SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was back when I was 16 that I learnt to drive on my dad's first European car, a red '98 V70 T5. I fell in love. That smooth ride, strong turbo, that wall of torque. We had two labs and towed our boat around the Eastern Townships, upstate New York, New Hampshire, Maine... It was such a key part of my youth.

So I bought one just like it. And I'm loving it. I drive about 200kms a day and even with 310000 on the clock she's pulling hard and cruising along with no trouble.

The apple, as they say... doesn't fall fat from the tree. It's good to be back, brothers. Feels like home.

Pretty sure i need to change my clutch pads and wheel bearing though.

Any tips on reasonably priced volvo mechs in the Montreal area? I still have a turbo and exhaust header with all the piping and bov lying in a box in the garage... does it make sense to install these on an SE?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Congratulations on your car and welcome to the board! The car looks like it's in nice shape. I have a 2000 S70 GLT SE in the same color, which I've had since new. I was also infected by my parents and learned to drive on a Volvo wagon as well.

Unfortunately you won't be able to bolt on the turbo to your non-turbo SE. There are other parts specific to the turbo including the ECU software.

-Ted

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on your car and welcome to the board! The car looks like it's in nice shape. I have a 2000 S70 GLT SE in the same color, which I've had since new. I was also infected by my parents and learned to drive on a Volvo wagon as well.

Unfortunately you won't be able to bolt on the turbo to your non-turbo SE. There are other parts specific to the turbo including the ECU software.

-Ted
Ben told the local junkyard sells ecus for 50$-100$ lol.... which will work bolt in?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You can't swap ECUs in a 2000 - only on 98s and older 850s.

With enough money it's possible to turbo a non-turbo V70 but it would be much more worthwhile to just buy a car already equipped with one and that has a motor with a compression ratio more suited to having the turbo.

Enjoy the car! If it's a stickshift even better!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't swap ECUs in a 2000 - only on 98s and older 850s.

With enough money it's possible to turbo a non-turbo V70 but it would be much more worthwhile to just buy a car already equipped with one and that has a motor with a compression ratio more suited to having the turbo.

Enjoy the car! If it's a stickshift even better!
Oh I'm loving it. Find myself sneaking up into the 160s and 170s without really noticing haha.... The brick is quite the smooth operator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts