SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A journalist from the Swedish magazine Auto Motor och Sport got to test drive the S90 in a simulator and then an early chassis prototype.

The Google Translate result can be read here:

I have gotten a lap around the Nurburgring with Sweden next pride!
The time was 10:40 mediocre but as I drove by once in a 25-million simulator!
Yes, so far it has gone, now we test drive new cars in computing!
My låtsasbil had a trimmed VEA engine of about 400 horses with four-wheel drive, but the steering was not the right nor the body.
Best time among Volvo's engineers is 8.44!
Let's start from the beginning: Volvo invited to chassidag to tell you how to work with the development of the SPA chassis and as a little bonus, we were then "run" the new S90 Digital!
First körintrycken: stable, safe, predictable - a genuine Volvo!
A little later I actually taste the SPA chassis in the S80 for real!
Thus the first "mules" of S90 and impresses more.
I do not run a single time on Hällered winding test track even though the car called Costello lacks ESP.
It is therefore a first prototype of the new Volvo chassis that among other things was used to persuade Volvo management that invest in the new lavish chassis.
The emphasis seems extremely low, but that's probably just the extremely fine attenuation who cheat a little.
No matter, very moderate understeer and really entertaining!
I know that the new S90 is even faster through the curves, but also more comfortable over bumps. Costello feels like a very finely tuned car, sporty but not uncomfortable. Good linear guide and a fine balance despite the heavy five-cylinder engine sits in. The car is from 2008 and looks like any other S80 anything but a little broader.
Compared with the new XC90 feels Costello as a sports car, really really athletic!
At the same time on the track going several copies of the new S90 completely unmasked! But the phone and camera, we were forced to relinquish. It looks like our pictures, but larger, more confident, better looking!
Quite front angry! Special acts.
Handsome!
A longer report on Volvo's chassis development will in the paper magazine, which also can be read digitally!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Hope they release it soon. Looks like should be ready for a pre-release now. But production schedule probably has to be sometime next year as factory is all booked for XC90. And factory in China will only start S90/S90L later next year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
At least he drove a car with chassis of S90, though the car is a S80 built in 2008.

Hope Volvo will get more reporters over to test drive real S90. :)
This is the bit that interests me:

"Samtidigt på banan åker flera exemplar av nya S90 helt omaskerade! Men telefon och kamera var vi tvingade att lämna ifrån oss. Den ser ut som på våra bilder men större, självsäkrare, snyggare!
Ganska ilsken front! Speciell akter.
Snygg!"

At the same time on the course there are several new S90s completely undisguised. But we had to leave our mobil and camera when we arrived. It looks like our pictures, but bigger, more self-assured, better looking!
Quite an angry front-end. Special rear.
Good looking!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
"Unfortunately, while the tuning of the Costello is ‘very close’ to the production S90, the latter will not have the same sharpness of steering"

So S90 Polestar at least will get the sharpness of steering?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hm, moving away from McPherson struts in the front. Intriguing choice! As long as it's not as much of a PITA to service as the Audi 4-link front suspension, I am 100% on board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts