SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm turning 16 soon and I really want a car. My dad said something big and safe but I want something quick and fun. I am looking at the V70 R from 98-00. Are they pretty cheap to maintain? How is insurance? Also, are there any mods that are a good bang for your buck? Can I get it in a manual? Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks

·
Administrator
55,892 Posts
Welcome to swedespeed!

Congrats on turning 16 and starting your car search. A V70R is going to be a lot of car for your first car but it is a safe vehicle. If you can find one that has been well maintained, your costs will be reduced significantly. If you read through the posts in this forum, you'll see that if you get a V70R that has not been maintained, you could spend $3k in maintenance if several things start to wear out. Good luck on your search, I'm certain a few members will have some comments/recommendations for you.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,432 Posts
No manual V70Rs during that era, unless somebody swapped trannys. I believe there is a cutoff between the automatics, whereas the early had 4 speeds and the later had 5 and thus more desireable, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Welcome aboard! The insurance is far cheaper than others car with similar features and performance. My insurance rates with my 99 R aren't much higher than when I was 16 and driving my 98 non-turbo V70. On Rs, a manual transmission was not available from the factory.

Like has been said, maintenance can get pricey if the car wasn't taken care of previously. If you are capable of doing many repairs yourself, or are willing to learn how to, you can save a great deal of money versus taking it to a shop for repairs.

While any R is a great car, there are a few key differences from year to year which are important to factor into your decision to buy one.

98's are the simplest mechanically and the cheapest/easiest to mod. They come with a 16T turbo from the factory, use the Bosch ME4.4 ECU, have a cable-actuated throttle and a very reliable 4 speed auto transmission. 98's have a single exit exhaust that exits the passenger side of the bumper.

99's got a slightly larger 18T turbo for a little bit more power and a whole new ECU setup (Bosch ME7) which uses an electronically operated throttle (referred to as the ETM.) The ETMs are a known problem and can cost $600 to replace, but most have been replaced already. These have the same 4 speed auto and exhaust setup as the 98s.

00's have many of the same features as the 99 (such as the ETM and the ME7 ECU) but make more power due to an even larger 19T turbo and a dual exit exhaust. They have larger brakes, and a new 5 speed automatic transmission. These transmissions are a known problem, they frequently fail. This can cost several thousand dollars to repair.

There are many other little differences, but those are the major mechanical differences that you need to be aware of.

Feel free to ask questions and if you spend a bit of time shopping for "the one" it'll be worth it!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You might consider looking for a nice 850.
Those can be had with sticks, cost less and
are a bit easier and cheaper to maintain.
Plenty of sweet ones out there!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Consider a V70 T5 instead, or an 850 as suggested above. If you're a competent mechanic and will have adequate money in reserve, then a high power AWD Volvo might be feasible. If not, and you're sure you want a Volvo, stick with a GLT or T5 FWD for some cheap(er) thrills.

...Especially if you're going to be bombing around in this car with your friends for a few years. Get something that isn't as rare or sought after, then move up to a nicer V70R in a few years once you've gotten used to the chassis and the repairs associated with it.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I agree
For your first Volvo stay with a 98 (or earlier) and FWD. (or a 99 if you have proof of a recent ETM replacement)
Otherwise, you're asking for higher maintenance and high part costs with an early AWD Volvo.

The most fun is a 1998 T5 5 speed, either in sedan or wagon, they're very rare and fun to drive and right now there are a few for sale around the country.

Listen to Andy, he came up the right way, from a non turbo wagon in high school, learned all about Volvos then graduated to a V70R.

Welcome and good luck

·
Registered
760 Posts
Another advocate of something like an 850 Turbo/T5 instead of V70R ... I have one and you have to be prepared to put a lot of $$ into maintaining it, she is a high maintenance girl.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i got my 98 S70 GLT about a year ago when i received my license(age of 16). I bought it just before that from a local who had volvo's his whole life. I love this car, Its fast and looks great. The Modding list goes on forever... I will have to stop modding during college next year because of money. But my s70 GLT is faster than a T5 from my mods and am tackling new projects all the time. Where are you from? if you want my to go in depth about my s70 just ask. I honestly think i will keep this car forever, even if i do own another, there is no reason to get rid of it. insurance isn't bad and initial cost isn't terrible. I am turning 18 over the summer and going away to college and i cant wait to take this thing with me. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another advocate of something like an 850 Turbo/T5 instead of V70R ... I have one and you have to be prepared to put a lot of $$ into maintaining it, she is a high maintenance girl.
How much money have you needed to put into your v70r? What year is it and what needed maintenance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to vote for an 850/S70 with a low pressure turbo. V70R is too much car for a new driver. You're probably going to do something stupid in it because we all have.
I understand that it's a quick car but I'm a responsible teenager and I'm not reckless. I'm learning on a 2005 Porsche Carrera S with a stick right now.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I understand that it's a quick car but I'm a responsible teenager and I'm not reckless. I'm learning on a 2005 Porsche Carrera S with a stick right now.
Nice! Like they say, it's not the car that determines you're gonna have a problem - only the nut that holds the wheel.
Since you're considering Volvo's, you must have a good head on your shoulders. ;)

My daughters had a 240 DL, a couple 940 Turbo's, and an 850 Turbo as their first cars. They loved them all, even the DL. The 940's were surprisingly fast for their size.
The 850 was a '96, the 221-hp. version, and it went like stink. That was a great car. That would be a good choice, but probably not many good ones left around.
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Listen, I get that you're responsible and not reckless. I'm just saying that you're 16. You won't be responsible 100% of the time lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Listen, I get that you're responsible and not reckless. I'm just saying that you're 16. You won't be responsible 100% of the time lol
i was the definition of an irresponsible teenager and ive been paying for it for years. dumb high school kid with 5.0 nitrous mustang = bad news

anyway, please stay away from from a V70r. This comes from a 25 year old whos had 14 cars ranging from a heavily modified 12v cummins ram, to a dodge spirit r/t (nobody probably knows what that is). Ive been turning wrenches since I was 16 and was a GM/Chrysler tech for a few years. The swedes make decent cars, but the AWD issues with the volvos is just dumb and adds a few more issues to an already quirky car. There is nothing like a turbo AWD european sedan, trust me I own 2 right now. But for a first car start with front wheel drive. Get a fwd volvo or saab.They both make decent, comfortable, quick cars (turbo) that are know for lasting a while.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I think a 98 V70 base-model with a 5 spd is a very nice car. The stick shift helps make it a bit quicker. Maintenance is still relatively easy on these. It's a great first car if you can find one that's been maintained.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I have a couple of things to contribute. First, a little background-

I've been a car nut since as long as I can remember; as a child, I slept with my corgi and dinky cars parallel parked around my pillow. At 16, I ended up with a Ford Tempo :facepalm: which I drove responsibly....except just once. And it cost me. Hold that thought...

As an adult, I fell for Subarus. Before kids came along, I campaigned a 2.5GT in Autocross and an Outback in Rallycross. I only just came to Volvo a year ago, when said Outback needed an expensive repair (155k on the odo) but was also rusting. Couldn't justify it. I came to know the local Volvo legend, who had a 1998 V70 R for sale. He is a meticulous owner and genuine volvo nut. At the time of purchase in December 2010, the car was a healthy stage 0 and needed nothing.

Even so, in the following months it came to need a half shaft, tie rods, a control arm, an alignment, and is going to need tires soon. So it is soaking up some care and feeding dollars despite being an overall clean, loved and cared-for car. I couldn't care less, I love it, but I might are more if I was on a budget. Actually, I AM on a budget LoL

Anyways, my suggestion is to find something safe and reliable that is also tossable and has good handling. Don't worry about power right now. Spend the money on track time instead, through your local BMW CCA or regional high performance driving school. Use the mod money on yourself; one ride with an instructor and you will poop yourself when you see what impact training has- my first ride along was with an ELF school grad in a rented Infiniti and I thought I was going to die.

My Subarus were all before the arrival of the WRX and were not very powerful, but I had them well set up (lots of STi suspension bits bolted right up :D ) and I had a ball with them.

Track days are fun as hell, you'll learn a lot, and you'll be a lot less likely to try something on the road, end up swapping ends and ripping the suspension of an '86 Ford Tempo ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts