SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XC70 (w/ just 70K miles)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I am currently car shopping for a new ride. Busy test driving several brands and models. Not that easy in this crazy market. Volvo is a strong contender: XC60, XC40 or a XC40 Recharge. I sold my wife’s 2016 Mazda 3 so the pressure is on!

My daily driver is a 2015 BMW X3 XDrive 3.5. Hope to upgrade this soon as well.

About 18 months ago I bought a 2007 XC70 wagon to serve as my sea kayak hauler for our little place on Orcas Island (part of the San Juan Islands chain off the coast of Canada and Washington).

I got to know a guy who owns a little independent Volvo garage in Seattle. I picked his brains for focusing on a solid used Volvo wagon. He stated I could be well served if I could find a 2007 (or close) XC70 with under a 100K miles. I spent about six weeks looking and found one: a mint 2007, sea foam green, with 65K original miles! It looked in stunning condition. I had it thoroughly inspected and the report was very solid. So, I bought it. The amazing seat comfort was a revelation. I am 6’4” and find this Volvo more comfortable than my X3. I used to drive a Subaru Outback but sold it due the poor (for me) seat comfort.

I replaced the factory radio with a new deck that gives me most of the modern tech: back up camera, touch screen controls, sound system control via the factory steering wheel audio buttons, a microphone and full Apple CarPlay.

I have no question here. Just wanted to introduce myself and point out how much I love this car! It has been flawless thus far. It is the perfect “island car” for my kayaks, dogs, lumber yard missions and trips on and off the island…

Cheers,

Max

Car Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
18,276 Posts
Nice wagon! Update the PCV banjo bolt check valve to 31325709 asap, other than that should be good for quite some time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I will research this some more. I can imagine the damage a check valve slipping into the intake manifold would cause!

Generally I hate doing manifold work, after many years of wrenching on my old 1976 FJ55 and 1978 FJ40 Land Cruisers…

·
Registered
18,276 Posts
Thanks! I will research this some more. I can imagine the damage a check valve slipping into the intake manifold would cause!

Generally I hate doing manifold work, after many years of wrenching on my old 1976 FJ55 and 1978 FJ40 Land Cruisers…
It’s not a terrible job.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
218 Posts
...I spent about six weeks looking and found one: a mint 2007, sea foam green, with 65K original miles! It looked in stunning condition....
Very nice!

·
Registered
18,276 Posts
If you have octopus arms. Get a really short 18 mm wrench.
Nah it’s a wagon. The extra 1.5” in front of the intake manifold makes all the difference.

Drop PS, move alt. All the room in the world.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
376 Posts
Nice car!
Soon after getting my V70 we went on a 2,000 mile road trip. These cars have the most comfortable seats of any car I have driven, including our 2016 V60 and definitely better than my BMW wagon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was shopping for a wagon I test drove a 2019 Outback: more sophisticated than the 2009 Outback I sold. I then tried a 2012 XC70 and the seat comfort improvement was obvious. I was tempted by this car but decided to keep looking. Luckily I found my 2007 model.

I know ”traditional“ station wagons are a fading breed on the landscape. I love mine. Even though this ride is not the sexy new thing I still get folks walking up to me to chat about XC70s which is cool. Volvos in general are very popular in Seattle…

·
Registered
18,276 Posts
When I was shopping for a wagon I test drove a 2019 Outback: more sophisticated than the 2009 Outback I sold. I then tried a 2012 XC70 and the seat comfort improvement was obvious. I was tempted by this car but decided to keep looking. Luckily I found my 2007 model.

I know ”traditional“ station wagons are a fading breed on the landscape. I love mine. Even though this ride is not the sexy new thing I still get folks walking up to me to chat about XC70s which is cool. Volvos in general are very popular in Seattle…
Swap in sport seats and you'll have the best ever fitted to any volvo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nothing ages a car like the onboard tech (or lack there of).

I swapped the factory sound system deck for a new drop in Pioneer system. Plus a microphone behind the rearview mirror for phone calls and a backup camera. This cost about $1000 installed. The face plate is model specific and looks very clean.

I can control the volume for audio and phone speaker function using the factory controls on the steering wheel. I get full Apple CarPlay with touch screen with maps, messaging, etc.

Nice upgrade that helps bridge this vintage Volvo into the modern era…

Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Steering wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gps navigation device Automotive navigation system

·
Premium Member
2022 V90CC B6/Platinum Grey/Lounge/Climate/Advanced/B&W
53 Posts
Wow. I had no idea this could be done. Now I won't be content until this happens for me.
Where did you find it and who installed? Just a local shop?
Great find on the XC BTW. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I had this done at the local Car Toys place.

I am very happy with this upgrade. It also has a DVD player. You lose the Volvo parking assist beeping with this install though. But the backup camera is totally worth it. I play my favorite radio stations via TuneIn which is great when you only get crummy radio reception.

There is a separete screen for audio/radio that is not part of Apple CarPlay if you are in a remote area with poor network coverage. On road-trips from Seattle I will play the radio, then switch over to streaming my fav radio stations via TuneIn once I lose regular FM reception. Once I am on the remote side of Orcas I sometimes lose the network signal (pretty remote and rugged on the east side) and will switch back to local FM stations (some from Vancouver and Victoria Canada).

This 2007 model has the compass on the rearview mirror. And it has a pretty decent reporting system for errors, warnings, gas milege, miles left in tank, etc. The heating and comfort tech is great. And with this new deck, microphone, camera and CarPlay system I really don’t have much “new car envy” considering how little I have invested in this car.

This XC70 has the best comfort & enjoyment to dollars ratio of any car I have ever owned…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck. One other thing: I made sure the install guy did not trash the factory Volvo audio deck. I have it safely stored in a box just in case some potential buyer wanted the car restored to factory stock condition…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I don’t have any part numbers. This was done at Car Toys over a year ago, maybe more? I would assume that the Pioneer deck options might included newer models…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts