SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been two full days, and I am thrilled. I love everything about the car-- especially the Brilliant Blue color. It looks really nice with the off-black interior. The sport steering wheel and shift knob (both have brushed aluminum accents which compliment the center stack and door trim) feel and look great, and I have to say that the shift knob was probably the best $70 I've ever spent -- I'd recommend it to anyone who has the aluminum interior and is looking for a nice additional accent. I just couldn't warm up to the plastic-looking stock knob.<p>I'm still trying to adjust to the 6 speed and the throttle... both are VERY different than what I'm used to in my previous car (VW GTI). I seem to be driving a lot more slowly without noticing in the Volvo (which is probably a very good thing...).<p>One important question that I'm really curious about: in the 100-or-so miles I've put on the car since delivery, my gas mileage has been almost unbelievably bad -- I've averaged around 14.6mpg, according to the car's computer, and it seems like whenever I look at the "instantaneous" readout when I'm accelerating -- accelerating EXTREMELY gently, never over 2000 rpm, I should add -- I am literally getting between 5 and 8 mpg. Does this have something to do with the fact that the car isn't yet broken in? I mean, I knew I wasn't signing on for prius-like mileage with the AWD and all, but the car is rated for 20 city/30 highway... I'm barely getting half that!<p>Anyway, again I must say I am so excited to be a Volvo owner, and I love this car. And thank you to you all for entertaining me for the past month and a half while I waited for the car to get here. I will post photos this weekend once I've mounted 18" Volution V's and washed the car (it poured for two straight days as soon as I picked it up, after a complete draught for the past month... typical).

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Same thing happens when I accelerate, but when it levels out im usually up @ high 20s for instantaneous. I avg 18mpg and i live in miami btw.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Fuel economy does get better as you put more miles on your car. I averaged about 19 MPG in 100% city driving (DC), but was able to hit 33-34 MPG on highway trips (~80 MPH).<p>Congrats on your new S40!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: (JAS40T5)

My V50 T5 AWD averages 14.1L/100km, which works out to about 16mpg. That's almost all city mileage, and I'm pretty heavy footed. I was getting 14.8 average, so I was super easy on the last tank, but it barely improved. I'm a bit disappointed t gets such miserable mileage, but what can I do?<p> Al

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm at WOT often in my V50 T5 AWD 6spd and I get ~18mpg city.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: (quick)

My driving is a mix of city and highway. I consistantly get between 25 and 28 mpg. All highway I have seen +32 mpg. It is surprising to see how many people seem to be getting significantly less. I have calculated my mpg using the tripometer and gallons of gas on fill up just to confirm my car's computer wasn't lying to me. Each time the reported average mpg was pretty close.<p>I have notice when I fill up with gas that has a % of ethenol my mpg is less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts