SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario: I'm driving in the right lane on the four lane Interstate and the car in front of me decides to pass a slower vehicle in front of it. The car in front of me moves over to the left lane and as it passes the other vehicle, it SLOWS down to ten to fifteen miles per hour BELOW the speed limit and barely faster than the car it is passing. It takes what seems forever for the car to accomplish the pass, finally get ahead, (hopefully) move back into the right lane, and speed up.

Is the driver:

A. Afraid that the act of passing might suck him/her into the other car unless speed is dropped?

B. So under the influence of some drug that anything over a snail's pace in passing is scary?

C. Is concerned that the driver of the car that he/she is passing might, out of the blue, decide to move into the left lane and therefore wants to go slow to be prepared?

When I pass on a four lane highway, I look all around (no BLIS), signal my intention, move into the left lane, accomplish the pass smartly, and when safely ahead, signal my intention and move back into the right lane.

As kids say today, "What up with this slow down while passing?"

p.s. - Sometimes the passing car is going so slowly that it stays next to the car it's passing for 30-40 seconds before finally moving ahead.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (madvolvo)

Not trying to be crass but you should have an option "D." Dumb driver who has little idea of whats going on around them.

I have also come across this many times. Once it took a driver at 60mph roughly two miles to complete the process of passing a slower moving vehicle on an interstate. I was quite livid but what do you do?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Quote, originally posted by madvolvo »

As kids say today, "What up with this slow down while passing?"

Whats up with this slow down while passing?

When I get to someone slow, I follow them closely for a bit, then keep an eye in the mirror, wait till I see a clearing, check the BLIS indicator, glance over the shoulder, tap the signal stalk to down (to do a 3 signal), then grab the wheel with the left hand, whip the right hand to the geartronic mode, do a quick double down tap, rev that 3.2, and VROOOMMM VOOSH past the guy and then go quite a bit past him to be sure I don't clip him, and go back into the lane.

When passing, you're doing it wrong if you're below 3,500 RPM's.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

Come to Nashville where we do not know how to merge and you will forget all about the slow passing. Priorities man, priorities!

·
Registered
418 Posts

I frequently use my cruise control, and many times when I come up on a slower car and move into the left lane to pass it, the driver SPEEDS UP! When I try to pass, I don't add any pressure to my gas pedal, I just maintain my speed with my cruise control, so I KNOW they are speeding up, and it makes me look like I am the one who has slowed down. Happens all the time! Very maddening. Maybe this type of behavior is related to what you are seeing. But if the "passer" slows as he goes by the "passee', then I don't have a clue what he is thinking.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (MAC1LSR)

Quote, originally posted by MAC1LSR »
I frequently use my cruise control, and many times when I come up on a slower car and move into the left lane to pass it, the driver SPEEDS UP! When I try to pass, I don't add any pressure to my gas pedal, I just maintain my speed with my cruise control, so I KNOW they are speeding up, and it makes me look like I am the one who has slowed down. Happens all the time! Very maddening. Maybe this type of behavior is related to what you are seeing. But if the "passer" slows as he goes by the "passee', then I don't have a clue what he is thinking.

Me too. I often just set the cruise so that I know my speed doesn't slowly start creeping past a comfortable cop speed unintentionally, so when I try to pass like that, people think "So you think I'm going slow and are trying to pass me, huh? I'll show you!", and then the speed up!

Thats why you should take a more aggressive stance to passing (especially when you're rockin' a T6!). Use that geartronic mode and feel that T6 torque! Don't be afraid of the gas pedal! hahaa. I know I'm a less mature driver
, and it would look bad for a 40 year old business man type of person to be flying by another car at 5K RPM's, but hey, its fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I notice this a lot with SUV and minivan drivers. I think it is a "herding instict."

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (ImInPA)

Thanks everyone for the good insights! "Herding instinct" amongst minivans...I like it!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (vivek9856)

I've had people I'm trying to pass speed up so much, I've actually had to go back into the right-hand lane and tuck back in behind them. Those jerk-offs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (MAC1LSR)

how about this scenario.. You guys ever had someone switch into your lane but then go slower than you are?? There's nothing i hate more than that!!
i usually don't mind if someone passes me up or cuts me off.. But they BETTER be going the same speed or faster. I don't get it.. Why move into the fast lane but not go as fast or faster than everyone else?! YOU'RE SLOWING EVERYONE ELSE DOWN!! When it does happen, i unleash the beast, and i let them hear the growl of my v8 as i roar past them and all they can see are my taillights hahaha
cheers!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (SwedeDriven)

+1 to that SwedeDriven. I hate that! People pull into your lane while you're going 70 and they crawl along at 55 and don't move! I tail them for a min, and if they really going slow (Like 20 below), I crank this up:

It is the heaviest bass song I know of - and without dynaudio, when I crank that up, the entire headliner in my car is flexing like 1", the rear and side view mirrors are vibrating, and my back is having the best massage ever!

Then roll the windows down, move to the lane on your right (if you are in the left most lane), then pull even with them, and give them the most gangsta look you possibly can (sit low in the seat, one hand on wheel, droopy eyes), then rev that engine and VOOSH past them and fly into their lane and go off past them.

But with me, they hear the sound of a struggling revving puny 3.2... Not a growly V8.

·
Registered
83 Posts

hahahahahahahahaha i like your style Vivek just blast then with some bass and bounce on them. Well you have the 3.2 takes less gas when you fly by them. My v8 drinks it like water haha But really tho.. I swear people do it to piss me off sometimes.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (SwedeDriven)

I think this phenomenon is mostly the result of ignorant/clueless drivers who are barely paying attention. Just when you think someone is out to get you (speeding up, slowing down, etc.) they are usually just not paying attention.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (Freeworld)

Do they have these kind of drivers on the Autobahn in Europe? What do those inattentive dolts do when someone comes up behind them in an S80 at around 140 mph?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Quote, originally posted by madvolvo »
Do they have these kind of drivers on the Autobahn in Europe? What do those inattentive dolts do when someone comes up behind them in an S80 at around 140 mph?

I can't speak for the autobahn but when I lived in England our level of driving skill was pretty high. It would be pretty routine to see cars travelling at 110mph or more. Lane discipline, regard for other drivers and driving etiquette are much higher.

Just now I saw a middle aged lady doing 52mph in the left lane of I495. She was completely oblivious to the line of vehicles behind here.

One of the problems here in the US is that the driving test is a joke and a pretty bad joke at that. It goes something like..."You have two eyes, two legs and two arms..OK heres your drivers license."

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (napster)

Quote, originally posted by napster »

One of the problems here in the US is that the driving test is a joke and a pretty bad joke at that. It goes something like..."You have two eyes, two legs and two arms..OK heres your drivers license."

Noo, it was more than that for me. I had to drive around a block once.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vivek9856 »

Noo, it was more than that for me. I had to drive around a block once.

In MD you don't even have to drive around the block. They have a mickey mouse course for you without one car of traffic on it. It is truly a joke.

As for the autobahn, they run you over! Lot's of flashing lights, etc. It is illegal (and enforced) and very dangerous to drive in the left lane there and not move over quickly. This is part of the reason they have less traffic jams.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (Freeworld)

I worked in Brussels BElgium back in the mid 80's. I saw, many times, drivers traveling too slow in the left lane getting pulled over and ticketed. Like so many things, here in the good ol' US of A, our police simply look for speeders, seemingly ignoring the horrible driving habits of so many on the road. The irony is that speed alone is not as dangerous as careless driving. It is rare that the woman or man obliviously driving below the speed limit while yapping on a cell phone is ever pulled over and ticketed. In Europe, the police are there to actually keep the roads safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts

If you live in Md, you get the best of all worlds. We have respectively:

1. The left lane riders. These are the morons who go around a corner, instantly pull into the left lane of a 2 or 3 lane highway and remain there, come hell or high water at exactly the speed limit or perhaps 2-3 mph above the speed limit. Rationale - I like that lane, I am going to make a left in 3-4 miles etc. etc.

2. The jerk in the right lane is going the speed limit or slightly less. The guy behind pulls out, begins to pass and is hypnotized by the car he is passing and so he goes the same speed for 2-3 miles so he can check out the babe in the car, the paint job, the stickers on the windows or who knows what else.

3. The "It's time for me to merge," at all costs. This is the guy who comes from one road using a ramp (exit or entrance) (it makes no difference). He has been doing 65 or he has been doing 30. It depends on exit or entrance. Coming around the corner on the ramp he has to do around 40. That means that he is going to come into your roadway at either 30 or 40. When he runs out of ramp, he pulls into your lane of travel. Reason: What the hell is wrong with me. He wants to get on my piece of road and I should be nice enough, smart enough or stupid enough to let him.

MD gives new emphasis to meaning of "defensive driving."

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Fellow S80 drivers - Help me understand this phenomenon (pubicdefender)

Yes, Public Defender. I was privileged to experience your Number Three today. This female in a white Infiniti G37 merges into my lane, right next to me and expects me to go over onto the "blanking" shoulder because it is her assumed right to merge anytime she wanted and everyone else (me in this case) be d****d.

It often seems that we live now in a country with diminishing intelligence, increasing rudeness, and non-existent common sense!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts