SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 v70r with 218,000 miles on the tranny an body but only 75,000 on a engine and turbo rebuild. My question is what manual tranny would b best for me? And where could i find good trannys? Next is that the car feels kinda sluggish it only has about 8 psi at WOT, it seems like its always in a lower gear. So is this a symptom of a tranny going or is there something else? I have checked all vacuum lines an they seem all good no holes all connected. I did find that the wires runing to the tcv (i think thats what it is) look a bit frayed. Any help would be great thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Literally the factory manual transmission was an M58. This was not available for the US Market and 7 V70 AWDs with manual transmissions were imported to Canada for '98. There were probably a fair number of 850 AWDs which had M58s in them for 1997 in Canada (again not available in the U.S.). Assuming you are in the US, you could try to find one of these M58s from Canada or you can get the M66 from an S60R which is a newer 6 spd gearbox that several people have used successfully in the swap.

Not sure about your other question. Boost pressure should be about 11 PSI stock IIRC on the R. Re-check all of the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
@big will

slightly OT question while this is being discussed, any idea on how many T5M's were made for '98? were they rare?

Also you mention the M66, would this be able to be bolted on to the T5 fwd or is it only for AWD cars?

·
Registered
06 Vr 6sp, 98 T5V 5sp
580 Posts
I've read consistently there were a few hundred (possibly 200) 98 t5m's imported that year. This is just based on what I remember. I also seem to remember that only 50-60 1998 v70t5m's were imported, but I can't verify.

You could always use the m56h from a front wheel drive car if you don't mind loosing the awd.

Regarding the sluggishness. When was the last time you did a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, roter)? How old is the PVC? Have you checked your intake hoses to see if they are leaking? Have you checked and adjusted your wastgate?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
@big will

slightly OT question while this is being discussed, any idea on how many T5M's were made for '98? were they rare?

Also you mention the M66, would this be able to be bolted on to the T5 fwd or is it only for AWD cars?
There are some numbers up on here from a correspondence someone had with Volvo NA. Specifically for the US market IIRC there were roughly 360 S70 T5 Ms in 1998 and 170 or so V70 T5 Ms.

99 and 00 had progressively less each year. The T5 M is not rare but probably uncommon. They were most common in 98 of the 3 model years.

In terms of the M66 - there are M66 transmissions made for FWD cars. Certain S60 T5 M (2006+) I believe used the FWD M66. S40/V50 T5 and T5 AWD used the M66 FWD and AWD respectively but I believe there are other issues with using gearboxes from those cars though I have no experience at all with that.

Certainly an M56 can be used and has been used if you don't mind losing the AWD and changing out the steering rack to the FWD

@MnOpRacInG: I don't think the OP has a cap, rotor and wires since it's a 99 R. Of course it's a good idea to check the condition of the plugs and coil packs though.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You can use a M66 in both FWD and AWD cars without problems. In fact, Volvo offers a version of the M66 in FWD only variants on the newer P1 (C30, S40, V50, C70) models.

EDIT: Just to clarify, FWD and AWD versions of the M66 are not interchangeable and are 2 different variants of the same basic transmission

·
Registered
1 Posts
correct me if im wrong but the volvo trannys themselves arent exclusively FWD or AWD, the m58 came on the fwd 850R in canada and the difference between that and a 56 was limited slip. you can take the vicous(sp) coupler of a v70r and put in a passenger side axle from a fwd car and eliminate AWD altogether

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
No unfortunately that's not true. The transmissions that are AWD are meant for AWD not FWD. The M58 is only an AWD transmission. They are made to accommodate the angle gear.

What you are thinking of is the M59 transmission which was not available in the U.S. That came on 96 and 97 850Rs and '98 V70R FWD and S70R. It has a special axle and Viscous coupler unit that acts as an LSD but that has nothing to do with AWD.

Are you located in Canada?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in the US. Boise idaho. And they have a 97 850m at a junk yard with a good tranny an was wondering if that would work for my car? Only problem is im not sure if its an awd

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The transmission from that 850 will fit your car, but your R will be permanently FWD if you swap in a M56 from a US-spec 850.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yea but he'll also need to swap out his current steering rack to one of the ones from a FWD. I think someone did a write-up on here or VS about going from an AWD V70R to a FWD using an M56.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I like the idea of the M66 S60R/V70R 6spd manual into a Gen 1. :)

Is there a detailed thread on what's needed?
Is there a tune created to accommodate the setup in a '99-'00? (assume Lucky or perhaps one of the european tuners do)
Is the '04-07 clutch setup used or is the euro 850R clutch and pressure plate used?
Are the inner hubs used from a Gen1 or do you keep the M66 hubs for the Gen 1 driveshafts?
Are propeller shaft changes needed?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Ask Lucky about a tune

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Is there a tune created to accommodate the setup in a '99-'00? (assume Lucky or perhaps one of the european tuners do)
Is the '04-07 clutch setup used or is the euro 850R clutch and pressure plate used?
Are the inner hubs used from a Gen1 or do you keep the M66 hubs for the Gen 1 driveshafts?
Chris,

Lucky can do tunes for the ME7 manual swaps and he says that he's got something even for a 2000 R which never had a manual anywhere so that's a good thing. MTE also has some sort of tune that one guy on here says works pretty well for the stock car but not so great with heavy mods.

The M66 needs to use either the S60R dual mass flywheel with S60R clutch (or aftermarket application for that setup) or the custom single mass that ViVA carries. If you use that single mass then you can use an 850R clutch or something along those lines.

The axles are a bit more complicated and it depends on what year Gen 1. Hussein has quite a lot of info on this in one of the threads that I think is pinned in this forum...http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?163864-98-00-AWD-Component-Parts-Listings

No prop shaft changes are needed. You are still using the same angle gear that is normally in the car.

Most things are bolt up but there is one motor mount bracket that needs to be custom made for the rear engine mount on the AWD cars. I think there are also some minor mods needed to where the shift cables attach on the transmission.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

There are a few. The best I've found are posted below the quote
Lucky or IPD/MTE can do it. Nick in Texas, who has a 00 R he swapped, has some issues with MTE adjusting their tune for his heavy mods, but his car has always been driveable with their tune.
P2R clutch with the dual mass flywheel, or you can convert to a single mass flywheel and use a single mass clutch. I don't believe the 850R clutch will work due to the difference in spline count on the later transmissions
Since your 00 XC has a 4 speed auto, you'll be alright with using your stock hubs and (I'm pretty sure) axles
No, all the AWD components function as originally intended.
Hussein's parts list and info thread on P2 R M66 swap: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/91903-m66-awd-in-98-v70-awd-xc/

Korruption used a P1 M66 and shifter in his 98 R: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/150885-v70r-reboot/page__st__40#entry2050797

Nick Choy's threads: http://v70r.com/forums/topic/16450-to-those-who-have-done-an-m66-conversion/
http://v70r.com/forums/topic/17552-let-the-games-begin/

A swap is something that is very high on my to-do list, just need to save up some more modification dollars :D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You can source an M66 from a 04-07 S60/V70 R, or a 2005-2009 S40/V50 AWD.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
As mentioned higher up in the thread you can also source a FWD M66 from the S60 T5 of certain model years.

If you are literally just swapping in a manual transmission to a '98 R then you can just use the stock ECU from a '98 T5 manual. Essentially the same specs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi everyone, I know this post is old but I noticed that manual transmissions for sale typically mention "for non turbo engines" is that some BS or is it serious? because they are (for example an M56) which has been said to be used successfully in a swap. if clearance is an issue with the exhaust, that is not a very big deal to me.

thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts