SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grabbed the wife and I a car we've always wanted, a 2000 V70R! We knew buying a 20 year old car that we'd find some problems but once I got under the car I realized that the driveshaft had been removed. When driving I can hear a mechanical whine from the rear of the car as well (I'm assuming I'm hearing the rear diff).

How can I verify that the car was properly changed to FWD?

Doesn't having the rear end not properly hooked up still need to be serviced (there is fluid in there).

How is this going to affect the angle gear? The thing is still hot after 4 hours of not being driven.

So frustrated. My dreams feel crushed and far away now.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don’t think there is a “proper” way to convert to FWD. I think everyone just pulls the driveshaft.

The rear does still need fluid in it.

I don’t think it effects the bevel gear. What is staying hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The case of the bevel/angle gear was still hot.

I just have a feeling that a transfer case, which I'm assuming is technically what an angle gear is, which is designed to be under a load by spinning the drive shaft just freely spinning is not "healthy" for the transmission (which btw was replaced by volvo 40k ago).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Think of a ring and pinion. That’s basically what an angle gear is. Passenger axle going through the middle of the ring gear. At least that’s my understanding. I don’t think it cares about load. Although, some issue in the angle gear could be why they pulled the driveshaft to begin with. I have a 98 R parts car I’d give you parts off of, but I don’t think ANY of it will work on a 2000.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Congrats on the purchase ! Post up some pictures of your new ride. Sorry can't help on the hot transfer case. Im still learning the AWD of these wagons. But there are really smart people here that im sure will chime in.

·
Registered
854 Posts
And add your location to your signature. If you on the east coast and really get stumped on any issues, Rolling Motors in CT is the goto Indy shop for Volvo's

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are three iterations of P80 awd systems. You can use any of them so long as you’re switching the angle gear, prop shaft and viscous coupler together. There is a pinned awd breakdown that Hussein (Lookforjoe) put together, it will explain the differences in more detail.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?163864-98-00-AWD-Component-Parts-Listings

The whining you are hearing is almost certainly coming from the angle gear, as it is really uncommon to see rear diff failure. Check the rear diff fluid and probably go ahead and replace it.

I cringe when I see people pick up these P80 R’s and run them in FWD. I’m in the minority here on Swedespeed in this regard, but I *firmly* believe the awd P80 is superior to fwd delta link. I’ve owned 4 p80 R’s, a p80 XC70 and three fwd p80 t5 sedans and would much prefer to drive the AWD versions. That’s just my opinion.

People also WAY overstate the fragility of the p80 mechanical AWD. In ten years of hard use in my built ‘98 V70r I have lost one angle gear. You CANNOT launch these cars with the stock awd components but if you roll-in to power they will take significant power. My previous engine setup dyno’d at 484 awhp and 598 awtq on a Mustang “heartbreaker” dyno- new motor likely over 500 awhp and 600 awtq, so I do believe I’m qualified to make this statement.

Fix the awd and add a good tune, then enjoy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Here are some not so glamorous glamour shot!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Threw the pics in but they didn't seem to imbed :confused:

Also just purchased an entirely new PCV system off of IPD. Volvo had "serviced" the system about 50k ago but it was a disaster once I started digging into where the oil was coming from. In my past I've learned that just replacing 1 failed part means the entire system was probably about to go. Now it's time for a whole can of degreaser and a whoooooole lotta towls LOL.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
There are three iterations of P80 awd systems. You can use any of them so long as you’re switching the angle gear, prop shaft and viscous coupler together. There is a pinned awd breakdown that Hussein (Lookforjoe) put together, it will explain the differences in more detail.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?163864-98-00-AWD-Component-Parts-Listings

The whining you are hearing is almost certainly coming from the angle gear, as it is really uncommon to see rear diff failure. Check the rear diff fluid and probably go ahead and replace it.

I cringe when I see people pick up these P80 R’s and run them in FWD. I’m in the minority here on Swedespeed in this regard, but I *firmly* believe the awd P80 is superior to fwd delta link. I’ve owned 4 p80 R’s, a p80 XC70 and three fwd p80 t5 sedans and would much prefer to drive the AWD versions. That’s just my opinion.

People also WAY overstate the fragility of the p80 mechanical AWD. In ten years of hard use in my built ‘98 V70r I have lost one angle gear. You CANNOT launch these cars with the stock awd components but if you roll-in to power they will take significant power. My previous engine setup dyno’d at 484 awhp and 598 awtq on a Mustang “heartbreaker” dyno- new motor likely over 500 awhp and 600 awtq, so I do believe I’m qualified to make this statement.

Fix the awd and add a good tune, then enjoy!
Angle gear is 00 only. I think cause of the five speed auto.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Angle gear is 00 only. I think cause of the five speed auto.

Nope. Same as XC. Done the swap for 00 Rs three times.

The passenger axle needs to match the angle gear and downpipe. That’s it. 98 is in its own special sandbox but if you think outside the box you can use 99-00 stuff on the 98 chassis by changing wheel bearings and associated hardware. AG input shaft splines are the same.

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
I don’t think there is a “proper” way to convert to FWD. I think everyone just pulls the driveshaft.
You just drop the rear end out and replace with a delta link and FWD gas tank

I cringe when I see people pick up these P80 R’s and run them in FWD. I’m in the minority here on Swedespeed in this regard,[...] My previous engine setup dyno’d at 484 awhp and 598 awtq on a Mustang “heartbreaker” dyno- new motor likely over 500 awhp and 600 awtq
If you're cringing at driveshaft deletes, I'm with you 100% on that. Either make it functional or delete it properly. Dysfunctional equipment drives me crazy.

You're also in the minority of people making enough power to make legitimate use of the AWD from a performance perspective. I don't have a traction problem in my 850R with a Quaife and UHP summer tires and that's probably in the neighborhood of 300 WHP. At that level, having the lighter car makes way more sense to me unless you need AWD for some other reason.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New question. Oil leak that seems to be coming from underneath the upper torque mount would be? It seems like its on the driver side of the exhaust cam. I thought it was coming from the PCV system and its not. Could have saved myself some time there LOL.

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
New question. Oil leak that seems to be coming from underneath the upper torque mount would be? It seems like its on the driver side of the exhaust cam. I thought it was coming from the PCV system and its not. Could have saved myself some time there LOL.
there's a cam seal there....i'd look at that

·
Registered
854 Posts
Like Jared said probably cam seal which might be blown because of clogged PCV. How many miles are on the R ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Congrats on the buy, these vehicles really need a good look over before purchasing, you live and learn. I have a 2000 angle gear that I may be willing to part with, you’ll need to find a driveshaft though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Overdue nonglam shots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts