SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was driving to work today with some relatively big rains and about 2 minutes after I got on the freeway a loud high pitch noise started coming from what I think was the bottom right. It was pretty loud so I couldn't pin point the location. After about 20 seconds it faded away but then faded back in after another few minutes.

After it faded out the 2nd time it never came back but I could hear a very faint noise while I was getting off the freeway.

I'm not sure how to explain the noise, it sounded almost like when metal vibrates at a certain frequency and ends up making a noise or maybe a table or circular saw after winding down.

Could it just be my wheels/brakes? Weird that today is the only time it's ever happened and it was raining.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Rain squeal. It's common. I presume you have not removed the EBD(Exhaust bracket of death)

It's a faulty design by volvo. The bracket is very malleable and any bump to it from a speedbump or other things will bend the bracket upwards, causing the resonator to hit the driveshaft with some force. This can cause the driveshaft to get damaged and that's a very costly repair. It also can cause rainsqueal as you described.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Rain squeal. Remove the resonator or get the bracket from the dealer. Many posts on this. Use google search.

Edit: You beat me to it!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Rain Squeel - its your center resonator rubbing on the driveshaft. When exhaust heats up and water cools it down, the exhaust(resonator) flexes and rubs on the drive shaft. Remove the center resonator and weld in a straight pipe. We also refer to it as JRL Mod.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Are dealers returning used R's to stock by reinstalling resonator and EBD? How is it possible that any R's still have this issue? Are there regular owners that are tolerating this for years before selling theirs? I don't need an answer, just find this amazing.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I know a guy with 03 s60 2.5 AWD and it still has EBD. I told him about it yet he does not care. I bed most S60 AWD you find on the road today still have that bracket.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I know a guy with 03 s60 2.5 AWD and it still has EBD. I told him about it yet he does not care. I bed most S60 AWD you find on the road today still have that bracket.
Their suspension is higher and that additional inch makes all the difference... In any case, the EBD does nothing.. In fact, it doesn't even touch the exhaust so I completely believe that it was a factory exhaust holdup method and they just didn't bother to remove it.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Are dealers returning used R's to stock by reinstalling resonator and EBD? How is it possible that any R's still have this issue? Are there regular owners that are tolerating this for years before selling theirs? I don't need an answer, just find this amazing.
No, most dealers remove them as they see it as I've been told.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts