SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello R Forum,
Traded my V70R in for a GTI. Couldn't pass up 0% financing and a great deal on a 2012 version of one of my favorite cars. Will miss my R and the great enthusiasts here.
FYI, I've got a fresh 18" Enkei Ammodo and RE9070AS package for sale in the Wheel and Tire classifieds.
Cheers,
R Driver

·
Registered
998 Posts
You gave up a 300hp AWD wagon for a 200hp FWD hatch? :screwy:

I drove my buddys' GTIs (Mk5 & Mk6) and tho it's a nice car, the interior plastics, audio quality, and engine power loses hands down to the R cars... The only thing I commend it for? The handling and weight. Nothing more.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Need to be favorite car, some people doesnt like the GTI´s, some other collect them, i have a couple of costumers that has all gen in their garage since the car touched the market( i have built 500 hp gti´s for them), great car, but for my taste Volvo S60R is much more car, maybe without the vw gti background. Here in my town you can see GTI´s like they sold it as a gift on the supermarket, S60R just a few.

Anyway, enjoy your new car!!.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You gave up a 300hp AWD wagon for a 200hp FWD hatch? :screwy:

I drove my buddys' GTIs (Mk5 & Mk6) and tho it's a nice car, the interior plastics, audio quality, and engine power loses hands down to the R cars... The only thing I commend it for? The handling and weight. Nothing more.
Should have gone with the Golf R, and the latest version, although a nice car, still doesn't compete very well with my '07 V70R. Damn, I wish Volvo would sell a V60 T5R in North America!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Financial management decision. Cash from V70R used to eliminate credit card balance.
No question about it, I wish I was able to keep my R. A GTI is simply a regrettable, but balanced compromise.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Financial management decision. Cash from V70R used to eliminate credit card balance.
No question about it, I wish I was able to keep my R. A GTI is simply a regrettable, but balanced compromise.
you gotta do what you gotta do! congrats on the Vdub.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Shrewd move. I think the economy will have a double dip after the election, regardless of who wins.

What were the specs of your VR?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Golf R = winning. 08 R32 = winning more...GTI...not so much.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Golf R = winning. 08 R32 = winning more...GTI...not so much.
He already mentioned he did it for financial reasons; Golf R and R32 cost a bit more than the standard GTI. Maybe something reliable, under warranty and has some good looks played in the role of the GTI decision. IDK, just a guess.

The new Golf R is very nice though, saw a few already, too small for me though.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
they probably dont do 0% on the halo models either....Ford never did.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Get the APR tune on there and you'll be doing just fine.

Did you go 6M or DSG??

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
With some bolt ons, and a tune......... And I bet a lot of you would retract your statment.
A lot of fun hell of a good ride.
And it's a hot hatch... So fun to drive stock.

Good job on the switch old friend

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey, my first new car was a (Pennsylvania-built) 1987 VW GTI 16V. I had a lot of fun with that car over 220,000 kms. Did some of my fastest-ever trips (the intake plenum had an annoying resonance at legal highway speeds that smoothed out nicely over 150 km/hr) and got invited to speak to a judge based on points (it was bright red and attracted a lot of enforcement attention.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts