SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife rear ended a car last Fri. Very minor damage to the Xc90, cracked the chrome trim in the center opening on the front bumper and a vertical dent on the bumper cover. No biggie. The lady who she hit also didn't have any noticeable damage and said she was fine. Police was called but the lady was pretty nice about the whole thing. I got a call from State Farm today and the claims lady said that now the lady is claiming both damage and injury from the minor accident last Fri. Wife is flaming MAD since she really thought the lady was being extra nice during the time of the accident. I'll update and see what happens next. SUCKS:mad:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sad....I guess she had time to think about it and later decided she was injured!!!

Put it in the hands of your insurance carrier. I bet they deal with this kind of stuff all the time....... :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like a good neighbor State Farm is there...I hope. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
That sucks. She must have called one of those TV Lawyers to "turn her wreck into a check". [I only laugh because I do personal injury work, but I'm not on TV].

That being said, when my wife was rear ended in the XC90 earlier this year, so said she was fine at the scene, but was really hurting the next day - at which time both of the insurance carriers were calling to get details about what happened. She did tell them she was aching and might need medical treatment. However, she ultimately felt better a few days later and we didnt file an injury claim. But, in the first few days which follow, the insurance folks are often very sensitive to finding out whether a claim MIGHT be made - whether it comes to fruition or not. Hang tight - you never know.

·
Registered
668 Posts
All people respond differently to incidents. I have been in my fair share to know that some people get upset belligerent etc, some go into a state of shock, some just try to make the best out of it, and some are completely unmoved. The day after any incident will tell the story of bruising etc. Not only that people often become hyper sensitive after an incident and are likely to report aliments that they would normally shrug off, not because they want a check, but because they are afraid that if aliment continues and they did not mention it early enough there is no hope of getting reimbursed for the injury. Unfortunately too many people have taken advantage of the system, making it hard on the honest person. Hopefully the injuries are temporary and they make a full recovery. The reason you have insurance it to cover such things, hopefully state farm will step up to the plate. I know that my insurance company has stepped up to the plate on my behalf multiple times, and they never seem to upset about it (no sudden rate fluctuations). I have had the same policy for over 15 years now, they are not the cheapest, in fact they cost me about 50% more than some of the cut rate companies, but I have never had an issue with them stepping up to the plate and that is worth the extra premium.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I backed into someone in my XC90 last Saturday. (First accident ever!) Anyways I ended up causing $1100 worth of damage to a Nissan (Dent and have to repaint fender). I suppose that is a problem for driving a tank :) Especially when you were crawling in reverse. I would feel bad for someone who rams into me.

Ah there's some comedic relief!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: State Farm came and took pixs of the XC90. She said that from the shape of the dent, it looks like my wife hit the hitch of the other SUV. It be would interesting to see the pixs of the damage taken of the other SUV. Do you think State Farm would email us those photos so my wife could verify the actual damage?

·
Registered
111 Posts
50/50 shot on that. I would lean to no because you run into the issue that it is their work product and might be a privacy issue. I am unsure of SC laws in regards to that. If there was any question on damage you can ask them and they will measure out point of impacts to make sure it all lines up. Depending on the type of car a hit to the hitch can be nothing, or cause some pretty bad damage. With the light damage on your side I would assume nothing bad on the other persons car.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Depending on how the hitch was mounted, could be no damage or could be major damage.

When I'm driving my suv's I always drive with a 10,000 lb rated ball because that's essentially the first layer of protection.

On a body on frame SUV, there shouldn't be any damage. On an unibody SUV, there will be some damage.

Pain does not manifest itself immediately.

Sucks, but hope all works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts