SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have a squeaky front pass side strut. From what I have read and understand it should just be a upper strut bushing. Is that right. Also when I start the car everytime the service light comes on but then turns off after a few miles or about 5-10 minutes. What could that be? Also the driver side molding needs to be replaced on the front and rear door. I get the clips that slide back and forward, but what about the back clip that looks like it sits on a post. How does that clip come on and off? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Few questions from a volvo noobie! (speedboxt-5)

<br><B>"Also when I start the car everytime the service light comes on but then turns off after a few miles or about 5-10 minutes."</B><p>It means your car needs service, a novel idea!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

When you open the door you will see a little black plug basically on the opposite site of that clip. Pop the clip off there should be a Torx 15 screw in there holding that clip on. hold the clip with a plier or your fingers when taking the screw out.<br>Just a bit of advice.....but a little Butyl tape on the tip of the Torx when removing the screw to prevent the screw from falling in the door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Few questions from a volvo noobie! (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It means your car needs service, a novel idea!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yea I know, but the car has been serviced. How do I get the light to not come on?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>speedboxt-5</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Yea I know, but the car has been serviced. How do I get the light to not come on?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Every year has a different procedure. What year is your car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Few questions from a volvo noobie! (JRL)

mine is a 97 t-5. I would take that there is a special tool like the BMWs have to reset the service light?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

I think 97's take the tool

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Yes, '97's take a special tool you use through the OBD-II port...like my '98. There are several alternatives: 1. Take the bulb out of the dash. 2. Put a piece of tape over the lamp on the dash.<p>If you want a tool to turn it off, the IPD reset tool will work but is expensive. Other alternatives: 1. Draper Reset Tool (bought mine off of ebay for about $75 including shipping...they all come from the UK and I don't see any on ebay now....) you might do a google search for it. 2. Alex Pepper Software you use through a laptop computer. 3. Get the dealer to turn it off with their Vadis/Vida software.<p>Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Okay, nobody hit this one, so I will. The Front strut bushing is likely gone out or going out. FCP Groton will sell you a set of new ones (fairly inexpensively)...If you get a Service Manual, it says that you need 3 Volvo (specialty tools). I found this to not be the case, as I removed and replaced mine using a $150 Craftsman tool set, heavy duty standard screwdriver, a pipe wrench and a spring compressor from AutoZone.<p>BTW, if the right one went out, the left one is probably soon after (better to just replace it now).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: Few questions from a volvo noobie! (gonzo628)

Might as well replace the sway bar links at the same time. If they are not bad now, they will be. The IPD part is a big improvement over OEM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts