SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a 2004 XC90 T5.

I bought the XC90 not too long ago and noticed the engine fan is always on while the car is running. I didn't think anything of it until I started doing some research. I found out that one cause of this would be having low freon pressure in the AC.

The car was in a minor front end bump that I fixed otherwise with the exception of the broken condenser.

So here is my question, is there any way I could jump a terminal or do something to trick it into not running the fan all the time?

I'm also curious if I could burn out the fan driving the car in the meantime?

·
Registered
841 Posts
It is a 2 or 3 speed fan - but should not be on with a cold engine and the ac off. The easiest test would be connect the car to VIDA or an appropriate scan tool - from there you can manually turn fan on and off - see what signal is being sent to the fan, and check for related codes. Low freon does not make the fan run, the fan will turn on if the freon pressure is high enough.

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
355 Posts
Fan running all the time can also be a failed coolant temp sensor. Best to check VIDA for codes before making assumptions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the VIDA a Volvo specific scan tool and do I need it to accurately read codes?

The car does have a CEL which I scanned at an autocrats store as a p01111 - for an intake air temp sensor.

Could this cause the fan to always be on? I found that this car had the IAT in the MAP on the drivers side of the intercooler. I will be replacing this soon.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Is the VIDA a Volvo specific scan tool and do I need it to accurately read codes?
The car does have a CEL a p01111 - for an intake air temp sensor.
Could this cause the fan to always be on?
I will be replacing this soon.
Vida is the factory service manual. It also can scan every control unit on the car. The stolen and hacked version 2014d is found easily on the internet. The software will do everything needed on a Volvo thru the 2015.5 model year other than software downloads. You will need a DICE unit to interface between the car and the PC you have VIDA installed on. It is the best choice to read/diagnose/research/repair/understand your car. IMHO
There are plenty of other quality scan tools out there - but may cost more and give you less info than the cost of a DICE unit (and an old win7 pro CPU or laptop to install VIDA on)

Intake air sensor code will probably not cause the fan to run - have you tried simply erasing the code and see if the fan is fixed, and if so how long it lakes for the code to come back?

Why will you be replacing "this" soon? Have you definitively diagnosed "this" as a problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts