SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

First inspection and diagnostic results

721 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TrooperKhan 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I divulge...

What hardware do I need to fenagle a VIVA interface or some form of OBD2 to PC logging and code clearing interface?

I don't mind picking up a cheapie ebay one, they do the job.... but when in Gothenburg... I've yet to visit Gothenburg actually but y'know what I mean.

Chartrand tires was the only open garage i could limp schwiftwågen to the day after the election when the mass airflow gave up the goose. Thanks Harper, good riddance.

Asking 220 or so installed. Not mirin.

Is this a part I can reasonably order and install with:

Socket set
Wrench set
WD40
drill
Screwdrivers
Torx bits
Hex bits
Head mounted flashlight
Will power
The force (jedi light side)
No lift though (turns out size does matter)

All 4 brakes are apparently cooked. Discs are looking brassy at this point, no idea how this brick is even stopping.

Asking 2000$ installed lmfanope

Where does the community advise I purchase pads, discs and calipers?

Looking forward to painting those fresh hub rims and calipers gunmetal with about 5 coats of clear before installing.

Blessed with a pretty legit bus system and headphones, reading and catching up with you lot until that's done.

The rear left end link is loose, apparently this will throw off the alignment, so I'm being told to change this. I could order this from another garage, have my regular chap near home install it (Chartrand decline to install parts not ordered with their margin, wtv I can respect that)

Don't mind having it taken to a proper alignment shop then. Glad he mentioned that.

Where should I order one from?

I'm told locally sourced parts are a wiser way to go to avoid fitment issues....

They make nice margins off the take my money crowd at 200$ for a battery installed, aware that canadian tire sells more reasonably margined ones, is there anything more cold weather durable than the average for about the same price?

Need a jack and Jack stands. Being offered one for $180 for a 3T one by a local parts shop. Down to do a harbor freight run if it comes to that.

And that's the gist of the safety related stuff that needs to be done by first snow fall. My wishlist and progress will go in another thread.

My Angus is peppered.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!

(I couldn't resist)

You need a DICE box to interface a PC with VIDA. All of the Chinese copies come with a DICE.

To change a MAF all you need is a screwdriver and maybe some torx bits.

Pads&rotors I'd say FCPeuro. I go Bosch Quietcast for pads and Meyle for rotors...

#3 ·
What year is your car? There are different rear rotors depending on vin and year so make sure you get the right ones. As for pads and rotors there are many good brands. I've been using Akebono pads for a while now and have no complaints. Rotors for the volvo I buy local whatever they have in stock because I have to service 3 different Volvo's that have different size rotors in their model years, so I quit buying online.

As for the maf, that's a 20 minute job with basic tools. Battery? I go with interstate. Jacks? I have an aluminum 1.5 ton harbor freight jack for the cars, and a non low profile 12 ton bottle jack for the xc90 from hf as well and they work. No issues. Always use jack stands, always chock the wheels, always be careful.

You can try cleaning the maf before replacing it also.

#4 ·
The MAF is literally a 10 minute job start to finish (I just did one). You will need a flat blade screwdriver (or 7mm socket) for the band clamp and a T25 torx for the two bolts holding the unit to the airbox. I would suggest putting some lube around the o-ring side to help with seating but it is not needed.

I run gel cells in my cars and you can now get them from local parts stores (Optima is one but the bigger chains make their brands as well).

As for the jack and stands, concur with others and say get from HF as they are cheaper and get the job done.

#5 ·
The MAF is literally a 10 minute job start to finish (I just did one). You will need a flat blade screwdriver (or 7mm socket) for the band clamp and a T25 torx for the two bolts holding the unit to the airbox. I would suggest putting some lube around the o-ring side to help with seating but it is not needed.

I run gel cells in my cars and you can now get them from local parts stores (Optima is one but the bigger chains make their brands as well).

As for the jack and stands, concur with others and say get from HF as they are cheaper and get the job done.
Awesome. Possum.

Just got my 1st kompressor. A 1/5 hp 100 psi Mastercraft. Special for 50 $, 100$ all in including hose and attachements and a moisture filter.

Cannot wait to clean this MAF.

What solution do I use?

I currently have:
50% medical alcohol
Mineral spirits
WD40
RainX

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Only use specific MAF cleaner, as an example NAPA sells a spray can of the stuff that's all you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.