SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This forum has been instrumental in finalizing my purchase of the new XC90.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the T6 Inscription with in Magic Blue, Amber interior, Convenience (with air suspension) and Vision package.

I'm wavering on a few add-on's that I could use some help with.

Running Boards vs. Side Scuff plates-I'm on the fence here. Does anyone have pics of the running boards at night? I'm considering these options via the Urban Luxury kit...but very expensive.

Headliner-I'm trying to determine the color with and without the headliner. Not sure how this would look with the amber interior.

21" vs 20" Wheels-I've read differing opinions on the handling with the 21" and many prefer the 20". Any thoughts here?

Protective Grill-What is this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like the scuff plates over the running boards. Because of the way the body curves inward, I'm not sure how useful are the running boards as opposed to something like the LR4. I've only seen the running boards in pictures, though. I like how the scuff plates eliminates the chrome trim, which I don't like.

I think the black headliner is the only way to go with the amber seats.

From what I gather, 21" wheels look the best. However, seems expensive to replace and the ratio is too low for me to feel comfortable in doing a lot of off-road stuff. But I think it's a natural fit with the chrome theme of the Inscription.

I think the protective grill is something like a cage for a dog. I could be wrong.

These are just personal opinions, of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the scuff plates over the running boards. Because of the way the body curves inward, I'm not sure how useful are the running boards as opposed to something like the LR4. I've only seen the running boards in pictures, though. I like how the scuff plates eliminates the chrome trim, which I don't like.

I think the black headliner is the only way to go with the amber seats.

From what I gather, 21" wheels look the best. However, seems expensive to replace and the ratio is too low for me to feel comfortable in doing a lot of off-road stuff. But I think it's a natural fit with the chrome theme of the Inscription.

I think the protective grill is something like a cage for a dog. I could be wrong.

These are just personal opinions, of course.
Very helpful.

What is the default headliner color? Charcoal?

Agree on the 21" wheel. The dealer quoted $1200 a tire to replace...very expensive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got the Urban Styling kit (i know, it is possibly the most over priced option in recent history, but i'm coming from a more expensive car and really like the way it looks) and can say after 3 days of ownership that the running boards look great, but are only useful for getting your pant leg dirty every time you enter/exit the car. for kids they are mildly useful.

i would go with the 21's only for looks - the handling with the 20's is great, and the extra rubber is nice (they are still only 275/45's with the 20s so not a huge amount of cushion anyway, 275/50's would have been ideal to me.) But those 21" wheels look great and only 750 upgrade.

Mine is charcoal interior so i like the grey headliner, lightens things up and just kind of disappears...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I believe the lighter color, whatever it's called, is the default. The 'charcoal' is the official name of what we commonly refer to as 'black.'
There is a separate option for charcoal/black headliner (in US at least). So the default probably is light gray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the Urban Styling kit (i know, it is possibly the most over priced option in recent history, but i'm coming from a more expensive car and really like the way it looks) and can say after 3 days of ownership that the running boards look great, but are only useful for getting your pant leg dirty every time you enter/exit the car. for kids they are mildly useful.

i would go with the 21's only for looks - the handling with the 20's is great, and the extra rubber is nice (they are still only 275/45's with the 20s so not a huge amount of cushion anyway, 275/50's would have been ideal to me.) But those 21" wheels look great and only 750 upgrade.

Mine is charcoal interior so i like the grey headliner, lightens things up and just kind of disappears...
Very interesting....I'm probably going to switch to the Urban Styling Kit with side scuff plates instead. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Imo without the running boards the urban styling kit is just not much of change from stock to justify the price. I love the skid plates which I have but didn't see the point in getting the side scuff plates.

I know it's not very popular but I'm really a fan of the rugged kit on certain colors.

Also keep in mind that the kits delete the lower door inscription trim.

Oh also for the headliner I really think you could go either way. I have the black and it looks great but I think the lighter one looks great too especially with magic blue/Amber. It's an additional contrast but it's nice

·
Registered
130 Posts
The default headliner I believe is "blond"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very helpful.

What is the default headliner color? Charcoal?

Agree on the 21" wheel. The dealer quoted $1200 a tire to replace...very expensive.
Maybe for all 4...no way per tire. Someone on this forum just had a flat tire and it was $350 with install for the tire from what I remember.

The 21's look much better than the 20's but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think it's roughly $1200 per wheel and tire. Actually a little more if you're going with full retail price which is what a dealer will quote when they're trying to sell you a warranty.

The 20s are not really a whole lot cheaper with full oem setup but you can find cheaper tires in 20". I got the wheel and tire protection for that reason but I also think that we will see more tire choices in the 21" before too long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the running boards on my Momentum + and have posted a few comments on them. Also have pics in the night and will try to upload - although no photo I've taken captures the ambience of the light. First off the lighting at night is seriously cool and takes the 'looks' to a different level. It literally draws attention from everyone in proximity. It creates a big 'wow' effect. There is nothing on any other car I've seen that is as 'cool'. However the benefits in my view ends there. I find the step actually gets in the way of entering and exiting the car and I've also noticed that you can not actually clean it where it meets the door pillar between the front and rear doors because the board runs right up against the bottom of the door. I believe this to be a design issue. The step should be lower as on the (old) Q7/Discovery which would also make it useable. Personally I would give the running boards a miss - but damn I love them at night!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts