SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I ever posted this over here, but I know I searched for a solution at one point. Since it was new, my 2005 S60R exhibited a strange vibration during medium to sharp, low-speed right turns. It almost felt as though it the car was driving over rumble strips. You could also feel it through the steering wheel.<p>The dealership tried several times to fix the problem during the past year (now have about 8k miles on it), by shimming the front wheels, tire balancing, alignments, etc. Finally, I got fed up and escalated the problem to their Senior tech when the vibration started happening more frequently, on left and right turns!<p>The tech ended up replacing the Steering Box (Part# 36000130-9), the Steering Shaft (Part# 30741959-7) and the, not sure what this means, Power Steering Rack (30741424-3 x 2). <p>Now, even though I have a squeeking sound in the steering wheel (going in on Monday) as a result of the repair, the vibration is gone.<p>I hope that information may help someone in the future.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Finally, a resolution to my vibration problem... (theepp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>theepp</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The tech ended up replacing the Steering Box (Part# 36000130-9), the Steering Shaft (Part# 30741959-7) and the, not sure what this means, Power Steering Rack (30741424-3 x 2).</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It means big warranty $$$$$.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: Finally, a resolution to my vibration problem... (MagoonR)

It means $3k plus!<p>My car had the same issue...They 'could not reproduce it' but finally it got bad enough they finally could feel it and I got a new steering rack and PS pump!<p>SOOO much better now!<p>

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 05 S60R exhibits the same vibration/noise at low speeds, only when turning right I think. I took it to the dealer and the tech said they adjusted the stops and it was fine, but they were unable to reproduce the noise. The problem still exists and is a little embarassing when turning in the parking garage at work and coworkers riding along ask what that horrible noise is... Is the rack and S.Box that bad that mine might also need replacing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've lived through the "could not reproduce" with this a bunch of times. It finally got to the point where I could drive around a parking lot and on almost every turn it would occur. I made sure the lead tech went with me on the last test drive and immediately as we pulled out of the dealership, it happened. I felt vindicated. I was close to going the lemon law route because I brought it to the dealer four previous times and I felt this would be a serious safety issue if the steering all of a sudden failed. It just kept getting worse. Thankfully, it didn't go that far.<p>And, I know EXACTLY what you mean by feeling embarrased by the sound!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts