SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's such a thing as a break-in period; often around 6000 miles for a lot of vehicles. Perhaps that's still something that depends on where you live, driving conditions, etc. However I have to say that this vehicle at around 6700 miles is not the same vehicle I got day one. It is soooooo much better. I don't know what happened and I thought it was my imagination or I accidentally switched to dynamic mode (which would be really hard to do by accident anyway), but somewhere near 6700 miles the engine feels snappier with more pep in comfort (daily driving) and dynamic mode. It's not something that's marginal where I had to wonder did something change. It is very different and completely tangible. It does not feel like the same vehicle I've had up until this mileage and I am loving it.

Anyone else notice any difference like this as they've put miles on the vehicle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can’t say that I felt a change quite as drastic as you mention, but there was definitely a notable change around similar mileage for my T5. The engine revs easier, boost seems to come on stronger and more progressively with less of a jolt, suspension is pleasantly able to absorb minor road imperfections better, and a couple early mile interior rattles have rattled themselves away. I’ve broken in 5 new vehicles in my life, not a ton, but I agree this car had the most notable changes after some extended use. So far I’m a happy customer at 13,000 miles. Now...crossing my fingers I feel the same way 3 years down the road. Cheers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, I agree, 1st service performed at 7500 per dash light, and mileage is up and it's
so smooth and is very quiet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’ve only put 1000 on mine but the climate system seems to be performing better. I’ve discussed here how loud my climate was and a weird whistling it made at startup, but now the whistling has gone away and it seems to be less loud. still pretty loud, but less so (or I’m getting used to it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
So I took my 2019 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD in today for its 10k service. I've put about 6500 miles on it in the last 2.5 months.

And was given a loaner that is a 2020 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD with 107 miles on it.

The only difference between the two seems to be the interior and exterior colors and the tire/wheels.

The 2020 is much tighter and firm feeling while the 2019 feels like it's broken in like a well used and comfortable glove.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only issues I have with the climate system are these:

It comes on to cool components in/under/behind the dash it seems. I don't know what causes things to get so hot and I know an update helped this a bit as I know longer feel so much hot air coming through the vents to the point I can't touch the knobs for too long. Though form time to time this activity still happens.

The other issue is nobody has yet been able to find an answer as to why there is no flow-through air capability. I mentioned this on another thread. This is the only car I have ever had that has no option to truly vent the car without running the fan...meaning air just flows through and I should feel those air speeds depending on how fast I am moving. Not a major gripe, just something that is very odd to me. This is my first non-Japanese car so there's that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only rattles I get are from the rear cupholder when they're out; my kids leaving them out. I wish Volvo had thought of better sound dampening material for that. It's very annoying. Nothing more than a reach back and push it in the arm rest, but still I'd prefer that if it's left out I don't have to hear it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only issues I have with the climate system are these:

It comes on to cool components in/under/behind the dash it seems. I don't know what causes things to get so hot and I know an update helped this a bit as I know longer feel so much hot air coming through the vents to the point I can't touch the knobs for too long. Though form time to time this activity still happens.

The other issue is nobody has yet been able to find an answer as to why there is no flow-through air capability. I mentioned this on another thread. This is the only car I have ever had that has no option to truly vent the car without running the fan...meaning air just flows through and I should feel those air speeds depending on how fast I am moving. Not a major gripe, just something that is very odd to me. This is my first non-Japanese car so there's that.
Very few, if any, modern cars are like that.

They all have complicated ductwork, and more over, the air intake is placed out of the regular airstream to reduce unnecessary drag. If air is being forced in without the fan, then it's causing drag 100% of the time, which isn't ideal.

What's wrong with running the fan on its lowest setting?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing is wrong with using the fan. I guess I just sometimes don't run the A/C system and fans if/when I don't have to to save energy and fuel. Granted I don't know specifically where the energy is sourced for just running the fan without the A/C. Nothing too serious. It's just the first vehicle I've had that didn't allow this. I have a 2013 GS350 F Sport which allows this. I guess that's one of the few modern cars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nothing is wrong with using the fan. I guess I just sometimes don't run the A/C system and fans if/when I don't have to to save energy and fuel. Granted I don't know specifically where the energy is sourced for just running the fan without the A/C. Nothing too serious. It's just the first vehicle I've had that didn't allow this. I have a 2013 GS350 F Sport which allows this. I guess that's one of the few modern cars.
Running the blower uses a negligible amount of energy.

And a 2013 model, which has its roots in a much much older platform from Toyota, is hardly the most modern car. It's a nice car... Don't get my wrong. 😁 But not "modern" in the sense I mean.

The Volvo actually goes out of its way to close the dampers to prevent air from entering the cabin when the HVAC is turned completely off, such as when parked, or turned fully off while driving.

The Volvo also has quite a sophisticated climate control system, much more so than most people realize. Measuring outlet air temperature from several vents, adjusting for the position and intensity of the sun in the sky, regulating humidity, etc. It's designed to be left on. Kinda is what it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts