SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I have already learned lots from reading just about every post in the OSD forum, and the planning has been fun (mostly) to pick up my '12 C30 Polestar R Design, however, my girlfriend and I have just spent the last 3 hours trying to nail down the logistics and we aren't any closer.

The basics:
2 full weeks (with travel time)
Arrive Goteborg July 29th, Pickup car July 30th

Originally we were going to end the trip driving to Amsterdam and flying home from there. Then after reading a tip we decided to save on the drop fee and gas for the longest leg of the trip (Copenhagen to Amsterdam) and drop the car back in Goteborg and just fly to Amsterdam.

Next we realized we had almost no time in Norway planned besides a rushed one night stay in Oslo so we decided to drop Norway. Onto our latest idea, dropping Amsterdam. Our theory is that we can more easily travel to Amsterdam on a future trip and we will keep the theme of this OSD trip solely to Scandinavia. I'm still not sold on this idea so hoping someone can convince me.

Here is the rough, most updated, itinerary:

Goteborg (1night)
Bergen (1 night)
Oslo (1 night)
Stockholm - Helsinki Ferry (1 night)
Jyvaskyla (1 night) - we are driving here to catch a day of WRC action at Rally Finland (always been on my bucket list)
Helsinki (2 nights) (thought about throwing in a quick ferry ride to Tallinn but not sure)
Ferry Helsinki - Stockholm (1 night)
Stockholm (2 nights)
Copenhagen (2 nights) (maybe a ferry ride to Germany just to get in some driving?)
Goteborg (last night, drop car, fly out next morning)

A bit about us: I like to drive, lots. She has a 5-6 hour max before she needs a break. We like the big urban cities but we don't want to miss out on some of the more rural areas (from pictures I have seen it looks remarkably like my home state.....Maine). We are going to try to mix it up as far as accommodations between some hotels and some Air BnB rentals. We aren't huge museum people or very touristy stuff, we love modern architect ( half of our 50s house is Scandinavian furniture) and design and we like getting out and about in the neighborhoods where locals live and play ( to really get the feeling of "living" there).

My biggest fear with trip: finding parking everywhere

Hopefully this helps and some of you chime in. This forum has been a gold mine, I already have a Capital One ATM card, no intl fee cash credit card and Andrews FCU GlobalTrek Visa on the way for my fool proof payment trifecta ( as I like to call it); and have been hunting for a used Garmin with Europe maps pre-loaded and it's all thanks to all the info here. Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
A first thought, drop the car in Gothenburg, take the train to Copenhagen ( you don't need a car there) and simply fly home from there. I understand the need to try and see it all, even when doing "only" Scandinavia, this would be much to hurried for us. While we hit Norway, we agreed that it was our favorite (we are nature lovers). We really like Stokcholm and Copnhagen too. The only thing we would have done differently, was to spend less time in Gothenburg (sorry), a Day was sufficient .

I guess moving around so frequently works for you, but we like a little more in depth travel. Good luck, what ever you choose will be great!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Debit - I got lots of other tips from your other posts.

We don't want to be hurried but we are treating this trip a bit different then our norm and making it somewhat more of a driving adventure. We went to Greece last year and India the year before that and never had a car and used mostly all public transportation beside an occasional scooter rental. We got bored after 3-4 days in same area (or island) so we don't want this to happen again but these are fairly big countries and I could see how it would be easy to stay just in Norway for the full two weeks (and still not have enough time to see it all).

Thank again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We just returned from 21 days -- 6 countries, 3000 miles -- our first Volvo.

I *had* to take the car on the Autobahn; the last time I drove on it we had an Opel GT Wagon that I got up to 100MPH (160KPH) by maxing out the engine. The S60 did not disappoint.

About 6 hours is our driving limit too but we did break it up with stops along the way to see interesting local attractions.

This forum may have doubled Andrews FCU's credit card accounts :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
This forum may have doubled Andrews FCU's credit card accounts :)

LOL!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are starting to narrow things down, make ferry reservation, got some hotels booked, some AirBNB contacts sent out...I am struggling with what to do with Norway though. Right now we only have one night in Oslo, the next night we need to make it to Stockholm at a reasonable hour.

Now I am thinking maybe forgo Oslo and keep driving right through and get somewhere closer to Bergen the first day while seeing some sights, then loop around and head back towards Sweden the next day.

I am also contemplating adding a night and doing the Norway in a Nutshell round trip from Oslo (with then night train back from Bergen). I would rather drive but these seems like a relatively hassle free and different way to see Norway in a day (a very long day). Who has done this? Is parking safe and easy at Oslo Central Station?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A lot depends on what you want to do in The Netherlands. If you just want to hang around Amsterdam proper you don't need the car. But there's a lot more to see and do in The Netherlands that having the car would be great for. And the Dutch roads are most excellent and easy to navigate.

Here's what we did with our first OSD trip (and I should note I used to live in The Netherlands):

Picked up the car at the FDC in the morning - did lunch and the factory tour.
Drove down the E6 to Malmo and then over the bridge to Copenhagen.
Stayed at the Kong Arthur - parked the car for a few days and walked to everything we did in Copenhagen.
(Not a great city to drive around in.)

Then - in one *long* day - drove from Copenhagen to the Utrecht area in The Netherlands. That was accomplished by going south in Denmark to the ferry - the highway runs right into the mouth of the boat and 45 minutes or so later you're rolling off into Germany. Drove, drove, drove and finally reached our destination. May have been 9 or 10 hours total driving - looking back, maybe too much. Could have broken it in half with an overnight somewhere in Germany.

Stayed at a real nice place in Holland away from the cities. Car was invaluable in getting to some of the sights and attractions. Also used the Dutch rail system (NS) to do a couple of things as well (no reason to drive into some cities).

For the end of the trip - booked a room at the Van de Valk Schiphol A4 hotel which is right on the motorway at the airport. Checked into the hotel dropping off our luggage, etc. Then drove the car north to the agent that takes the car in for the Amsterdam drop off location. A bit difficult to find but once there about 30 minutes is all it took. They called a taxi and we got a ride back to I think a train station where we went into Amsterdam. We spent the rest of our last day in Amsterdam - and when done took the train back to the airport and the shuttle back to the hotel. The next morning hotel shuttle to airport and we were on our way.

As for your north and east big circle plan: we just got back from our most recent OSD and did the triangle between Goteborg - Norway - Stockholm and Goteborg. My gut feeling is you have a couple of places you're going to where you're going to drive there, sleep and then get up and drive away. We didn't have time for Bergen ... but if you're driving there from the FDC and then the next day back to Oslo that really doesn't give you much time to do much / see stuff in Bergen. The drive from Oslo to Stockholm was a bit tiring - it is not all motorway (Interstate style highway) and if its raining it will be a bit more work.

You mentioned Tallin - here's an even crazier idea: Goteborg - Stockholm - Helsinki - Talin ... then drive through Latvia, Lithunia, Poland, Germany ... cheap to drop off at Bremerhaven ,,, or keep driving! Options would be Kiel to Goteborg ferry ... or drive up to Copenhagen ... to Malmo and Goteborg ... or north through Denmark to the ferry and to Sweden back to your starting point. Now that's a trip! (And what I would have done if we had 2 or more weeks this last time.)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
rpmccormick:
We drove Copenhagen - Roskilde - Rodby Ferry - Hamburg - Amsterdam. We spent a few hours in Roskilde before going to the ferry, overnighted in Hamburg.

Even without a stop in Roskilde, I thought driving direct to Amsterdam was a bit much for one day. Not impossible, just rough. And there were things we wanted to see along the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts