SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was waiting this time to come to see how much difference it will be driving my xc90 for 11 hours no stop. Im so happy that i bought this suv. Every year we make this trip and is increible how confortable this seats are. Also the the xc90 feels really safe at different speeds. We were 4 adults, 2 childrens and a lot of this loaded on my xcargo and trunk and this beauty did move like anything was loaded lol.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have run the XC90 for 22 hours straight (Westchester to Key Biscayne) and it is the most comfortable vehicle ever for inhaling the long miles. I have also done it in a Cayenne, MB G500, MB ML320, and MG G55. Most painful was the MB G55 (way too much motor noise). Enjoy and do not be tempted as the others ain't even close. (PS I also averaged around 23 to 25 mpg on the Volvo trips - the G55 averaged 15.5 mpg)!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed. I am coming from my VW Touareg and the seats in the XC90 are amazing. Can't wait for the first road trip.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I drive from Houston TX to Breckenridge Colorado every year for a ski trip. First year I did it in a 2008 Subaru STi. Bumpy ride, super cramped, very noisy. Nope.

Last year I did it in the XC90 V8. Soft, comfortable, V8 power, regular gas, and averaged about 18mpg - this because of carrying 5 people in the car + cargo box on the roof + 2 snowboards and 2 sets of skis in the roof rack.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've done 4 very long return trips (so that makes 8 20hr ish drives in total), all towing a 2000lb trailer. The V8 sure eats up the miles just purring along at 2K rpm.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Did 2600 miles in Europe in 3 weeks back in 2004, and 5300 miles in 2 weeks - up to Jasper, Canada and back to LA in 2009 with many 10h+ driving days...plus numerous 700mi trips to Mammoth and back...I said so many times...XC90 is a perfect family car...V8 has the best seats out of all Volvo I have had so far...deeper and better shaped than in my otherwise still excellent S80

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with all, xc90 is amazing, just something that i noticed is that traveling at 70-75 mph is not cheap lol my mpg went down. Of course the cargo on the roof didnt help either.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I agree with all, xc90 is amazing, just something that i noticed is that traveling at 70-75 mph is not cheap lol my mpg went down. Of course the cargo on the roof didnt help either.
I drive from Evergreen, Co to my mother's house in the DFW area once a year. Yes, and going the speed limit (as opposed to going 80 to 85mph) makes a big difference in gas mileage.

I have a big problem driving under 90 mph because of the wide open spaces and the incredible ride of the XC90. 70mph seems like 40mph. Now, I just put the cruise control on at 70mph to avoid being pulled over. Somehow I've avoided being pulled over on that drive, but my daughter, who always goes the speed limit has been. Go figure. Part of the pleasure of driving the XC90 on long trips is the incredible ride.

·
Registered
953 Posts
While I do like the seats on the xc90, I personally find that the comfort seats on the e60/61 are much better suited for long drives.

When I was doing a 8 hour round trip, all highway, twice a week for about 30 weeks, is when I formed this opinion, but still I agree, xc90 seats are really good.

I recently noticed honda's headrests in the civic look a lot like the volvo. I dont think the geometry of the volvo headrests has changed in a long time, anyone?

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Oh yeah! I drove from Maryland to L.A. and BACK! The XC90 is great for trips. Will hopefully be trying a trip to Italy in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to momentum volvo today at houston to pick up some parts for my s60, omg i live th R design on the xc90, maybe in a few years i will get one lol.....anyway, im going back on sunday so another 11hours trip to enjoy again.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I recently noticed honda's headrests in the civic look a lot like the volvo. I dont think the geometry of the volvo headrests has changed in a long time, anyone?
I have noticed a number of items where it looks like Honda has copied Volvo (or vice versa?), most notably tail lights.

A few weeks after I got the XC90 Sport, we drove from Chicago to Bar Harbor Maine. We drove exactly 3K miles in 1 week. The XC90 was fantastic, except the sport suspension made a few back roads through the Acadia National Forest unbearable.

One of the reasons I got the sport version was for the upgraded seats. After 4 Volvos, I prefer the seats in the 2001 S60 T5 - they were by far the most comfortable.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree the bucket seats on my s60 t5 are amazing

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I climbed into a friends 2005 XC90 T5 the other day and was amazed by how bad the seats were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts