SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking for three months while obsessing about my purchase I finally decided on a new S60 AWD and joined swedespeed. Thanks so much for all the insights. I narrowed my choice down to the Saab, A4, and S60 and, with the information posted here, made my decision. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi. Thanks for your 3M headlight guard/cover thread up in the S60 forum. I'm following it with baited breath -- am worried about cracks, myself, and am now considering getting those headlight covers, too.

I have a new commute now that takes me on the highways here in Michigan, where we/they allow TWICE the GVWR that every other state in the nation allows. There are more dual gravel trucks (with the rear one unloaded at times, swingin' n' swaying about skipping around in the lane) here than I've ever seen in my life. I've only been commuting this way for a week now, and I've already had three "things" hurled up at me (two at the windshield, one somewhere else down a little lower). EEEEEEK. I'm trying not to be freakish about my new car, but it's hard not to drive along worrying about dodging those 'bullets'!

I'm pretty sure that one of these days I'm going to get something really nasty hurled up at me, and hopefully it's not till AFTER I hunt down some of these "covers/guards" you guys are talking about and get them installed! Thanks, again, for the valuable info. I (and my wallet) thank you...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey, kronacar, I forgot to mention that I think your choice of words is funny. I, too, admitted to having "lurked" and "obsessed"! It's funny, because *some* folks (friends & family, but definitely not other swedespeed members) think it's bizarre (and downright wrong?!) to obsess about a new car purchase as much as I did, but my arguement was that it's usually the 2nd largest purchase many of us have ever had to make (2nd to a house/condo/etc., you know).

Just wanted to point out that you are/were definitely not alone... There are several other "enthusiastic" (and WISE, IMHO) folks out there. Happy motoring, and again, thanks for the headlight protector thread.

P.S. Alternate route? Yeah, well...I'm working on my tactics/strategies. It's almost like chess -- anticipating his move, and her move, and that semi-driver's move, "futuring" each of our speeds, calculating in my head whether or not I can get by them quickly or if I should just lurk back (clear of the kicked-up rocks, etc.). It's all about timing. I'm getting better at it... It's starting to suck up less of my mental faculties now, this new "method" of totally defensive driving (in defense of hazards, rather than other drivers)!

On my old commute my focus was 100% on driving matters. (I don't change CDs... ever... unless I'm at a stop light, and only if I'm not the 1st car.) *Now* my brain is about 97% on driving matters and 3% on "avoidance" of the gravel trucks and semis. Ha ha. I'm exaggerating about all this, of course. But only a little bit...seriously, you really do have to mind your p's and q's when there are all those semis and gravel trucks flying along at 80 mph!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lisa, although it did not seem to be a dysfunctional obsession to me, it did to others. I lurked on the Saab BB, I lurked on the Audi BB, I lurked here. I visited dealers when no sales folks were around. When I said, "let's swing by the Volvo dealer" the person I was with would look at me like I was from another planet (with that "again?!?" look...). It seemed that I built a house and picked all the colors/fixtures just a couple of years ago with greater ease.... Few people that I know have the same interest. Glad to know that I'm not a mutant.... Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey from another mutent! For me it was Volvo, Audi, or BMW. Yes I did just happen to stop by dealers with no sales people around. I also lurked at the BBs. I finally ordered the 75th Anniversary Edition S80 T6. Now I have to wait until 16 July to pick it up in Sweden
My wife drives our 95 850 wagon. Now that's a great car. Thanx to eveyone here for their help.

Glen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts