SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ended up getting a 2017 S-60 FWD Dynamic w/Blis, back up camera a few other features.

Nice car, white w/dark grey leather w/contrast piping. 40k w/CPO. Dealer wanted $3200 for extended CPO after 11/2022 but I'll shop around.

New tires, rear rotors and shoes, somewhat well detailed but I spent some time with it!

It was roughly $2-3,500 less than comparable cars I've looked at. Much less than local unfortunately but it was a fun 4 hour drive to pick up.

Really did not want to spend as much as we did but the diff between a 14/15 and this was negligible.

So....onwards....got some time to research snows/wheels. She's not at all interested in performance upgrades.

We drove it for about 2 hours Saturday and an hour Sunday. She likes it, it really looks like a cocoon in there the way the seats envelope her.

A friend had an FWD and he said it was great in the Syracuse, NY snow w/proper tires.

I said to her I apologize for the length of time it took but she said..."Dad...I know you got me the best...at the best price..."

Kid after my own heart!!!

·
Registered
2017 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R Design Platinum
472 Posts
Great, looks good! Congrats! I found the Dynamic pretty spunky when I test drove one last year.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Congrats. Real nice car with the right features. Looks sharp with black window trim rather than chrome.
Best of luck with it and hopefully she'll get years of trouble-free service out of it.
Snow tires should be just fine in winter. AWD is not necessary.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Looks sharp with black window trim rather than chrome.
That and the bonus that Volvo tossed the R-Design front bumper on the 2017/18 Dynamics. (y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drove it back for 3.5 hours from NJ at some fairly aggressive speeds. My friend was ahead of me doing 85 w/a traffic app. Car felt odd at first vs the S-90 but it was rock solid all the way home. No issue at speed Wonder if the HP is the same in that engine as my S-90 T-5?

Wasn't a big fan of the looks at first but sitting next to mine in the driveway I'm beginning to like it more and more. The S-90 is kind of staid next to it.

So outside of Steingold or my local dealer are there any other options for extending the warranty?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Love the wheels on those cars - congrats!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wayne...and thanks for all your input during this madness! Buying a car for your child is a lot different than for yourself!

Thanks to everyone!! Lots of great advice here....

Reactions: Wayne T5

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wonder if the HP is the same in that engine as my S-90 T-5?
It's a version of the same engine, although HP in the S60 is slightly reduced relative to your S90. The S60/V60 of that vintage were rated at 240hp compared to 250hp in your car. However, the S60 is also a much smaller (17" shorter length) and lighter (~300 lbs) car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ended up getting a 2017 S-60 FWD Dynamic w/Blis, back up camera a few other features.

Nice car, white w/dark grey leather w/contrast piping. 40k w/CPO. Dealer wanted $3200 for extended CPO after 11/2022 but I'll shop around.

New tires, rear rotors and shoes, somewhat well detailed but I spent some time with it!

It was roughly $2-3,500 less than comparable cars I've looked at. Much less than local unfortunately but it was a fun 4 hour drive to pick up.

Really did not want to spend as much as we did but the diff between a 14/15 and this was negligible.

So....onwards....got some time to research snows/wheels. She's not at all interested in performance upgrades.

We drove it for about 2 hours Saturday and an hour Sunday. She likes it, it really looks like a cocoon in there the way the seats envelope her.

A friend had an FWD and he said it was great in the Syracuse, NY snow w/proper tires.

I said to her I apologize for the length of time it took but she said..."Dad...I know you got me the best...at the best price..."

View attachment 125532
View attachment 125534
That's a beauty, rdad!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts

1. Nice car. Congrats.

2. Does the 2017 have the 3g Modem or 4g? If 3g do be aware that next year 3g AT&T is being turned off. To utilize Volvo on Call and SOS features will require a modem swap at owner cost.

3. CPO will give you and your daughter a good 1.5 yrs / unlimited miles of assurance!

I'm not going to lie. There's no replacement for AWD. An AWD car is much heavier and more balanced. I own a 2015.5 S60 FWD and do regret not doing my homework a bit more to go AWD. Always owned FWD. So never crossed my mind at purchase. Being given an AWD loaner one day, I definitely noticed a difference.

That being said, I use Nokian Hakka R3s in the winter. Making the car "Good" but not "Great" in inclement conditions. I've had instances where I'm sliding on the road and I see SUV's going about their business unphased. Volvos Haldex system apparently runs in FWD and only kicks in AWD if vehicle senses a loss of traction.

Your car will do fine on a normal winter day, but if the roads get very slushy or icy, that's when an AWD comes in handy. Nothing makes up for 4 wheels trying to grip vs two.

You'll 100% need a good snow tire on this vehicle to get the optimal winter driving experience.

Warranty:

Absolutely DO NOT buy 3rd party warranties without doing your homework. Many of these are not a good value, as the companies attempt to will weasel out of most claims.

The Volvo backed by Fidelity warranties are straight forward and the platinum plans are exclusionary. Only the things excluded are not covered. Whereas the gold are inclusionary (state what is covered and all else not covered).

While this might be an expensive proposition, I suggest you 100% contact Mike at Steingold. The best value warranty is the 10yr / unlimited mile CPO extension. It will add another 5 yrs / unlimited miles to the car. So in those 1.5 yrs of the remaining CPO + 5 Years of the extended CPO, your daughter could pack on a good 100K or more miles depending upon driving habits.

On the other hand, if the car is in good working order, and all your daughter does is drive from school back home, then such a policy may not have much merit. All depends on her age, how much she drives, etc.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Just answer the next 5 random calls you get. I'm sure you'll have several options for buying a car warranty. 😄
Hello,

I am from some 3rd world country selling you a top or the line car vehicle warranty. I got your name from the local scammer. We promise this policy will cover everything....

Ah those calls are always fun to screw with...

Reactions: catfish93

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello,

I am from some 3rd world country selling you a top or the line car vehicle warranty. I got your name from the local scammer. We promise this policy will cover everything....

Ah those calls are always fun to screw with...
How I handled an actual warranty scam call I got the other day:

"Can you please tell me the year, make, model of your vehicle?"
Yeah, a 1972 Maserati Bora.
"This vehicle does not qualify sir, do you have any other vehicles?"
Oh of course! I have a veritable collection of classic and exotic vehicles. Try a 2016 Lamborghini Aventador.
"Unfortunately that vehicle doesn't qualify either. Do you have another vehicle?"
Oh, yes! A Bentley Arnage T, 2004.
[Getting annoyed] "That doesn't qualify either sir."
Oh, that's a shame... that thing costs a TON to keep going. My daily driver is a 2019 McLaren 720S...
[realizing I'm pulling their leg] "What is this, some kind of joke to you? You're wasting my time!"
Oh really? Because since you're calling me and trying to take my money for something that doesn't exist, I'd argue that you are wasting my time!
shouting in a foreign language, I believe Hindi; then regains composure "Thee warrantee DOES exist, sir. Now will you be willing to be serious about it? I am trying to save you from out of pocket repairs. So what is the year, make, and model of your vehicle?"
Oh, I don't own a vehicle and I'm homeless.
[long pause] "We will take you off the list sir. Good day." [click]

Spoiler alert: I haven't been taken off the list.
Double spoiler: You pay quarterly, it breaks down to almost $2,000/year. Never. EVER. buy these. If it is not a Volvo warranty, IS IT NOT A WARRANTY.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
How I handled an actual warranty scam call I got the other day:

"Can you please tell me the year, make, model of your vehicle?"
Yeah, a 1972 Maserati Bora.
"This vehicle does not qualify sir, do you have any other vehicles?"
Oh of course! I have a veritable collection of classic and exotic vehicles. Try a 2016 Lamborghini Aventador.
"Unfortunately that vehicle doesn't qualify either. Do you have another vehicle?"
Oh, yes! A Bentley Arnage T, 2004.
[Getting annoyed] "That doesn't qualify either sir."
Oh, that's a shame... that thing costs a TON to keep going. My daily driver is a 2019 McLaren 720S...
[realizing I'm pulling their leg] "What is this, some kind of joke to you? You're wasting my time!"
Oh really? Because since you're calling me and trying to take my money for something that doesn't exist, I'd argue that you are wasting my time!
shouting in a foreign language, I believe Hindi; then regains composure "Thee warrantee DOES exist, sir. Now will you be willing to be serious about it? I am trying to save you from out of pocket repairs. So what is the year, make, and model of your vehicle?"
Oh, I don't own a vehicle and I'm homeless.
[long pause] "We will take you off the list sir. Good day." [click]

Spoiler alert: I haven't been taken off the list.
Double spoiler: You pay quarterly, it breaks down to almost $2,000/year. Never. EVER. buy these. If it is not a Volvo warranty, IS IT NOT A WARRANTY.
FYI: Volvo "warranties" are actually service plans.

I like to tell them my name is very hard to spell. B-H-E-N (Bhen) C-H-O-D (chod). bhenchod. Funny enough they all don't seem to realize it as they're stuck on their script. Suffice to say it's very insulting. - Not sure Literal Translation but apparently it means "one who enjoys sex with their own sister" or Sister f*cuker.

The last call I had, the woman didn't miss a beat about her Medicare Scam. She said how old are you and what is your name. I replied Bhen Chod and I said 50 (not true). She says you do not qualify for Medicare. I said yes I do, I am special. She said get out your card and information for me please. I said sure. I believe my card says Tu Chutiya hai. I believe you are Hindi / Indian so you understand. But sir this is not a scam. And I said but mam you are a Tu Chutiya Hai (insult basically calling the person a "bitch"). Do you think I'm stupid? Of course this is a scam.

Did her darndest to try and convince me....Hung up finally. Had my fun.

I've wound up being cussed out in Hindi a bunch of times... No clue what they say. I only know those few words LOL

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Wow, you guys really answer your cell phones to numbers you don't know?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
When I'm in the mood.....I know right off the bat before answering 99% of the time it's one of these Indian Scam calls.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Actually, if you have a Google Pixel phone, there's a Screen Call function when the phone rings. If you press that button the caller will hear a message saying the call is screened and are asked to state their name and why they are calling. Most of the time the call ends. Sometimes you get a recording and in the few legit times you get the caller to actually state their name and why they are calling and you can decide whether to pick up or not.
I use this function every time and never have to worry about the spam. Works every time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts