SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it's been an annoyance ever since I got my car...where's the boost gauge? I mean even my mom's uber box 740 wagon had one, god that was a long time ago.

The plan here was to create something with a factory look, more so than anything else I have seen minus a fabric a-pillar setup. Below is basically a pictorial step by step. I think it came out pretty good considering I've never done anything like this before :rolleyes:

Step1 - Figure out proper positioning.

Step2 - Ish. Cutting stuff up.

Step 3 Notice how it slightly covers the important warning lights as Tracs and Abs. Seemed fitting.

Step 4 - In the middle of molding.

Close up, finished product.

Day

Night

Hope you guys don't mind the sub par quality camera pics from my Android, I know they are not the greatest. At this particular moment the decision has not been made if the AutoMeter is accomplishing any type of relation with my interior based on its angle and light output. It does match the stereo lighting though...

Edit: Extra notes...
-Universal 52mm Slim Pod
-Krylon Paint Satin/Flat

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Love it! Too bad the gauge didn't have a blue face. Interesting location, install looks pretty darn clean too.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Placement and quality look great, glad to see people doing it right. Keep it up.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Pretty svelte, I like it!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
well done!
this is exactly where i'm thinking of putting my remote display for my V1. How much room is there behind the shroud that you modified? were you tight with what you did, or is there plenty of room? any photos from when the shroud was off?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
very nice, very nice. Cheap too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is sick..i may have to see about cancelling my CFW pod that isnt even made that I ordered almost 2 months ago...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That looks great, I would use iPds R gauge and it would be a perfect combo

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Wow! Someone finally one-upped the CFW door pod install for the cleanest boost solution. That looks great!

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Fitzy - get a shroud from a salvage yard or something, make it up, and then you have one ready to go when people mail you their shrouds in exhange.

You should totally sell this for $100 as long as they send in their shrouds as core replacement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was that an off the shelf pillar pod? Looks awesome! Need to balance it with something one the other side. A/F? I think the gauge would look great with the silver or blue face.

·
6,444 Posts
Great job!
I think you should do a gauge on each side: Boost and AF

It's only a matter of time till IPD picks it up and start selling this "dual gauge bezel pod"

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Excellent work! You've also given me an idea. I'm going to try to put a pod on each side, the same height as the fuel and temperature gauges. That way it will look like one line of gauges and they also won't block any of the messages or warning lights.

:cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
great job, very well done, where did you get the gauge pod?
Agreed, excellent install! Looks like a "standard" Auto Meter boost gauge. You can get them from jegs.com, summitracing.com, or any local parts store.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well done!
this is exactly where i'm thinking of putting my remote display for my V1. How much room is there behind the shroud that you modified? were you tight with what you did, or is there plenty of room? any photos from when the shroud was off?
-There is about as much room as you can fit anything on the bezel itself. PM me if you need any help.

if I send you one of those bezels and gauge pod, care to make another? :)
PM me, I have 2 extra bezels not spoken for and several pods :D

Love it! Too bad the gauge didn't have a blue face. Interesting location, install looks pretty darn clean too.
+1 To the blue face. I have looked for a long time to find something that matched, I tried matching just the white...nothing really lined up that pleased me as much as this Carbon gauge for the time being. Stealthy's gauge or the NEW IPD gauge that's not out yet would be a close match. I still am not interested in throwing down over $75 for a gauge yet tho.

Fitzy - get a shroud from a salvage yard or something, make it up, and then you have one ready to go when people mail you their shrouds in exhange.

You should totally sell this for $100 as long as they send in their shrouds as core replacement.
-Way ahead of you, I think great minds think alike as I already have 3 bezels:p What is the policy on SS for selling? If I just keep it in the FS would that be adequate, or would I need to register as a vendor...

Great job!
I think you should do a gauge on each side: Boost and AF

It's only a matter of time till IPD picks it up and start selling this "dual gauge bezel pod"
-I had thought of that, at the moment I believe I want to try a ScanGaugeII on the other side...Stealthy has inspired me to use one. If anything on the other side it would be a toss up between AFR and Volt for sure. I hope IPD does not, they will steal my thunder! One thing you notice is that the bezel is VERY complicated in terms of fitment. There is no way it is worth the hassle to injection mold this as Volvo has, even other forms of replication would be difficult.

To everyone else, thanks for the comments!! It is just an off the shelf universal pod, cheap as possible since it was getting cut up. The first time around it was pretty difficult and time consuming making it come together and look smooth...things are way faster second time around:D

1 - 20 of 121 Posts