SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2017 XC90 Inscription and have been happy with it. Also owned a V70 wagon a while back interrupted by minivans when kids were here. Today I began to look for a V60 Cross Country to replace the XC90.

Basically, I just wanted to test drive a V60 CC to see if it will meet my needs and if the smaller size will be more comfortable for my wife to drive. I realize they are in short supply and that I'll probably need to place an order to get the options I like and that it may take up to 6 months. I know it's the market currently. I get it.

I contacted my dealer and got the run around - asking me to consider other models, bla bla bla. Immediately soured me on them. I'm in northern NJ, so I tried another dealer - who we actually bought the V70 from years back. After a few email exchanges, they confirmed they had one I could drive. I set an appointment, showed up on time, and was told sorry but the car is not actually ready. Would you like to speak to a sales person about another car? I relayed this to Volvo USA who had asked if dealer #2 had gotten in touch with me and they apologized, but not much else.

Is this sort of treatment now the norm at Volvo dealerships? Should I just suck it up and drive my XC90 a bit longer in hopes the market changes a bit? Would be happy to hear thoughts on this.

JB

·
Registered
491 Posts
FWIW my dealer could never get and/or keep an XC90 Recharge in stock, much less the Extended Range I had on order for OSD so I ended up heading to Sweden having never test driven one. My first test drive was a 250 mile trip abroad when I picked up the vehicle at the Factory Delivery Center.

Even now when I drive by the dealership I see no new XC90s on the lot.

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Is this sort of treatment now the norm at Volvo dealerships? Should I just suck it up and drive my XC90 a bit longer in hopes the market changes a bit? Would be happy to hear thoughts on this.
No, it's not the norm. First dealer didn't have one for you to drive and the second dealer probably has the car listed on their website as a service loaner and your salesman didn't tell the service manager to not loan it out that day so you could test drive it. Many dealers are short on service loaners which probably explains why it wasn't around but they could have been better organized. You might give the second dealer another opportunity to show you the car, mistakes do happen, or just scour the internet for another one.

I just picked up a retired service loaner V60CC a month ago and love it - perfect combination of size, features, performance, etc. It's worth being patient for but that's just my opinion. New models have really dried up in my area and nationally since I got it.

Reactions: bonedoggie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a follow up. Had a much better experience at Prestige Volvo in East Hanover. They do not have the ability to order a V60 CC and only have 1 in stock, but at least they were excellent and did not play any dealer games. I'm not in a rush, so going to give it a little time and some more searching. Would be nice if Volvo would just accept an order with the understanding that you may need to wait a while.

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Strange that you could not order a car - I am guessing that we're between the '22 and '23 model years and the order book hasn't opened yet for the new cars. Either that or there are lingering supply chain issues so the slower selling wagons and sedans are having to wait until components are more available.

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Is this sort of treatment now the norm at Volvo dealerships?
The short answer is "it depends on the dealership." I've used a total of 5 or 6 different Volvo dealerships over the years for sales and service. My favorite one is about 240 miles away in Pennsylvania.

My local dealer is totally out to lunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts