SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey bunch, I'm new in this part of the forum.

Going to close on an '08 V8 with 123k this afternoon. I've looked over everything on it that I could find in this forum... need to look at the battery and make sure all the spare tire kit is there, but other than that... I spent about an hour yesterday in the dealer lot around and underneath it with a flashlight poking and prodding. I can't find anything mechanically wrong with it. Drove great, no clunks, trans seems strong, all power stuff seems to work as it should.

Anyone have any last minute tips or words of advice not mentioned elsewhere? Little things that everybody forgets in the prebuy on these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
You said "dealer lot". Do you mean an actual Volvo dealership? I ask because getting a PPI is well worth the $100. The 08 V8 is statistically one of the "good" ones. Not sure what to check at 123k since I'm at about half that...

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Shocks, control arm bushings, headlight lenses especially if xenon

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Xenons... I did my best to single out every option that could be an irritatingly expensive failure item as it ages. Struts and arm bushings looked great (actually looked new). Not a Volvo dealer, but a used dealer that specializes in Euro makes. They scanned for codes with a DiCE in front of me and my old Volvo tech buddy tagged along. It was more thorough than any dealer PPI I've ever paid for and observed.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I bought mine its a 2008 V8 with 120k... .and i drove it for about an hour looked at it kept trying to find flaws and i just couldnt.

Bought it, drove it home some 300 miles away, then put 10k miles in 3 months on it and during the oil change last week I did a full inspection on the under side, found a bone dry powertrain with all good rubbers on bushings and joints... Never been replaced any of them all Volvo OEM parts and nothing was loose.

Mine was a one owner car that was traded in and always serviced at the dealer (volvo dealer).

i would buy another one with that many miles and wont blink once about it.

Solid solid car!!! Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Did you look for matching VIN numbers on ALL of the panels, including rear tailgate?

Original windshield?

·
Registered
219 Posts
make sure the radio and head unit (ICM) works in all modes - Am FM and CD if any of those don't work it will need a replacement unit

·
Registered
563 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know... :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We did! Proud new owners of "Jet" the XC90. I liked it on the test drive, loved it on the 70mi drive home. Most importantly the wife likes it, since it is hers. ;). There are some minor issues that my OCD will have to resolve or just deal with (mostly related to cleaning) but it's not fun unless it is a project, right?

Here's a potato photo of the happy new owner and ride. It looks much nicer in person, but a full detail will happen as soon as it warms up. Averaged 23.5mpg on the ride home at 75mph. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You got an interesting one. Looks like an Executive (badge on rear pillar base, brushed metal mirror covers) but no Xenons and 18" Camulus wheels. Can't find anything on the 2008 Executive in the US brochures (thought it was offered after 2009). Maybe this was a Euro spec car originally?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oddball, right? Was thinking the same thing. I didn't want Xenon's and the 18" Camulus' will be cheaper to shod than some of the XC90's I was finding with 19's. Was a USDM delivered car as far as I know, started as a leased fleet vehicle with an absurdly good maintenance pedigree, best I can tell whoever was driving just drove back and forth between Kansas and the Atlanta area. I haven't found the window sticker yet if it is in the car, but I can provide a VIN if there are any Volvo techs here that might be able to dig up some info.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And to answer some previous questions - It does have the original glass all around, and all the appropriate numbers match. ;)

So as best I can tell... it has the Executive package (minus the wheels), DynAudio (but no Xenons, so no tech package), Heated Seats and Headlight Washers (but no auto wipers, so not the Climate/Convenience Package), Rear Park Assist (again, none of the other Convenience items really). Some oddball boxes checked individually. 18" wheels appear to have been an option.

This is the article I found:

http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2008-Volvo-XC90/expert-review/

I guess it just fits in the with the family oddities... my V50 was a Ford US test mule before the first owners got it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Being the owner of a 5-seat, fabric interior (no heated seat), no sunroof '05, I hear ya....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oooh! That is neat!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Same deal with mine.

Executive package with the softer leather, the Brushed ALUM mirrors and the rear door strip. NAV, RSE, but no Xenons. All other options are present.
I guess the Executive pacakge was simply the leather seats, floor mats and wheels. All others are added or deleted features.

Here is mine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You've got a trailer hitch though.... that's the one box I wish they checked on ours, that was missing. Oh well, I'll get around to it later. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Great looking car - congrats! I picked up my 2008 V8 Executive early last year. It was in great condition other than the badges - so replaced the one on the front grill and the two Executive badges on the rear doors, and also went for the wider spaced 'VOLVO' badge on the rear tailgate.

The best 'mod' I've done is to get rid of the OEM brake pads and go with Akebono ceramic pads all round. The OEM ones squealed like crazy and threw off so much brake dust that it constantly looked like my 19 inch Galateia were black!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts