SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

first of all I would like to thank, publicly (I know good service is hard to find these days so praise is due), Scott Hart and Jerrad Irsch at IPD...They answered (esp. Jerrad) all of my questions, went out of their way to send me lots of material which helped me make up my mind and go with IPD when I was ready to go another direction. They also made me feel comfortable since I was a bit nervous doing something this drastic to my car...

Here is what I have experienced, so far: WOW!

Without being too dramatic and without having any dyno printouts/results to add to my comments, I must say that the difference is DRAMATIC!!! I did not know what to expect exactly. I have driven customers' cars that have been upgraded by IPD (1998 C70, 1998 S70 T-5, etc.) so I had a basic idea but this is something else!

After driving the car for about a mile or so at normal speeds in order for the engine to warm up, I started to push it progressively. Did rolling starts, starts from standstill, acceleration in all gears at different speeds and I can sum it up in this: 1st gear is SCARY, 2nd & 3rd gears are UNBELIEVABLE, 4th gear feels like the old 3rd wound up and ready to go so you can imagine now, and 5th gear is impressive. What impressed me the most was the fact that the acceleration is more even than what it was, it is available at any time and in a tremendously more impressive way and the GOBS (I cannot emphasize the amount of torque that my car has all of a sudden) is torrid but not overwhelming. Torque steer is slightly more noticeable in the 2nd gear. In the 1st gear, you got to watch as the tires will light up in an instant. In 2nd gear, if you keep pushing it, STC will keep activating, and on wet pavement STC activated when I pushed it full throttle on 3rd gear!!! Overall, even at normal driving speeds, the car has CRISP power available and you can choose how much to use. I am looking forward to enjoying even more this weekend, the car feels like it got a new life! 0-60 MUST BE at extremely low 6 secs.

No codes, no messages generated, just plugged the ECU and started right up!

I wish I could also upgrade the exhaust but my wife hates noise; I had it done (dual) in my 1998 V70R and she could never get used to it...

That's all, for now!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does an upgrade like that void the warranty? Any long-term damage to the engine? I am not very familiar with chip upgrades....

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by grumpsy:
Does an upgrade like that void the warranty? Any long-term damage to the engine? I am not very familiar with chip upgrades....
It better not! I can't see why it would unless any damage caused to the engine/drivetrain can be proved that was done by the ECU upgrade...pretty hard. Long term damage to the engine? Not sure and I really do not plan to take the car to the racetrack for drag racing. I just enjoy fast (when conditions allow me) and quick-responding cars, especially since my wife and I had to compromise and get a wagon instead of what we really wanted, an S60 T5M. I also do not keep the oil longer than 4,000 to 5,000 miles and use full synthetic. I am a stickler with scheduled and preventative maintenance and I do expect the car to last into the "6 figures". Beyond that, there is not too much more I can do. One of my good customers, has upgraded both his cars; a 1998 C70 M, and a 1998 S70 T-5 A...In the C70, he already has 78,000+ miles w/ no problems. The S70 has 60K+, same thing. So, I am hopeful that my car will not be affected negatively by this upgrade.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Hi Yannis,

Thanks for the nice post, we're glad to hear that your ECU arrived on schedule and that you're happy with the performance. Any feedback that we may add to our instructions or literature to improve the process?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yannis -

You're sure it wasn't the new cargo cover giving you the extra HP?

Back when I thought I would keep my car, IPD's chip was one item that I just couldn't wait to have. Talked to Scott about it way back when they picked up the white V70 - the chip was just a dream back then. GREAT to hear that IPD is still on top of their game, and that you're so thrilled with your "new" engine. Ooooh. I'm jealous now!

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy though.

Regards,
Darell

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by darell:
Yannis -

You're sure it wasn't the new cargo cover giving you the extra HP?

Regards,
Darell
Who knows? It could be! But it provides my car with one heck of kick in the butt..in that case, I think that I got a DEAL from you (I did anyway!)...Thanks for the kind words.

Yannis

P.S. It does feel like a "new engine", Darell...amazing upgrade!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts