SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about come to my wits end with the front spoiler on my 2004 S60R with the sport package. The roads and driveways around Los Angeles are horrible for driving and I am constantly scratching my front spoiler no matter how careful I am. I also think someone backed into my car yesterday.

Does anyone have any recommedations? I like the styling, but I need more clearance so I can drive through an intersection without worrying about bottoming out. Any thoughts would be great!

Modified by Red_S60R at 4:03 PM 4-26-2006

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (Sue Esponte)

with the sport package...sorry...I reposted

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (Red_S60R)

You should put a lift kit on your S60R. Turn it into a 4x4.

I used to scrape my front spoiler too. I installed Evolve springs in the rear and I think it raised the front just enough, I don't scrape that much anymore. But I don't have the sport kit.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (steamboatsig)

i have the EVOLVE kit..which I think it ACTUALLY a bit *higher* than the sport kit.....not much...but more clearance....but it's still low...

just BE CAREFUL. there's not much you can do absent removing it or raising the car. that's just part of the drawback of having a sporty looking kit on your car.

just be glad you don't have some super low slammed Ferrari with a huge long nose...i've heard horror stories of exotics with low fenders/bumpers getting trashed on city streets...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (23109VC)

I was looking at the Evolve kit online. It looks amazing. I thought that with the shape of the one piece bumper versus the lip spoiler that it could give me more clearance. I agree with the low exotics...I wonder every day how all of these Ferrari's, etc. make it around LA with all of the uneven intersections, etc.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Red_S60R »
I agree with the low exotics...I wonder every day how all of these Ferrari's, etc. make it around LA with all of the uneven intersections, etc.

YUP that's why I don't own a Ferrari.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I also so another post regarding a replacement front spoiler from vivaperformance.com. Does anyone know anything about them? Is it essentially a stock replacement for the sport package front spoilers?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (23109VC)

My friends have some pretty sick exotic cars, Lambos, Ferrari's etc. The Lambo SV has an adjustable suspension that allows you to raise the car. So does my buddy's SL-55 AMG.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The client I am working at right now is in Irvine (rich-ville) and the president bought the F430 Ferrari when it was FIRST available in the US. I've seen him scrape so many times on the driveway into the office parking lot its not even funny. Having a long nose is bad for bumpers no matter where you are.

Heck I cant even park in my driveway because the entrance is so damn steep and the city refuses to let us fix it due to possible drainage issues. Idiots. So I pay $56/year to park on the street and get rained on

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Red_S60R »
I was looking at the Evolve kit online. It looks amazing. I thought that with the shape of the one piece bumper versus the lip spoiler that it could give me more clearance. I agree with the low exotics...I wonder every day how all of these Ferrari's, etc. make it around LA with all of the uneven intersections, etc.

The Evolve front end does have more ground clearance. It's a combination of not hanging as low, and not jutting as far forward.

So you trade the front spoiler aggravation for Evolve aggravation.

·
Registered
824 Posts

I have a 05 that is lowered with sportkit and drive from Irvine to my offices in Mid-Wilshire...no problem.

Maybe you just need to be aware of your surroundings.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Tekk)

I feel your pain regarding being able to park in my own driveway. My driveway is so steep my fiancee's XC90 is about the only thing that can drive in it without scraping. I fight for street parking every night. Another reason I'm a little annoyed with my front end.

I couldn't dream of not having the sport package (or similar) on it, though, because it attracts so much attention.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: (Red_S60R)

I agree, I can only make it in at a certain angle and end up at an odd angle in my garage.
But I love my car
It sucks I have to sell it.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I have the Evolve front spoiler. Scrapping was driving me crazy. Went to 19inch rims (Evolve H5s) with 245/35/19 PS2s (probably one size to large in hindsight) and 5mm spacers. Not nearly as many scrapes now. O/a diameter increased therefore ground clearance up by, I think 13mm. Looks awesome as well.
Only a little outside fender rub (internal plastic only so far).

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (LOTR)

Where are you getting your rub - inside or outside part of the wheel-well? In hindsight, what size tire is best for the 19" H5's in your opinion?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (Short Circuit)

I would try the 235/35/19. The rub with the 245s is on the outside of tyre - very minor, cant hear rub but have noticed plastic liner is wearing.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Re: Fed up with front spoiler--any thoughts (LOTR)

I believe the Evolve kit may be up to an inch higher in clearance than the Volvo Sport Kit.

·
Registered
326 Posts

I have had a similar problem, and one thing that worked often for me was if I was approaching an area where I had scraped before, I put the car in advaced. More than once, the added stiffness was enough to either significantly reduce the severity of any scraping, or eliminate it alltogether. I know it is annoying and not a permanant fix, but until you do find a remedy, give it a try if you haven't already.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts