SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for the weak of heart for sure, but stumbled on this and even if you're not a software type, you get a sense very quickly (see slide 11) for how complex the systems are on the XC90. It certainly can help to understand when a subsystem goes haywire, its quite a big deal to figure it all out.... and frankly makes me be VERY careful about running into the dealer every time there is an update before its fully real-world tested....Lastly, it clearly illustrates the need for more software savvy techs at dealers. Take a look! (link will download a pdf)

http://bit.ly/1OahqQ4

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks a bunch, really insightful. And yes, cars (and what not?) all become more and more software then anything else.

Also nice to see they are adopting agile software development, hope it allows them to provide us with quick, reliable and continuously improving new versions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very interesting...as a software architect I appreciate the scale and complexity of the cats they are trying to corral. I'd suggest its just a little more complex than building an iPhone and they are likely doing it with a *much* smaller team.

It brings to question if all this is sustainable long term for each car manufacturer as tech gets more pervasive and more complex (and our expectations get set higher and higher)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Cool - thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Very interesting...as a software architect I appreciate the scale and complexity of the cats they are trying to corral. I'd suggest its just a little more complex than building an iPhone and they are likely doing it with a *much* smaller team.

It brings to question if all this is sustainable long term for each car manufacturer as tech gets more pervasive and more complex (and our expectations get set higher and higher)
More boxes in diagram means more complex but does not necessarily mean difficulty or compromise of robustness. It is far from complexity within iPhone CPU/GPU and chip sets, just more distributed within the car. Distributed controllers are not rocket technology and can be built robustly. It is not beyond human capability. :) Good engineering can solve the problem. For example, for the OS used in cars, QNX is much more reliable than other OSs. Not sure what is the main OS used in XC90 though.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Page 11 says it all. This is exactly why I have speculated it can take so long for a bug to show up and why some experience it and other's don't -- the circumstances which can generate it can be so specific to a particular sequence of user events that predicting and replicating it is almost impossible.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Page 11 says it all. This is exactly why I have speculated it can take so long for a bug to show up and why some experience it and other's don't -- the circumstances which can generate it can be so specific to a particular sequence of user events that predicting and replicating it is almost impossible.
It's going to be interesting to see how they treat the increase in service visits for things such as a Wiper Malfunction message. I had that message pop up and persist, and I'm not sure if I'd go into service just to have it looked at, because the wipers seemed to work fine.. But I am sure that a lot of people would go in just for this. When i brought the car in for something else, they were able to clear some codes and the message went away, but I can imagine a large influx of service appointments created just to clear an error message. They aren't going to tell a customer "no" to a service visit just because it's some measly error message. I hope that Volvo can continue to figure out how to minimize these.

As of right now, there is only *one* Volvo engineer assigned to my region to tackle the 'larger' issues, and I'm in the DFW metroplex, which I imagine is a pretty hefty region. As I mentioned previously, I dropped my car off on Tuesday 7:30am for the second water leak, and the engineer has been stuck at another dealership so he/she hasn't even been able to look at it as of Friday 7:30am. I just can't imagine that they will not have to increase manpower to facilitate the increase in service visits that I see as a necessary evil with this crazily complex software.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is the future and autonomous cars will be around the corner before we know it. It is going to get even more complex. Cars aren't the mechanical beasts they were before, now they're a PC/Smatphone/Tablet on wheels !!!! ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's why I wait to update my iPhone OS until that particular release has been out a while.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
This is the future and autonomous cars will be around the corner before we know it. It is going to get even more complex. Cars aren't the mechanical beasts they were before, now they're a PC/Smatphone/Tablet on wheels !!!! ;)
Yes, they are. In as much the same way that airplanes evolved...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes, they are. In as much the same way that airplanes evolved...
Or trucks right?

I recall reading a post in a different thread from a tech who works for Volvo trucks and he was describing how much software exists in Truck cabs nowadays. I imagine Volvo's experience building large trucks is what's allowed it to leap so deeply into the tech pool with the SPA platform leaving companies like Toyota and Honda that pump out so much more volume per year behind.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Or trucks right?

I recall reading a post in a different thread from a tech who works for Volvo trucks and he was describing how much software exists in Truck cabs nowadays. I imagine Volvo's experience building large trucks is what's allowed it to leap so deeply into the tech pool with the SPA platform leaving companies like Toyota and Honda that pump out so much more volume per year behind.
Except the Volvo truck and car companies separated in 1999.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Or trucks right?

I think it might have been me you were referring to. Volvo cars and trucks have split in 1999 but pretty much all cars and trucks Volvo or otherwise use type of network can / van / jbus. system as the underlying network to connect all the various control cpu's. The only difference now is he amount of controllers going into the car, yes it makes it more complex but at the same time each controller is doing a very specific job so technically it should reduce hunting down issues in the system.
Nice to see were in the same neck of the woods .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts