SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all XC60 owners,

When should the first oil change be done? Is it 7500 miles?

Should the oil be changed after the "break-in" period (1000 miles?!)?
Well, actually is there any "break-in" period for XC60? I am curious..

Thanks..

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
When should the first oil change be done? Is it 7500 miles?
If you're leasing...........sure.

Should the oil be changed after the "break-in" period (1000 miles?!)?
Probably a bit early; especially for a non turbo.

Well, actually is there any "break-in" period for XC60? I am curious..

Thanks..
Officially......no. Realistically, 7500 miles is too long for the initial fill (unless leasing).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It's even trickier now that the '13s have a 10K interval! Pretty much agree on the lease vs buy(except IF you're not sure IF you might buy the lease vehicle). I'd have a hard time waiting the 10K (OR the 7500) in a vehicle I planned to keep. Just old school, I reckon. I've sort of 'settled' on 5000 as a good number for that first change, although 3000 might make sense IF one believes the engines are actually breaking in during those first miles. Some old-timers would caution AGAINST keeping things TOO slick during break-in. Type of driving would factor in, also. Cruising on the highway or stop and go traffic in 100+ degree heat...hmmm.

Of course, if we're talking about dealer oil changes, we're in the $100 range if 'we' purchase the early swap.(a smidge less for syn-blend, but that gets us into another discussion). In the scheme of a 40-50 thousand dollar vehicle, it's a drop in the bucket...BUT it's still a hundred bucks 'we' don't 'need' to spend. ;) Now that I think about it, I don't know the cost of a 3.2 oil change...the T6 holds nearly TWO gallons of oil...contributing to the higher cost, especially with syn or blend.

Don't know where you are in Cali, but the weather might be a factor, also. We're about to leave the 100 degree days(I hope) and get to some more moderate temps. I might consider an oil change to start the new weather season(IF you get seasonal changes in temps where you are). It's not a giant factor, but ambient temps of 100+ every day vs 75 CAN make a difference in the operating temp of the engine(NOT like the old days, but still SOME difference, I believe). IF you have 3000 miles as you enter 'winter' driving conditions, I'd consider an oil change at that time.(I consider it more if you 'broke in' the vehicle in the mild spring and were headed toward a very hot summer.)

On the other hand, 'my' service advisor said flatly that they 'just don't see oil related failures' in Volvos that have been maintained within reason. YMMV and all that depending on your driving conditions, dust, weather, mountain climbing, towing, etc.

HEY!....It's an election year! You don't expect straight answers, do you? ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would never trust any oil filter ever made far beyond 5000 miles let alone 7500 miles (and certainly not for 10,000 miles as previously mentioned). Changing your oil & filter between 3000-5000 miles is a good practice IMHO as a former auto mechanic.

One thing I'd like to note is that several engine makers are now placing oil filters on top of the engine or at least making them accessable so that the filter screws are facing down. This allows proper drainage once the engine/oil pump stops and also allows for the filter to be easily changed without leaking excess oil. In the instance you would like to use oil made for long change intervals (7500 miles, 10k+ miles, etc) you could easily change the filter at your discretion. I hope Volvo does this with ALL their engines (and everyone else too!).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a feeling that 7500 miles is a little bit long distance for oil change. Is synthetic oil used by default in XC60?

I think 7500 miles is due for the first Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance per the warranty.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The intervall in europe is 18750miles (30000km), with a long life oil (5w-30 SAE A5/B5) of course, but the flter is the same.

/Martin

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The intervall in europe is 18750miles (30000km), with a long life oil (5w-30 SAE A5/B5) of course, but the flter is the same.

/Martin
Is there any typo? 18750 miles??!? :eek:

OMG. :eek:

I can't imagine.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I have a feeling that 7500 miles is a little bit long distance for oil change. Is synthetic oil used by default in XC60?
Factory fill through MY2012 is a synthetic blend (or is supposed to be.....depending what the dealer stocks). The 10K interval is based on now using a full synthetic. I can already see the service departments using a blend in cars that should get synthetic. That said, the only true test is to do an oil analysis.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is there any typo? 18750 miles??!? :eek:

OMG. :eek:

I can't imagine.
No typo, and not a problem if you use propper oil. I've understood you rather change oil often in NA than buying expensive oil that lasts!? Servicentervall have been this long on volvocars since my2005 in europe.

/Martin

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Servicentervall have been this long on volvocars since my2005 in europe.
And again I say, only an analysis will tell you for sure. Some manufacturers have tried these intervals and ended up with sludge. That said, an NA engine won't be as hard on oil as a DI, turbo, etc. I plan to send off my 5K oil and see what the details are.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have made a short visit at the service department of my local Volvo dealership, The service advisor confirmed that first oil change is normally scheduled at 7500 miles (for MY12) indeed.
Well, I guess I will get it done when my car reaches 7500 miles then...

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I have made a short visit at the service department of my local Volvo dealership, The service advisor confirmed that first oil change is normally scheduled at 7500 miles (for MY12) indeed.
Well, I guess I will get it done when my car reaches 7500 miles then...
That is the first S&S freebie...........but it doesn't mean that you can't have it changed (on your dime) before that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts