SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a 10:30 time to "meet the new member of our family." We'll do lunch after, then take the tour. Approximately what time will we be able to leave the factory? (We'll be driving to Hamburg that night....)

Also, we come back to Gothenburg a few weeks later (via the Kiel ferry), and so we'll have about 6 hours to spend before we have to turn the car back in at FDC. Any ideas of what to do within Gothenburg area during that time?

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
You can leave the fdc whenever you want after you have your new Volvo, though I would suggest you take advantage of the *free lunch*. The tour starts @ 1:15 and ends @ 2:30.
When you return, there is a Volvo Museum that is interesting and there is always a stroll on the Avenue to enjoy as well as a boat tour of Gothenburg. http://www.stromma.se/en/GOTEBORG/Tours/Paddan/Boat-Tours/Paddan-Roundtour/

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I second a boat tour. And if your kids are still up to that - visit one of the best amusement parks in Sweden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liseberg

And if I can change your mind - take a ferry TO Kiel on your first day...do not underestimate the jet lag...You will be in Hamburg next morning, all fresh and rested...and money wise - you cannot get to Hamburg the same day if you leave after the factory tour, especially with kids (it is 8 to 10 hour drive, either way you go)...so the ferry ticket will be off-set by the hotel room and other shorter ferry rides that you would have to take...

Can you share your entire itinerary? We are good at giving free critics here on SS ;)

...but we speak from the vintage point of collective experience...I did OSD three times, and drove through Europe way more than once...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Unless you're really short on time and must get to Hamburg your first/second day, I recommend stopping near Copenhagen.

You don't want to be driving tired/jet lagged on the Autobahn; You will want to take the car to the limiter-speed of 130 MPH.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am probably being a bit ambitious with our plans to get to Germany. We arrive early in the day on Sunday, and will be heading to Lisenberg Park to entertain ourselves. After all, who can sleep on a roller coaster??? :) After getting some rest that night at Hotel Lisenberg Heden, we'll pick up the car. We don't "have" to be in Hamburg that day, but are going to the home of a foreign exchange student we hosted 2 years ago. So we don't have to worry about a place to stay, or how late we get there. Indeed, we'll spend 3 weeks in Germany visiting the families of all 3 exchange students we've hosted. We are taking the ferry on our return trip to Sweden. (reservations for that have been made already)

Overall, our trip will roughly be:
June 30--fly to Sweden (from Portland, OR)
July 1--land at Gothenburg
July 2--Pick up car, drive to Hamburg
around July 7 or 8, drive to Bonn
around July 12 drive to Munich
around July 16 back to Bonn
around July 19 back to Hamburg
July 23--ferry to Gothenburg
July 24--off ferry at 9am, self-tour of Gothenberg area (including Volvo Museum and possibly a boat tour as suggested above!)
July 24--drop off car, get transfer to Radisson (we saved our free night for the end so we can go home still feeling like royalty!)
July 25--fly back home

We have "local tourguides" in our foreign exchange students and their families, so we'll be doing day trips with them into France, Austria and Italy. Plus, we get a great tour of Germany! It is sure to be our trip of a lifetime--until we do the next OSD!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That should be a great trip. Have you been to Germany before?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife and I went to Germany for Christmas 2000. That was before we had kids of our own, and right after our first "kid" (exchange student) went home. It was a wonderful experience. This time we get a full 3.5 weeks, PLUS 3 excellent tour guides, and their wonderful families to take us in. Our kids call them their brothers and sister, so they are really looking forward to it also. (They were each born when the other 2 exchange students stayed with us.)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Then there is no need for me to offer advice on Germany... Good for you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then there is no need for me to offer advice on Germany... Good for you!
We are certainly blessed in that regard, as well as with the entire trip!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My wife and I went to Germany for Christmas 2000. That was before we had kids of our own, and right after our first "kid" (exchange student) went home. It was a wonderful experience. This time we get a full 3.5 weeks, PLUS 3 excellent tour guides, and their wonderful families to take us in. Our kids call them their brothers and sister, so they are really looking forward to it also. (They were each born when the other 2 exchange students stayed with us.)
Waiting for trip updates!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts