SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Re: Feedback on FMIC cores (Rangeball)

imo, ARC makes the best IC cores, but they are really expensive.

Intake - note the taper to allow more streamlined airflow.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
absolutely LOVE the yonaka.

for the $$, you can't beat it.

i have yet to feel some heat soak. we have had several days now with ~80 degree temps and the car never got sluggish.

sniz was right!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Feedback on FMIC cores (blot)

Thanks blot. I am trying to stay below $500 for the whole project. (Labor is relatively free). I budgeted around $300 for the core and these two cores seem to fit that price range.

Also looking for good quality cheaper couplers. The Samco ones I found are a little pricey.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rangeball »
Also looking for good quality cheaper couplers. The Samco ones I found are a little pricey.

I'm using Verocious Motorsports for the silcone hose needed for my custom CAI:

http://vertexnow.com/Verocious...one_2

The prices are pretty good and they seem to be of a high quality.

moddeR

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Feedback on FMIC cores (moddeR)

Quote, originally posted by moddeR »

I'm using Verocious Motorsports for the silcone hose needed for my custom CAI:

http://vertexnow.com/Verocious...one_2

The prices are pretty good and they seem to be of a high quality.

moddeR

Awesome! That will actually save me a good bit of $$. I can get a kit of five couplers with clamps and a reducer for all under $70!

The Yonaka does seem to be the better core but I thought the size of the SMS might be a better fit.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Awesome! That will actually save me a good bit of $$. I can get a kit of five couplers with clamps and a reducer for all under $70!

The Yonaka does seem to be the better core but I thought the size of the SMS might be a better fit.

I remember reading a big article on Intercoolers a while back... the Yonaka core seems to have the optimal shape for the end tanks, since they're rounded and smooth. No areas for the air to get trapped, unlike the SMS intercooler.

I'm still interested in seeing what you come up with! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Feedback on FMIC cores (legbend)

Good idea on the hump hoses.

Looks like the Yonaka is shaping up to be the winner.

Quick question on clamps. Which one to use?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »

i have yet to feel some heat soak. we have had several days now with ~80 degree temps and the car never got sluggish.

sniz was right!
Could you please post the part #/dimensions and where you bought the Yonaka. Thanks in advance, Rick

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts

Quick question on clamps. Which one to use?

do NOT use the crappy ones from a home improvement store. make sure they are strong. i recommend T-bolt clamps.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Mash)

Mash, it is posted in the first post. It is 22x9x3 and can be found on eBay for $230 plus $15 shipping. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

So T-bolts.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Re: (Mash)

Quote, originally posted by Mash »
Could you please post the part #/dimensions and where you bought the Yonaka. Thanks in advance, Rick

http://www.streetrays.com/cata...=5570

$235, always in stock.

i saw this same one on ebay for $181.00 but i didn't get it because I wanted to go through a company that had a SOLID reputation and return/refund policy.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I actually tried to order that one from Bone head. They didn't have any in stock and refunded my money.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Quote, originally posted by phuz »

sniz was right!

Yay!! Makes a world of difference doesn't it?

Now I have to look for an intercooler for my 335.........$$$$

I'm also approaching ATSPEED to look into custom downpipes.........

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (sniz)

Alright. Need help with a decision. The place where I was going to get a Yonaka core does not have any in stock that are not damaged. I also have an upcoming track event on June 16th. The next date where the place can get the Yonaka core is May 20th. So I would be cutting it close for shipping & install. I am thinking about going with the SMS. Should I just wait and pray?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Re: (Rangeball)

Alright. Need help with a decision. The place where I was going to get a Yonaka core does not have any in stock that are not damaged. I also have an upcoming track event on June 16th. The next date where the place can get the Yonaka core is May 20th. So I would be cutting it close for shipping & install. I am thinking about going with the SMS. Should I just wait and pray?

Thanks for the advice.

streetrays doesn't have any in?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: (Rangeball)

I am thinking about going with the SMS. Should I just wait and pray?

I have the SMS, it has good quality and it does fit right in the car's lower valance (CAI is a really tight fit and a restricted one), BUT I'm not 100% convinced on it's performance, not the way others say about the Yonaka.

When I have my data logger up and running, I'll check on Charge Air Temperatures and then decide whether to keep the SMS or change it.

I'd wait for the Yonaka and have everything ready for that install.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts