SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back from a twelve day road trip from CT to Orlando and Siesta Key FL in our XC40. The trip totaled a little over 2,800 mikes and the XC40 proved to be a great road trip vehicle.

We drive down to FL with an overnight stay. The first day was over 16 hours and over 900 miles. I always thought the seats were very comfortable, but you really see how comfortable they are after 16 hours. I felt great after each 16 hour day of driving. The seats in my GTI and my Jeep GC start to make me sore after 12 hours of driving, the Volvo seats are the best I’ve ever driven on.

The XC40 was more fuel efficient than I thought it would be. We averaged 29.5 mpg on the trip down and 31.8 mpg on the trip back. Much better than the 18 mpg I get in my Jeep GC.

The creaky seat that my dealership fixed before the trip was no longer a problem, but that fix made us notice that some of the creaky noise was also coming from the center console armrest. It’s going in for an oil change on Monday now that is has 10,800 miles on it so I’ll have them look at the console.

Another problem I had was 10 miles from my house a rock was kicked up and hit my windshield. I now have a six inch crack in it.

During the whole trip, I only saw one other Volvo XC40. It was a denim blue Inscription around Baltimore this morning.

Overall, we were really happy with the XC40 on the trip. It keeps showing us more and more reasons why buying it was the best choice.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We just got back from a twelve day road trip from CT to Orlando and Siesta Key FL in our XC40. The trip totaled a little over 2,800 mikes and the XC40 proved to be a great road trip vehicle.

We drive down to FL with an overnight stay. The first day was over 16 hours and over 900 miles. I always thought the seats were very comfortable, but you really see how comfortable they are after 16 hours. I felt great after each 16 hour day of driving. The seats in my GTI and my Jeep GC start to make me sore after 12 hours of driving, the Volvo seats are the best I’ve ever driven on.

The XC40 was more fuel efficient than I thought it would be. We averaged 29.5 mpg on the trip down and 31.8 mpg on the trip back. Much better than the 18 mpg I get in my Jeep GC.

The creaky seat that my dealership fixed before the trip was no longer a problem, but that fix made us notice that some of the creaky noise was also coming from the center console armrest. It’s going in for an oil change on Monday now that is has 10,800 miles on it so I’ll have them look at the console.

Another problem I had was 10 miles from my house a rock was kicked up and hit my windshield. I now have a six inch crack in it.

During the whole trip, I only saw one other Volvo XC40. It was a denim blue Inscription around Baltimore this morning.

Overall, we were really happy with the XC40 on the trip. It keeps showing us more and more reasons why buying it was the best choice.
Maybe thats the XC40 in the parking garage by my work,lol Marlylad isnt Volvo country.....see more of the sedans....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow, thanks for the report.

When we did our first long road trip (NYC to Cap May, NJ) we also averaged around 29-31 MPG on the highway. Peaking around 32 MPG. This is on Eco mode with ideal traffic situation.

I agree with the seats, very comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My center console is also creaky and its driving me crazy. I actually think it's the armrest top lid rubbing against the inside of the center console. Let us know how you make out at the dealer. I'm still a 1000 miles away from my first service appointment.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For that good gas mileage, what are you guys driving at on the highway? 65 MPH? 85 MPH? Sometimes it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For that good gas mileage, what are you guys driving at on the highway? 65 MPH? 85 MPH? Sometimes it makes a big difference.
We were between 65 and 70 MPH 95% of the time. We had A/C on for the entire ride. The biggest difference really is the minimal stop-start. In our daily morning commute, we average 17-22 MPG depending on the traffic situation.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Between 70-78 for most of the trip. Certain section were 55 mph speed limit do we were 65ish. I don’t like to be the fastest guy on the highway and we were traveling during spring break and saw a lot more speed traps compared to the same trip we did last Sept.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My center console is also creaky and its driving me crazy. I actually think it's the armrest top lid rubbing against the inside of the center console. Let us know how you make out at the dealer. I'm still a 1000 miles away from my first service appointment.
I think our issue is also the top lid. I’ll let you know what I find out on Monday.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think our issue is also the top lid. I’ll let you know what I find out on Monday.
@Ries , the dealer look the lid off my center console today and adjusted it and installed it again. I only drove it 10 minutes on the way home and it wasn’t creaking.

Now that the seat and cons9le aren’t creaking, it’s finally the quiet vehicle I thought it should be.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Wonderful! Some reviewers had noted that while the XC40's seats were excellent, they weren't quite as good as the ones on larger models. Handling 16 hours is certainly good enough!

Due to various circumstances we had to delay the OSD for a year and are debating about either replacing our Outback with an XC60 or XC90, or our little Impreza with an XC40 and still haven't made up our minds.

I saw an Amazon blue XC40 with a white roof near my new job in Middletown. Yours?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also like the seat comfort, 20,000 miles in slightly less than a year. I really like the "seat extender" that gives extra thigh support.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wonderful! Some reviewers had noted that while the XC40's seats were excellent, they weren't quite as good as the ones on larger models. Handling 16 hours is certainly good enough!

Due to various circumstances we had to delay the OSD for a year and are debating about either replacing our Outback with an XC60 or XC90, or our little Impreza with an XC40 and still haven't made up our minds.

I saw an Amazon blue XC40 with a white roof near my new job in Middletown. Yours?
I live in Wallingford but do go to Middletown ever so often. I used to commute up 91 to Hartford in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts