SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
05 S60R M66
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a gut feeling that my transmission is going out soon. Been looking for a replacement M66 but they seem exceedingly rare. Any idea on where to find one? My next step is looking to import one from Europe since they drive stick there almost exclusively but shipping fees seem scary...

·
Registered
2004 V70R
51 Posts

I think there is a rebuild kit/a list of replaceable parts in that post. I think you can source everything except the synchros for 1 and 2... Which would be the most likely to be worn out.

Personally I would try to ask around at some local tranny shops on what they could do for you in terms of repairing/rebuilding it. Hate to see these units die out since like you said they're so rare

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Throw it away, buy another used unit from a wrecked car with less miles.
You can replace it with M66s from other AWD P2s. M66W IIRC. 2-3 is less impresseive but the final drive is stepped up to 4.0 (vs 3.7)

There will never be a collective effort to get parts made.
Most of these cars are parted out because they have such low value, and are not worth rebuilding.

Getrag is a bunch of pricks and have never realized rebuilds for any of its transmissions, as far as I know, be that a V161 from a MKIV Supra, 6 Speed R34 GTR Transmissions, or M66s.

So you know, a V161 will sell north of 40 THOUSAND dollars. Still no parts. And so everyone is switching to a Nascar T56 Transmission.

Maybe we should switch to K series Honda transmissions as those guys are the only crowd with enough collective effort to demand transmission rebuild parts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
HOLY HELL! $40k for a tranny!? You could almost cut your own gears for that.

In the Volvo world you could certainly go with the Quaife option. Super expensive for Volvo people but they have an M66 unit. New. BYOB (Bring your own Bellhousing).

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a gut feeling that my transmission is going out soon. Been looking for a replacement M66 but they seem exceedingly rare. Any idea on where to find one? My next step is looking to import one from Europe since they drive stick there almost exclusively but shipping fees seem scary...
Just saw one on Ebay for about $2400 including shipping:
GKB: M66
Part No .: 36010332
Gearbox: mechanical
Gears: 6
Year of construction: 2018
Mileage: 28,968 km
Donor vehicle: Volvo V60 I 2.0 T4
item number 324742669609

·
Registered
28 Posts
BMW 420G Getrag Transmissions also don't have rebuild kits. (E39-M5)

I have piles of these stupid things because I cant throw them away.
A Shed full of manual transmissions. Stacked 4 Feet high.. must be 2 dozen at least from various cars.

The 2-3 is completely used up,

There will come a time when they will all be thrown away, and remaining examples on their way out.

Asking Quaife might get you somewhere.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's why I switched to the MQ500, it costs a penny, you can buy any part without any problems. The cost of replacing and buying an M66 is approximately equal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I now sell a subframe with an engine, Mq500, axle shafts, clutch, intake and exhaust manifold, turbo 3582 on a ball, injectors, Wems, etc. The transmission holds hard loads and you can move on. Therefore, next year it is planned to configure a 1000+ hp config on regular gasoline from the pump, we do not have E85.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts