SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off we have about 6600 miles on it so far and overall I could not be more pleased. The ride quality and the sheer luxury of this car is just over the top IMO. I absolutely love it. However, there are a few little quirks that have led me to wonder why would they do this.

1. The seat memory function works a little odd IMO. Instead of just pressing the button and the memory moving to the final position, you literally have to hold the button in until the seat finishes its cycle. For the life of me I cannot figure out why it would be designed this way, as it doesn't make any sense at all.
2. The seat memory buttons are not linked to the side mirror positions. The side mirrors are electric, so why would they not be included in the seat memory? It would also be nice if the rear view mirror was attached to the memory as well, but it isn't even electric so it wouldn't be possible.
3. The navigation system is so bad its hard to describe. We have given up using it altogether because it will sometimes literally drive us around in a giant circle just to get back to a highway we were close to before we even started. Its mind boggling at the things it tries to make us do. We have played with the settings on it several times changing from ECO and Fastest route etc, but its just plain stupid. We have to hook up our phones and use Apple carplay in order to navigate with any sense.
4. This isn't really something that is wrong, but I really wish there was a way to push the rear seat back a little more when you are not using the 3rd row. Its nice having that extra cargo space, but I would love to have a little bit of that space for my 2nd row of seats too.
5. I can only use the lane assist when on the highway/Interstate. Its really annoying on normal roads and one time I moved over for a bicycle on the edge of the road and the car tried to swerve me back into him when I approached the center line. Scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting it. Other than that I really love the pilot assist on the interstate and the adaptive cruise control etc.
6. I can't get the foot motion detector that opens up the rear hatch to ever work properly. Mine is placed to the side because we had a different bumper package installed that is all metal and has a factory tow package installed. Sometimes the hatch release will actually even activate when I'm walking close to the vehicle in the back, and other times I can't get it to active at all no matter where I put my foot. On the plus side, I rarely need to use that feature anyway.

I forgot one.
7. I noticed one time when the mat wasn't aligned properly in the back it prevented the hatch from closing all the way. I didn't even know it didn't close until I came back outside later and saw my hatch open. I would love some sort of alert to my phone telling me something like this which IMO would be vital information. There needs to be an alarm if you have the car turned off and the door is left open after a certain amount of time. If it had been raining I would have really been screwed.

Just minor issues and I could go on and on about all the things I love about the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
2. The seat memory buttons are not linked to the side mirror positions. The side mirrors are electric, so why would they not be included in the seat memory? It would also be nice if the rear view mirror was attached to the memory as well, but it isn't even electric so it wouldn't be possible.
Are you sure about this? MY16 manual says they are linked to the seat memory function

Storing the position*
The mirror positions are stored in the key memory* when the vehicle has been locked with the
remote key. When the vehicle is unlocked with
the same remote key, the mirrors and the driver's
seat adopt the stored positions when the driver's
door is opened. The mirrors' position can also be
stored in the power seat's* memory

·
Registered
110 Posts
Press the seat button while the door is open, it'll go through the whole cycle and you won't need to hold it down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure about this? MY16 manual says they are linked to the seat memory function

Storing the position*
The mirror positions are stored in the key memory* when the vehicle has been locked with the
We have both looked at the mirrors and can't see them moving. I will have to pay more attention next time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Press the seat button while the door is open, it'll go through the whole cycle and you won't need to hold it down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I hope this is correct. I will try it out and see if it works with the door open. Not sure why that would need to be the case though. I guess they figure if the person before you was really short you may not be able to get into the car? Even so why wouldn't it work the same with the door shut? Oh well. I will try it out in a few. Hope it works.

·
Registered
105 Posts
1: As explained, push with door open. This is for safety reasons. Or even better, connect driver profiles to the keys and seat adjusts when you unlock.

2: They are definitely linked. If not working you should visit your dealer.

3: Don’t know, seems to work fine here in Norway.

4: Never thought of it.

5: Noticed it in the beginning. Used to it now.

6: Works every time in my car (with the standard bumper).

7: You get a warning in the “Volvo on call” app. I do at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Storing the position*
That is making it sound like you don't even have to push a button, you just have to unlock it with a key and it automatically moves the seat. We usually use the hand near the door handle feature to unlock the doors. I learn something new about this car every day.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
1: As explained, push with door open. This is for safety reasons. Or even better, connect driver profiles to the keys and seat adjusts when you unlock.
I hope this is correct. I will try it out and see if it works with the door open. Not sure why that would need to be the case though. I guess they figure if the person before you was really short you may not be able to get into the car? Even so why wouldn't it work the same with the door shut? Oh well. I will try it out in a few. Hope it works.
I thought the door being open was more of a proxy for the occupant not in the vehicle yet. As you enter your vehicle, a single press of the memory button when the door is open and you're still outside will complete the memory reset. Depending on how different the various memory positions are, I ran into a case where the transition process brought the seat to a very close distance to the steering wheel. I imagine if one were seated and the door was closed, someone might complain of getting "crushed" onto the steering wheel as the seat maneuvers itself. But if the door is open, either the person is outside or at least they can "escape" to avoid being crushed.

In that sense, it seems like a reasonable safety precaution.

Regarding the Sensus map, I've had 1 instance where it provided better advice than google maps (this was somewhere in Utah, USA), where google maps insisted on a non existent road to go through. But it does sometimes come up with odd logic of detouring from a freeway to re-enter soon after, even though it doesn't seem to register any road blockage. I suppose no map database + routing logic is perfect.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
+1. Safety for sure. Just think if a shorter person is driving along and accidentally pushes a memory seat button and the seats moves to the far rear position. Their feet cannot reach the pedals.

It reminds of a time when a pilot has taken off and tries to adjust on climb out. Extremely dangerous situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1. Safety for sure. Just think if a shorter person is driving along and accidentally pushes a memory seat button and the seats moves to the far rear position. Their feet cannot reach the peddles.

It reminds of a time when a pilot has taken off and tries to adjust on climb out. Extremely dangerous situation.

I guess I can see where in that particular instance it could be a problem, but wouldn't they just make it to where you have to hold down the button when you are driving and not based on whether the door is open or not. I guess it makes more sense to me based on if we had a midget driving and a full size adult driving in the same family. Then maybe it could be difficult getting in and out. My wife is about a 8 inches shorter than me and while it is cramped, I usually just get in before I set all the controls to my comfort. Its not that big a deal though now that I realize I can just push the button once as long as the door is open.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My wife is 17" shorter than me, so the ability of the car to pre-set the seat positions is absolutely critical :) Just walk up to the car with your key in your pocket and everything should be set correctly.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The fact that you can't move the second row a big further back bothered me as well. Truth is, I was very disappointed by the (lack of) room in the second row - and puzzled by how many reviews praised the second-row legroom. I found it to be lacking and the kids were complaining all the time (well, I guess that's what happens when your kids are over 6 feet...).

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
... have about 6600 miles on it so far and ... absolutely love it.
+1, have pretty much same everything.

1. The seat memory function works a little odd IMO ... you literally have to hold the button in until the seat finishes its cycle.
I have two seat memory positions, "action mode" (more upright, closer to wheel) or "relaxed mode" (laid back, chillaxin after a long day, low rider). If I need something in between these two extremes while driving I just hold down the appropriate seat memory button till I find what fits the bill. No need to fuss with multiple individual seat controls, just have to deal with one button. This system works out for me.

3. The navigation system is so bad its hard to describe. We have given up using it altogether ...
Sadly, +1. I don't even bother with Android Auto any more because I don't see any benefit when I have a large screen phone mounted ergonomically better nearby (vent between steering wheel and Sensus screen) and bluetooth takes care of my music control needs. The Android Auto screen with Google Maps is less than half of the full Sensus display (such a complete waste/shame!) coupled with horrible horrible horrible controls and inputs. I sincerely hope Volvo retroactively updates Sensus to the full (screen) Google experience when Android Auto is updated or else I will go implement ROIK with its full screen experience on my vehicle . . .

5. I can only use the lane assist when on the highway/Interstate. Its really annoying on normal roads ... I really love the pilot assist on the interstate and the adaptive cruise control etc.
+1, except for not following curves.
A friend let me drive his Tesla Model 3 which features cameras and radar like Volvo currently but definitely no LieDAR (misspelling intended!) like every automaker is intending except Tesla. One can definitely let the Tesla drive on normal roads (and even no-lined tight country roads) without any doubt - its pilot assist is respectably far, far ahead of Volvo's and likely everyone else's. Though skeptical before driving, I am a believer now in the ability and potential of Tesla's pilot assist. Note I didn't say it was foolproof :) I think the industry has some catching up to do to have the same level of "autonomy" as Tesla's.

6. I can't get the foot motion detector that opens up the rear hatch to ever work properly. Mine is placed to the side because we had a different bumper package installed that is all metal and has a factory tow package installed.
+1, have same rear setup and can't get consistent activation so I don't use it. Maybe I need to clean off layers of dirt? If anyone can consistently open their trunk with the driver side sensor setup, I'm all ears!

7. I noticed one time when the mat wasn't aligned properly in the back it prevented the hatch from closing all the way. I didn't even know it didn't close until I came back outside later and saw my hatch open.
I get a beeping alarm when the trunk tries to automatically close but fails. Don't you get the same?

Otherwise, yeah, I'm very much enjoying the XC90T8!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
... +1, have same rear setup and can't get consistent activation so I don't use it. Maybe I need to clean off layers of dirt? If anyone can consistently open their trunk with the driver side sensor setup, I'm all ears!
My tailgate opener works like a charm now that I re-read the instructions and applied them. I am 100% now over the last several months.

My tailgate sensor is in the standard factory location. I stand behind the first “o” in the Volvo name on the tailgate about one behind the bumper. I then move my foot straight forward and straight back - methodically. I step back one or two feet and “open sesame” after about a second giving you time to get out the way.

No wiggle or left-to-right with the foot. Straight forward and straight back.

I have had it start to close as I was adjusting stuff in the cargo area. Best bet is to take your key out of your vicinity if you’re moving things around.

Not sure about the relocated sensor but method should be similar.

Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone have any advice with regard to 4 corner air suspension vs standard suspension, and also Harmon Kardon vs Bowers & Wilkins in the T8?

·
Registered
83 Posts
6. I can't get the foot motion detector that opens up the rear hatch to ever work properly. Mine is placed to the side because we had a different bumper package installed that is all metal and has a factory tow package installed. Sometimes the hatch release will actually even activate when I'm walking close to the vehicle in the back, and other times I can't get it to active at all no matter where I put my foot. On the plus side, I rarely need to use that feature anyway.
Mine is placed in the "regular" place, but when done correctly it opens pretty much always. But it's funny watching car reviews when journalists move their foot right-left and complain sensor is not sensitive.
Yours should be opened with the same kicking motion just from the side:

From the manual:
"With the remote key within range, move your foot slowly forward in a kicking motion below the left section of the rear bumper without touching the bumper and take a step back.
NOTE: Foot operation may not be possible or function normally if the sensor is obstructed by snow, ice, dirt, etc."

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Does anyone have any advice with regard to 4 corner air suspension vs standard suspension, and also Harmon Kardon vs Bowers & Wilkins in the T8?
I think 4 corner air is a must on a T8. The extra weight really does affect the ride quality otherwise. But where you live does affect things. I would absolutely not go without it if you live in snowy areas with poor road surface.

B&W - this gets very subjective. I had two SPA XC90s, the first with it, the second without. I didn't think it was worth it. Had tons of problems with it (buzzing and rattling, which, judging from the forums, is a common issue). I didn't like the sound (too much post-processing), but here it gets VERY subjective. Frankly, I found it loud - and, if that is what you are going for, it's a great system - but the clarity of it didn't impress me. On top of that, I found that the way Sensus handles files is very cumbersome, to the point that I just gave up on listening to uncompressed music from USB sticks and just went with streaming - and that defeats a lot of the benefits of the better system. Not worth it, in my opinion. Others will disagree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think 4 corner air is a must on a T8. The extra weight really does affect the ride quality otherwise. But where you live does affect things. I would absolutely not go without it if you live in snowy areas with poor road surface.

B&W - this gets very subjective. I had two SPA XC90s, the first with it, the second without. I didn't think it was worth it. Had tons of problems with it (buzzing and rattling, which, judging from the forums, is a common issue). I didn't like the sound (too much post-processing), but here it gets VERY subjective. Frankly, I found it loud - and, if that is what you are going for, it's a great system - but the clarity of it didn't impress me. On top of that, I found that the way Sensus handles files is very cumbersome, to the point that I just gave up on listening to uncompressed music from USB sticks and just went with streaming - and that defeats a lot of the benefits of the better system. Not worth it, in my opinion. Others will disagree.
I live in Chicagoland, so snowy and the roughest of the roughest, as far as street surfaces go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Chicagoland, so snowy and the roughest of the roughest, as far as street surfaces go.
Living in the Twin Cities myself we have found the 4C Air Ride to make a noticeable ride / comfort difference with how abused the roads get throughout the winter. A couple of times we actually raised the vehicle to get down a few un-plowed & rutted blocks after spring snowstorms, and an additional benefit is lowering the entry / exit height for passengers too.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The rear lift sensor consists of a couple of rows of sensors that are parallel to the rear of the car. If you try and feed you foot from left to right or right to left you may fail to activate the sensors. They are looking for a perpendicular path which is what is necessary to consistently open and close the rear door. It does make me feel conscious when in a parking lot surrounded by people and I am essentially kicking the car in the ass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts