SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was a listing of Fastener, Threads (inch/metric) and Wrench sizes needed for various components of these Cars? I tried looking but didn't see anything. I'll take note whilst stripping down my 120 for my info.

Thanks,
Wayne Lee
Douglas, MA

66 120 (shameful dismantling)
67 220 (potential donor recipient)
69 P1800S

·
Registered
271 Posts
My '65 was a bit of a mongrel before it even came into my possession, so I have no idea what previous owners did, but while doing all sorts of work on my car I remember having to use:

7/16"
5/8"
3/8"
1/2"
1 1/4" (for the steering wheel nut)
10mm
13mm
14mm
17mm
19mm

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm fairly certain they used standard threads on these engines until at least the early-mid '70s. But as noted, previous owners probably used what was available to them at the time they needed to fix things, so you'll likely have a mix. At any rate, a basic set of metric and standard wrenches and sockets should be in everyone's toolbox ;)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
About the only things that are metric are those that say Bosch on them, and the fittings on hydraulic lines. The drive train, suspension and bodywork are all inch sizes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got nothing more than a standard set of sockets (metric/inch) and a piss-poor selection of wrenches, and I've taken nearly every bolt on my '66 car out.
Mike

·
Registered
550 Posts
So far the hood lock is the only place I ran into metric 10mm fasteners on my 66 wagon. That was a replacement from who knows what.
The B20 I just put in was an 8 bolt crank aq130 boat engine with metric threads only on the bell housing flange. (has 6 bolt guts now)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got nothing more than a standard set of sockets (metric/inch) and a piss-poor selection of wrenches, and I've taken nearly every bolt on my '66 car out.
Mike
the only sockets I've had to buy separately because they didn't come with my bog-standard Harbor Freight set were the 1 1/4" for the steering wheel, the one for the oil drain plug (forgot the size now) and the one for the spark plugs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I believe it's a 1 inch wrench for the selinoid on the J type over drive. Buy a cheap one because it needs to be thinned down with a grinder to fit.
The cheap tool store in town had a set of open/boxed wrenches for like 20 bucks. Go slow and dip in water so you don't ruin whatever heat treatment those cheap things have. :)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I guess the only other monster nut is the rear brake drum nut that holds it to the axle, but you'll also need to track down a drum puller while sourcing the socket at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Camshaft nut is bigger. :D 1 7/16", almost identical to 36mm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Camshaft Nut is definitely inch pattern though right? 36 mm is .020" shy of 1 7/16". Camshaft has an inch standard thread and nut measures a fractional dimension across flats? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Yes, it is inch (SAE) but the 36mm socket fits perfectly. The tolerance is different so the delta is actually less than .020". Also, being a touch tighter is actually a good thing. The 36mm socket is surprisingly common and can be found individually. The 1 7/16", not so much.

Funny story. I have had a 36mm socket in my toolbox since forever because of that cam nut. When confronted with the hex head oil filter cap on my V50, I discovered I had just the tool! :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, 11 mm and 14 mm also are tighter fits in place of 7/16 and 9/16 when they fit and negate the clearance. 6 point Sockets are good especially when they're being used on hexes that have been beaten up by slipping 12 points and open ends as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts