SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven a couple of T6s but never got around to a T5
I have one as a loaner today, not bad.
Certainly quick enough for most "normal" driving but I have to say this radio is a real PIA to use.
I was more interested in the T6s for driving, and I don't recall even turning on the radio but this one being a loaner I have.
I can see where the big radio and NAV could be a real PIA to use.
Other than that, so far, it's a real nice, generally fun car to drive

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Until you pull into a gas station ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
This "normal" driver loves his T5.

·
Administrator
55,887 Posts
Until you pull into a gas station ;)
I noticed a 3mpg difference between driving the T5 and the T6 on my commute to work. Not sure that's enough to give up on the R-Design package.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I noticed a 3mpg difference between driving the T5 and the T6 on my commute to work. Not sure that's enough to give up on the R-Design package.
I routinely get mid 30's MPG highway, which is very nice for those trips to the beach. With 295 ft-lb of available torque I have no problems getting to work :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in flat South Florida and the T5 is more than enough, if I lived in different terrain/weather the decision would have been the T6 AWD or the R-Design. Different strokes for different folks. Overall I love my car it has enough power to do what I want and need, and if I ever want to upgrade to the R-Design look I can.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Certainly quick enough for most "normal" driving but I have to say this radio is a real PIA to use.
I was more interested in the T6s for driving, and I don't recall even turning on the radio but this one being a loaner I have.
I can see where the big radio and NAV could be a real PIA to use.
Other than that, so far, it's a real nice, generally fun car to drive

I really dont understand how you Americans consider a 250hp car just "okay" for the normal (!!) driver.

Here in Turkey, and in most of Europe a 250hp car is considered real quick even for the spirited driver, and where I live there are no speed limits on many roads...

·
Registered
248 Posts

what's different about the T6 radio?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Would have loved the RD if I could have afforded it. But I have the T5 and I love it. Plenty of power and quick enough for most driving applications. If I were to do one performance upgrade, it would be on the suspension front before adding HP. Sensus took a short while to get used to, the radio is not as quick and easy to operate as the first gen S60. But overall I am happy with how Sensus operates.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I really dont understand how you Americans consider a 250hp car just "okay" for the normal (!!) driver.

Here in Turkey, and in most of Europe a 250hp car is considered real quick even for the spirited driver, and where I live there are no speed limits on many roads...
It's the price of gas, large expanses of open roads, daily commutes exceeding 20 miles one way, and a general desire for bigger, faster, stronger (wait, that might be the 6 million dollar man). The 325HP car in my family is the "slow" one. ;>

·
Registered
90 Posts
Would have loved the RD if I could have afforded it. But I have the T5 and I love it. Plenty of power and quick enough for most driving applications. If I were to do one performance upgrade, it would be on the suspension front before adding HP. Sensus took a short while to get used to, the radio is not as quick and easy to operate as the first gen S60. But overall I am happy with how Sensus operates.
I completely agree. Put the shifter in "S" mode and the car is a rocket to the point of being too jumpy in my opinion. But love it anyway.

As for Sensus the only thing I ont like is the connectivity with my iPhone and not being able to go through playlists. Otherwise the display is clear and crisp. Plus the 3D rendering on the NAV is really beautiful.

·
Registered
534 Posts
North American 'T5'

Unlike us in Europe and other markets where our T5s sport the Ford Ecoboost 4 pot engine you have the older Volvo 5 pot, late of the smaller T5s and the Focus ST in your S/V60s.....for some quaint reason.

That means that you are able to achieve outputs in the high 300s (bhp) if you go as far as fitting the KKK turbo off the Focus RS, bigger injectors, intercooler etc.....

Regards, Don.

PS not that we cannot gain higher outputs from our Ecoboost engines as they are in the new slightly longer wheelbase (same as new S40) Focus ST out very soon which will be readfily modified here as the demand for such work from the young 'fast Ford' owners will ensure many competative offerings.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts