SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the old 106K+ mile rotors are toast, I got around to a few upgrades last night. :cool:

Right side dust boots are toast so I'm gonna need to track down a set and replace them later before any crap can get in there.

New Brembo Goodness:

Old Badness:

The Transformation:

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
those do look great

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is it bad that those pics of the new rotors gave me wood?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Now that you have gold calipers and drilled and slotted rotors it's time to lower it... Your becoming less stealthy so now it's all or nothing...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
New Brembo Goodness:

]
Nice stelty!! let me know how them rotors hold up on factory pads how is the stoping. does the brake pettle get all stiff and nasty like it does with full after market pads and rotors.?
And to ever one else HAY I TAUGHT FRONT PADS WERE NOT MADE BY BREMBO!!!!!!!
I wish a MFer would!!!!!!!!!
If i cauld rember ever one of your names id call you out but oo well i cant remember
I will start remembering soon enouff ladys

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Is that just dust buildup on the caliper boots? The top one's looking a little ragged.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Those are the cracked boots on the extra hot side. The right brake seems to have gotten hotter than the left due to all the hard braking into the turns on a counter clockwise track.

Pistons still move nicely so I know the pistons and seals are ok, just need to replace the dust boots when I have a chance so no crud gets in there to mess anything up.

Pedal is a lot stiffer, but I think that has to do with the pistons being shoved all the way back into the caliper. Great feel with the factory (Jurid) pads on the new rotors. Trying to decide if I will do my next track event with factory pads or if I will pop in a set of racing pads when I have some extra hot braking planned.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Old Badness:
You've got to give the OEM brakes an A for Effort. They did their duty very well for many a mile.
But now you've moved onto the niceness. Excellent!

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Stealthy, how thin were your old rotors?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Can't see any pics @ work, but I assume you have SS brake lines? If not, this is a must-do.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stealthy, how thin were your old rotors?
I can't remember the exact # but they were right at spec before the event. I'm pretty sure they are under spec now.

Still have the stock lines and they look just fine, so no upgrades there until they are needed.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Can't see any pics @ work, but I assume you have SS brake lines? If not, this is a must-do.
No it's not.
My brakes are perfect at track days with Ferodo DS2500 pads, TiSpeed shims, Motul 600, backing plates removed, and everything else stock.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did remove the backing plates and will most likely pick me up a set of higher performance pads for track days now.

Will also be using some of my Stealthy sheet metal fabrication magic to create a nice set of air scoops for under the a-arms to redirect some of the under car air to the rotors as well.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Which rotors are those? Powerslot?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
And to ever one else HAY I TAUGHT FRONT PADS WERE NOT MADE BY BREMBO!!!!!!!
I wish a MFer would!!!!!!!!!
If i cauld rember ever one of your names id call you out but oo well i cant remember
I will start remembering soon enouff ladys

I guess I will have to consider myself called out, because I will again go on record stating that "Brembo" pads, are not made by Brembo for our Volvos. They are made by Jurid, who has been an OEM supplier to Volvo for as many years as I can remember.

It is no different than our "Volvo" marked plugs that are made by Bosch.

Unless it has changed within the last few years Brembo does not make any brake pads. They of course make brake systems, they were an OEM supplier on my '97 Dodge Dakota for example, just not pads.

Bottom line it does not make any difference who makes them, I remain a fan of the OEM Brembo/Jurid pads.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/justsam/Volvo/IMG_0775.jpg?t=1278375208

1 - 20 of 144 Posts