SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I've had my Momentum for just under two weeks, due to a couple road trips I have over 1,000 miles already. Just wondering, at what mileage should I get the first oil change?

I was thinking of waiting until the November software update is available but don't want to cause damage by not having had the oil changed sooner.

Also what should be the right oil change periods when using synthetic oil? On my 2005 XC90 using synthetic oil, I would typically have it done every 6,000 to 7,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Though I've had my Momentum for just under two weeks, due to a couple road trips I have over 1,000 miles already. Just wondering, at what mileage should I get the first oil change?

I was thinking of waiting until the November software update is available but don't want to cause damage by not having had the oil changed sooner.

Also what should be the right oil change periods when using synthetic oil? On my 2005 XC90 using synthetic oil, I would typically have it done every 6,000 to 7,000 miles.
According to the maintenance book that came with my XC90, you should change the oil and filter every 10,000 miles or 12 months (whichever comes first).

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am surprised the XC90 does not have a maintenance minder system that tells you it is time for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

10K. That's what it's engineered for. And everyone I spoke to at Volvo said it was a waste to do it any sooner, even if it took a year or more to reach that mileage. I am 5 months into my car and nowhere near a servicing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10K. That's what it's engineered for. And everyone I spoke to at Volvo said it was a waste to do it any sooner, even if it took a year or more to reach that mileage. I am 5 months into my car and nowhere near a servicing.
Thank you everyone. That's good to know.

·
Registered
559 Posts
10K is a lot! I remember the old rule of thumb used to be 3 months or 3000 miles, whichever came first. I'm assuming the car comes delivered with Synthetic oil?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
10K is a lot! I remember the old rule of thumb used to be 3 months or 3000 miles, whichever came first. I'm assuming the car comes delivered with Synthetic oil?
Yes.

And the trend has been changing for a while. Most cars go longer than 3K now, if not all newer cars. My Honda Pilot only needs an oil change about once a year too. Ironically our newer Honda Odyssey, with synthetic oil, doesn't make it as long, but still far better than 3K.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Ironically our newer Honda Odyssey, with synthetic oil, doesn't make it as long, but still far better than 3K.
What do you mean by "doesn't make it as long"; service interval requirements are shorter or do you find that it burns/dirties oil faster?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I dont want to mudden the waters with opinion initially so I`ll give you two scientifically and legally sound ways of determining this.

Scientifically:

1) During your first oil change, get an oil sample of the used oil, a sample of the new oil you will be using and send it in to one of the many oil analyzing companies. There you an find out scientifically what is the correct interval of oil changing. Is it 1k, 3k, 10k, 15k, or etc. Do this a couple of times and you should figure out what works for the engine

Legally:
Since I expect most owners to avail of dealership oil changes, Find the service manual and go with it, in addition to the maintenance minder on the xc. As long as you follow that your warranty will be legally sound.

Opinion:
1K break in oil changes is common. However some vehicles like Honda ship their engines with special break-in oils that are expected to be only changed after 3K miles
The 1K or 3K oil change is with the idea that engines usually are settling in and excess contaminants will be infused and needs to be removed from circulation asap

In regards to regular intervals, unless your vehicle is particularly hard on oil (FI or excess heat) synthetic oils usually can do between 5-7K easily (sometimes longer). However this can only be determined with those oil test resuts

In regards to the Extra long interval oil changes. Well its difficult to say outright. BMW, a leader in extended oil changes after switching to a 4 years of free maintenance offer, up until 2 years ago had 15K mile oil changes on BMW LL-01 speced oil. However, recently they went down from 15K oil changes to 10K oil changes with the same speced BMW LL-01 oil. Volvo probably has a spec note with their recommended oil interval. I would use that as a good starting point. If your results show abnormal wear or additive issues, you can play around with interval and oil brand (preferable to stick to same visc).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does anyone know what oil type is recommended?
We are about to do a 3000mi road trip and putting together an emergency kit....

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dealer emphasized it must be done at 10K or even a tad earlier. I cannot remember exactly what she said, but she implied that in addition to voiding the warranty it would do something else ... has anyone been told such a thing? I will check with her very soon.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
My dealer emphasized it must be done at 10K or even a tad earlier. I cannot remember exactly what she said, but she implied that in addition to voiding the warranty it would do something else ... has anyone been told such a thing? I will check with her very soon.
Good idea to familiarize yourself with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Essentially, everything you think you know about warranty is likely wrong. You don't have to get service from the dealer - you don't have to use a specific kind of oil, at specific intervals. Your only duty to the warranty is that you take "reasonable care" to avoid an issue. Reasonable is intentionally vague to protect the consumer.

So running your motor without oil is going to be your issue - everything else, within reason, is covered by warranty.

Think of a warranty as a contract - it's not something that one side can arbitrarily decide they don't want anymore.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Getting mine done this week just under 6,000 miles and this will be my routine. (Between 6-7k)
Synthetic oil should last 10k miles but you wonder about the oil filter itself.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Getting mine done this week just under 6,000 miles and this will be my routine. (Between 6-7k)
Synthetic oil should last 10k miles but you wonder about the oil filter itself.
If mfgr says 10k, why do you choose 6k? Why not 4K just to be safe?

I just don't understand why so many people think so many different things about oil life.
Certainly your car and your $$.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts