SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 V70 T-5 that has developed an annoying rattle that I once thought was a bad speaker, but now now its the faux wood trim pieces on the rear doors. They rattle even going over bumps. I can put just a little pressure on them and the rattle stops. How can I get these off to put more adhesive behind them?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you take the door panel off, they have "push nuts" on the back, which are like little finger washers that just slide over the plastic and bite into it. So unless the plastic is damaged, you should be able to just press down on them with a wrench socket, and it should tighten them up. <p>Otherwise, work them loose with a pliers and screwdriver, and the trim should come off for some double stick tape.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice. I pressed the push nuts back down with a pair of pliers and it appears to have done the trick.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here... Is the story the same for an '05 model? I also noticed my rear passenger side door has some wood trim that rattles. I think the only reason it bugs me is that it's the only thing that rattles in the whole car -- everything else is silent. If there was more stuff making noise I'd probably just say "meh" and let it go.

If I do have to take off the whole door panel to get at the wood trim, what's the panel removal process for the rear doors?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If it's not the same for an '05, it won't be much different, and it's actually quite easy. The round headed clips you see around the perimiter of the panel have a pin in the center, you push it in about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch to release the clip, then it comes out with slight prying. To reset these clips you push the pin out so it's sticking out of the head by about 1/4". Then you push the panel on and push it flush to lock it. There should be one screw head under a cover plate (pry to remove) in the hand grip area on the rear doors, and on the front doors the inner half of the handle pops off to reveal 2 screws. There might be one or two snap clips that you just pull the panel to release, I can't remember.

The door panel will be connected to the door handle by a cable mechanism, but there's just a snap clip to remove this so that the whole panel comes off in your hands.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks Lloyd, I'll give it a try next time I have some free time. I recall reading elsewhere that it's fairly impossible to remove the panel without some of the clips breaking -- is that true? If so, are the clips some standard clip I can find anywhere or is it a special Volvo clip?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The push pin clips are very re-usable, there's another bullet-type clip that breaks a lot, but if there are any on the door panels there's only one or two of them. I just can't remember.

You're thinking of the ones that are used heavily on the rocker trim and the tailgate panel, and they break like crazy. I just pulled as many good ones as I could find the last time I went to the junkyard, but they aren't expensive brand new straight from volvo as well. It might even be a standard clip you can get from autozone or something but I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts