SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solved: First real issue... parking brake burn, no AC, weird random squeal

2017 XC90 R, 20K miles. Minimal to no problems since purchase.

So I went out driving today and stopped at the grocery store, I had been driving about 20-40 minutes.

I started the engine, put it in reverse, and started to back up. The ride felt rough, like the parking brake was still engaged and that 'burning rubber' smell hit me.

I shut the car down, started it up again, activated/deactivated the parking brake a few times (it worked). Then drove home (about 5 min). No issues.

I went to drive the car later and almost immediately noticed the AC was not working. Hmmm..

I drove another 20 min, stopped for an hour. Then drove another 10 to head home. Upon rounding a corner on a downward incline, the engine made a kazoo like squeal heard near the front passenger side. I finished the turn and pulled over- the car was still making the sound (with the wheels straight). I shut the engine down, waited a moment, then restarted. I was able to drive home normally. I noticed nothing unusual in the passenger side wheel well, and nothing was smoking or otherwise unusual in the engine. There was a faint odor of burning plastic or rubber.

Volvo doesn't have any appointments for for almost two weeks. I'm kind of hoping this might just be a belt or something that my local repair shop could just deal with and I'll eat it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Two weeks for an appointment seems like an awfully long time!

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm not sure about the AC being related;
I had a loud medium pitched sound in reverse with one of my vehicles (not Volvo) one time. No noise moving forward, but returning it to reverse brings back the loud sound again. Turns out, it was a plastic stirrer wedged somewhere between two moving parts of the brake pad/caliper mechanism. When moving forward, the tail end of the plastic stirrer turned to one direction, and no longer pushes onto the disk brake rotor. Going backwards, it flipped back again and one tip came into contact under pressure, causing the very large alarming sound.

I don't think a kid stuck it there; it could have been road debris that got kicked up during travel and accidentally lodged itself just right.

Maybe some road debris also stuck between moving parts in the underbody (say, driveshaft) just enough that as you moved around and alternated between forward and reverse, the part interferes and frees itself intermittently?

In my case, the plastic stirrer had a rather bright color, so it was possible to spot that it didn't belong there.

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The time sequence of events is probably revealing. No AC for a while... Rough engine... burning rubber smell... harsh squeal... Sounds like a belt failed, got caught somewhere and started to burn, then gets caught up in the flywheels intermittently giving the sound you hear. I'm totally guessing here, I can't find a diagram of the 2016+ XC90 engine.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
2017 XC90 R, 20K miles. Minimal to no problems since purchase.

So I went out driving today and stopped at the grocery store, I had been driving about 20-40 minutes.

I started the engine, put it in reverse, and started to back up. The ride felt rough, like the parking brake was still engaged and that 'burning rubber' smell hit me.

I shut the car down, started it up again, activated/deactivated the parking brake a few times (it worked). Then drove home (about 5 min). No issues.

I went to drive the car later and almost immediately noticed the AC was not working. Hmmm..

I drove another 20 min, stopped for an hour. Then drove another 10 to head home. Upon rounding a corner on a downward incline, the engine made a kazoo like squeal heard near the front passenger side. I finished the turn and pulled over- the car was still making the sound (with the wheels straight). I shut the engine down, waited a moment, then restarted. I was able to drive home normally. I noticed nothing unusual in the passenger side wheel well, and nothing was smoking or otherwise unusual in the engine. There was a faint odor of burning plastic or rubber.

Volvo doesn't have any appointments for for almost two weeks. I'm kind of hoping this might just be a belt or something that my local repair shop could just deal with and I'll eat it.
I'd suggest one of two things:

1. Seeing if another local dealer has a sooner appointment available (if there's another you trust).

2. If the dealer is only one local, or one that you trust, I'd have it towed over to them. Ask to speak to Service manager, and see if they can throw you in a loaner until they can work in your vehicle.

Whatever you do, STOP DRIVING IT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'd suggest one of two things:

1. Seeing if another local dealer has a sooner appointment available (if there's another you trust).

2. If the dealer is only one local, or one that you trust, I'd have it towed over to them. Ask to speak to Service manager, and see if they can throw you in a loaner until they can work in your vehicle.

Whatever you do, STOP DRIVING IT.
Only one local dealer within 2 hrs.... no loaners as of yesterday... no appointments until after Labor day. LAME.

They only have one Volvo tech next week.

They said I could leave it with them and see if it gets worked in, but no guarantees. I don't have much choice here as the car is not safe to drive. It will have to be towed to the dealership!

You know what else is interesting here- no warning/error lights at all!

I took a look around the engine compartment this morning... no obvious belt issues. They appear intact.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Only one local dealer within 2 hrs.... no loaners as of yesterday... no appointments until after Labor day. LAME.

They only have one Volvo tech next week.

They said I could leave it with them and see if it gets worked in, but no guarantees. I don't have much choice here as the car is not safe to drive. It will have to be towed to the dealership!

You know what else is interesting here- no warning/error lights at all!
How far will Volvo on Call tow your car? AAA will tow it quite a distance. I’m not sure exactly how far but maybe two hours?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm near Bangor, ME. I've had a car towed by a local service to BMW in Portland before, so it can be done. That's a possibility.

Looks like Portland Volvo has lots of appointments available online too. I will call them on Monday.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
I'm near Bangor, ME. I've had a car towed by a local service to BMW in Portland before, so it can be done. That's a possibility.

Looks like Portland Volvo has lots of appointments available online too. I will call them on Monday.
Could try to get Volvo to tow it under their free towing program. If not, AAA Gold tows up to 100 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting... it could be a rotating component that went bad, not the belt itself.

That would explain why the AC went out first before the noise came about. Might also explain the intermittent nature of the problem at first.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Interesting... it could be a rotating component that went bad, not the belt itself.

That would explain why the AC went out first before the noise came about. Might also explain the intermittent nature of the problem at first.
Maybe A/C compressor stuck or mal-functioning. But parking brake could be a separate issue.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My truck started making a similar noise to that last spring. It turned out to be something called a synchronizer. I keep meaning to look up what that is and what it does but I never got around to it. Anyway, after three days in the shop, it was good as new. My truck is almost as old as my Volvo. The whole household is old, maybe my vehicles and my cat. Just one young dog. The old one crossed to the rainbow bridge a few months ago.

I so hope you can get your car towed to a dealership that will look at it this week.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
421 Posts
Based on the observation that you still had your power-steering working and electrical charging going while the AC dropped out,
this is likely a problem with the AC compressor motor stalling. My advice would be to contact the Volvo dealer, and get the service advisor to watch your video clip.
Then, take advantage of the breakdown towing services built into your warranty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts