SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys find a safe place to get tires mounted to rims, a place that will take special care not to damage or scratch the rims and will do a good balancing?

I have this flat tires to replace and with my imported wheels I'm concerned they might get damaged during tire mount!
The last time I went to a locale garage. Despite the fact that the guys did a good work, they listened half of what I asked them to do. I have not gone there for other things than minor work so far and I feel I'm an annoyance to them... They aren't very responsive or organized either.

Now I need a place and I don't know where to go, or how to feel good and confident in picking a new place :(

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Well, I go to a local VW dealer/shop (I used them when I had my Audi) and I was fortunate enough to get to know the service writers well. When it came time for wheel/tire work, I simply asked "Who is your BEST tire installer for the job since I have $$ wheels that I won't accept any damage on." They recommended a great young guy, an obvious motorhead, and he has always been my go-to tire guy. I also make sure to tip him every time he works on my wheels/tires since he does a great job.

Best advice I can give - just ask. Tell them what you have, tell them that they can't afford to f-up your rims, and tell them you want their best man. Oh, and ask if they have a touchless tire mounting machine. That always helps, though my shop doesn't have one yet :(

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good luck with that. Every time I have someone take my wheels off, I find a new knick or scratch on them somewhere, despite me telling them to be careful. It seems that nobody gives a sh1t anymore.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Good luck with that. Every time I have someone take my wheels off, I find a new knick or scratch on them somewhere, despite me telling them to be careful. It seems that nobody gives a sh1t anymore.
This is why I ALWAYS take my wheels off myself at home and bring them to the shop. One less chance for scratches. I just toss my winter setup on. Is it a major pain? Yes, but it has kept my wheels looking top notch!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is why I ALWAYS take my wheels off myself at home and bring them to the shop. One less chance for scratches. I just toss my winter setup on. Is it a major pain? Yes, but it has kept my wheels looking top notch!
Thankfully I'm running on my all seasons at the moment and my summer wheels are off.
I couldn't agree more that it is when removing the wheels that a lot of the damage happens.
Still I have no idea where I'm going to get it fix... and unfortunately the paint on my wheels isn't that robust. I've got some chips from regular driving.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
You should always call and ask what kind of equipment they use to mount a tire and to balance a tire. I only visit shops which use either Hunter or Corghi machines.

When I had 235/35-19 tires mounted on my $4000 19" VST wheels, they had the shop foreman do the tire mounting using a Hunter machine. Not a single nick or anything, anywhere. In fact, the machine never even touched the rim of the wheel, since the machine is meant for a truely toucheless tire mounting. I visited Sullivan tire in Nashua, NH. Certain Town Faire Tires use Hunter machines. My Volvo dealer uses Hunter machines too.

I've seen both these machines used at the SEMA show mounting tires on 26" wheels without ever touching the rim.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Georges! this is good info!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool though they do put some clamps on the rims! so not really touch-free but yes touch-less...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clamps are plastic so they can't damage the metal rim.
Not the metal but the paint! but I understand contact can't be avoided at some point! ;)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts