SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Final Words of Advice?

2K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  TurbineWagon 
#1 ·
Hey bunch, I'm new in this part of the forum.

Going to close on an '08 V8 with 123k this afternoon. I've looked over everything on it that I could find in this forum... need to look at the battery and make sure all the spare tire kit is there, but other than that... I spent about an hour yesterday in the dealer lot around and underneath it with a flashlight poking and prodding. I can't find anything mechanically wrong with it. Drove great, no clunks, trans seems strong, all power stuff seems to work as it should.

Anyone have any last minute tips or words of advice not mentioned elsewhere? Little things that everybody forgets in the prebuy on these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
You said "dealer lot". Do you mean an actual Volvo dealership? I ask because getting a PPI is well worth the $100. The 08 V8 is statistically one of the "good" ones. Not sure what to check at 123k since I'm at about half that...

#4 ·
No Xenons... I did my best to single out every option that could be an irritatingly expensive failure item as it ages. Struts and arm bushings looked great (actually looked new). Not a Volvo dealer, but a used dealer that specializes in Euro makes. They scanned for codes with a DiCE in front of me and my old Volvo tech buddy tagged along. It was more thorough than any dealer PPI I've ever paid for and observed.

#6 ·
I bought mine its a 2008 V8 with 120k... .and i drove it for about an hour looked at it kept trying to find flaws and i just couldnt.

Bought it, drove it home some 300 miles away, then put 10k miles in 3 months on it and during the oil change last week I did a full inspection on the under side, found a bone dry powertrain with all good rubbers on bushings and joints... Never been replaced any of them all Volvo OEM parts and nothing was loose.

Mine was a one owner car that was traded in and always serviced at the dealer (volvo dealer).

i would buy another one with that many miles and wont blink once about it.

Solid solid car!!! Good luck with yours.

#10 ·
Inquiring minds want to know... :)

#11 ·
We did! Proud new owners of "Jet" the XC90. I liked it on the test drive, loved it on the 70mi drive home. Most importantly the wife likes it, since it is hers. ;). There are some minor issues that my OCD will have to resolve or just deal with (mostly related to cleaning) but it's not fun unless it is a project, right?

Here's a potato photo of the happy new owner and ride. It looks much nicer in person, but a full detail will happen as soon as it warms up. Averaged 23.5mpg on the ride home at 75mph. I'm impressed.

#23 ·
This is not an Executive. Executives were not offered with Black Sapphire but with Ember Black.

This is a typical XC90 V8 Sport (18" Camulus wheels and Black Sapphire color are the two tell-tale signs).

#13 ·
Oddball, right? Was thinking the same thing. I didn't want Xenon's and the 18" Camulus' will be cheaper to shod than some of the XC90's I was finding with 19's. Was a USDM delivered car as far as I know, started as a leased fleet vehicle with an absurdly good maintenance pedigree, best I can tell whoever was driving just drove back and forth between Kansas and the Atlanta area. I haven't found the window sticker yet if it is in the car, but I can provide a VIN if there are any Volvo techs here that might be able to dig up some info.

#14 · (Edited)
And to answer some previous questions - It does have the original glass all around, and all the appropriate numbers match. ;)

So as best I can tell... it has the Executive package (minus the wheels), DynAudio (but no Xenons, so no tech package), Heated Seats and Headlight Washers (but no auto wipers, so not the Climate/Convenience Package), Rear Park Assist (again, none of the other Convenience items really). Some oddball boxes checked individually. 18" wheels appear to have been an option.

This is the article I found:

http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2008-Volvo-XC90/expert-review/

I guess it just fits in the with the family oddities... my V50 was a Ford US test mule before the first owners got it.

#24 ·
Again, does not look like an Executive; Executives came with Ember Black (not Black Sapphire), 19" GALATEIA wheels (not 18" CAMULUS) were an option but 9 out 10 Executives had them, and had soft leather along with thicker, plush carpets.

Does it have Sapeli wood trim and steering wheel?

#16 ·
Oooh! That is neat!

#17 ·
Same deal with mine.

Executive package with the softer leather, the Brushed ALUM mirrors and the rear door strip. NAV, RSE, but no Xenons. All other options are present.
I guess the Executive pacakge was simply the leather seats, floor mats and wheels. All others are added or deleted features.

Here is mine.

#18 ·
You've got a trailer hitch though.... that's the one box I wish they checked on ours, that was missing. Oh well, I'll get around to it later. :)

#19 · (Edited)
Great looking car - congrats! I picked up my 2008 V8 Executive early last year. It was in great condition other than the badges - so replaced the one on the front grill and the two Executive badges on the rear doors, and also went for the wider spaced 'VOLVO' badge on the rear tailgate.

The best 'mod' I've done is to get rid of the OEM brake pads and go with Akebono ceramic pads all round. The OEM ones squealed like crazy and threw off so much brake dust that it constantly looked like my 19 inch Galateia were black!!!

#21 ·
Congrats! looking forward to seeing more picts.

#22 ·
There will be more when I get home from work in two weeks and have some time to detail it. :)

#25 ·
Well, it may not be sapphire, I don't have the color in front of me, it just matches what I best remember. It is definitely an executive car though - has the wrong trim everywhere to be a Sport. 18" wheels were an option for the Exec, from what I can tell, and would match the rest of the car's oddball no-frills option structure.

#27 ·
Well, it may not be sapphire, I don't have the color in front of me, it just matches what I best remember. It is definitely an executive car though - has the wrong trim everywhere to be a Sport. 18" wheels were an option for the Exec, from what I can tell, and would match the rest of the car's oddball no-frills option structure.

18" CAMULUS were the standard wheels for the Executive.

19" GALATEIA were optional

#26 ·
It has the soft leather, delightful fluffy carpets, and Sapeli trim (complete with cracks).

#28 ·
It has the soft leather, delightful fluffy carpets, and Sapeli trim (complete with cracks).

Yes, then it is an Executive and your color is Ember Black. When it is sunny out, you should see some brownish flecks in the paint.

#29 ·
But that would require sunlight! Come on spring!

#30 ·
It has the little chrome strips on the bottom of the rear lights, which I believe was an executive only feature? Also, just from his photo, it looks Ember Black. Mine is Ember Black too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.