SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rubber bushing on my top engine mount appears to rupture/break. It did this after 20 months and the dealer replaced it. I just noticed (after 15 months) that the rubber bushing is broken again. I have the forged aluminum engine mount with the rubber bushing insert. It is the type that IPD does not sell the aftermarket replacement for.<p>Can this bushing be replaced by me? I assume that I have to supprt the engine to remove the mount. Do I need a special tool to press out the bushing? SInce this bushing keeps failing, does this mena that the lower bushings are failing also?<p>Do others see the same problem?<p>NoCal V70RAWD<p>

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: Faulty Top Engine Mount ?? (NoCal V70RAWD)

yes you can replace the bushing yourself, all you need is a hack saw and about 45minutes and a couple wrenches/sockets. I did mine last night and the bushing housing on my aluminum bracket was PLASTIC, super easy to saw through. You saw just enough to go through the plastic housing, then stick a screwdriver in there and pry it out. IPD now makes a revised edition bushing for the newer cars with the aluminum bracket on the engine. They did this because the arm from the firewall to the bracket on some of the newer cars wasn't centered on the aluminum bracket, kinda offset, so they made another offset poly bushing. Look at your arm on your car though, I have a '99 S70 and the arm was centered in the bracket.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I just had a poly one put on my 98 v70XC two days ago. <p>my post from two days ago:<p>Just got my car back from the shop, new upper motor mount-new one is poly, not rubber however, backup light switch on transmission quiet working on the one position, so my halogen backup lights started to toast the rear lens and sockets, windshield wiper motor stops at odd locations on the glass, needs to be replaced i didn't do it, and lastly<br>a few years ago I had a IPD Sway bar put in. nothing but problems. the mechanic thinks the upper spring perches in the Macpherson (sp) strut assembles may be weak and need replacing. I have 69k on the Odo!<p>Not sure this car is a keeper into the 150k-200k milage range?<p>would apprecaite hearing feedback, others with similar problems/remedies. <br>_______<p>

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Re: Faulty Top Engine Mount ?? (dave g)

IPD makes a replacement bushing for the top engine mount with lifetime warranty. <A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsList.aspx?subSubCategoryID=593" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsList.aspx?subSubCategoryID=593</a>

·
Registered
244 Posts

IPD has the engine mount for the `99-`00 70 series. I just got mine a couple days ago and am waiting to install it this weekend. I believe they said they had 20 of the poly engine mounts left.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts