SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... I've owned my XC90 Inscription with all the packages except the Air suspension for about three weeks and have already put over 1000 miles on it. It's primarily my wife's vehicle but we LOVE it. Over the past few days, we've experienced two City Safe false alarms and am curious if anyone has encountered this. My previous vehicle was a 2011.5 XC60 and have never once experienced a false positive with City Safe in my 4 years of ownership.

The first alarm took place this weekend when I a following a car that was slowing down to make a right into a shopping center. I was planning to turn right as well and must admit I was driving a bit fast but in control. As the car was about to turn right, City Safety's alert flashed on the HUD and alerts range as the I felt the brakes begin engaging. I applied the brake at this point and felt the brakes pulsate (auto brake). I felt there was sufficient space between the car in front me and my XC90 but assumed because I was driving a bit aggressively and was not braking quick enough, it engaged to prevent a potential accident had I not braked soon enough. Thought nothing more of this particular incident.

Today, my wife and three kids were in XC90 and she was traveling down a one way road with two lanes at approximately 30mph. She was approaching an intersection on the right side lane when the light just turned green. There was a vehicle on the left side lane stopped and preparing to turn left. Just as my wife was about to pass the vehicle on the left lane... City Safety activated and slammed the brakes but did not fully stop the car... only slowing it down. All the seat belt pretensions pulled her and the kids tightly to the seats and she proceeded to cross the intersection but was only able to loosen the seatbelts after pressing and releasing the brakes. She and the kids were shaken by this incident and suspects the Volvo thought the car on the left lane was in her path. She states that the other vehicle was in its own lane and she was in her own lane and her steering wheel was pointed straight ahead. Having loved our previous XC60 and not experiencing anything like this before... she's a bit shaken and concerned that the XC90 is exhibiting too many fake alarms. Fortunately there was no car behind her during this time.

I've read several reviews where the testers commented false alarms with the City Safe Auto braking... I don't ever recall this with any of the review's I've read with the XC60s. Is anyone experiencing this as well? Is this worth a visit to the dealer? I'd love to hear everyone's thought. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yep, this is consistent with what I have reported -- very similar to some of the occasions it has activated for me too. It does not like you passing cars stopped to either side of you. They need to refine the logic of the system bit or give drivers not comfortable with its overly conservative approach to disengage it.

BTW, I've noticed the ACC often brakes under the same conditions and I have gotten in the habit of manually accelerating to compensate for it when it comes to virtual stops as I pass cars turning on either side of me but not directly blocking me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My false alarms in the XC90 are documented on the forum and there have been a few. On a side note, the XC60 loaner that I had for a week and a half until today gave me a handful of false alarms, today it actually applied the brakes unnecessarily. I never drove it in rain and so I never got to find out if water splashing onto the front of the car activated a false alarm like what happened in the 90, but I still had issues nonetheless!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm quite happy with City Safety feature on my XC90. I did more than 20k miles and it saved me few times. You can disable or tweak it (only warning, auto-breaking etc.) a little bit if that's a problem for you/your wife. Car it's trying to predict dangerous situation which is not an easy tasks where there is a lot of variables (weather conditions, other cars with their speed, pedestrians etc.). I prefer to have system will give me a warning 10 false alarms then 1 too less.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I believe you can adjust it in car settings to come on earlier or later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe you can adjust it in car settings to come on earlier or later.

This is alarming to me for people to experience false alarms... On the busy streets of nyc this could lead to people rear ending you...anyway to fully turn it off? I still haven't taken delivery of my xc90. (Shows port status currently) This get me very worried since my wife and kids will be using this daily

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is alarming to me for people to experience false alarms... On the busy streets of nyc this could lead to people rear ending you...anyway to fully turn it off? I still haven't taken delivery of my xc90. (Shows port status currently) This get me very worried since my wife and kids will be using this daily
Besides the audible/visual alarms that can be scary, the biggest issues that I have had with it has involved the automatic braking when it has applied full brakes and slammed the car to a stop when it clearly hasn't needed to. Most of the time I was behind cars going 30 mph, they decide to be a jerk and take a right quickly without using a signal, and normally I would just tap on the brakes and remain a short distance behind the car before it makes the turn. The plan has gone well until my car slams on the brakes anticipating a collision when there clearly was never going to be one. That might be something that occurs with every manufacturer's auto braking collision detection, I do not know. Either way, if someone was following close behind me I probably would have been rear ended. So in normal driving it is usually fine, until an instance like that comes up, where I have found that it can be overly intrusive and "guess wrong" if you will.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The system is more cautious than most drivers, I wouldn't call that a false alarm, it is more a difference of opinion;). I don't believe it can be defeated completely and I don't believe there's a big demand for that particular request, just my two cents. Like Jason (citivas), I've adjusted to it by either manually accelerating or slightly steering around vehicles turning in front of me. I've also reduced my assertiveness as a driver, it seems to keep her from getting nervous.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The system is more cautious than most drivers, I wouldn't call that a false alarm, it is more a difference of opinion;). I don't believe it can be defeated completely and I don't believe there's a big demand for that particular request, just my two cents. Like Jason (citivas), I've adjusted to it by either manually accelerating or slightly steering around vehicles turning in front of me. I've also reduced my assertiveness as a driver, it seems to keep her from getting nervous.
Yes, I agree, the braking is more of an "opinion", however the false auditory/visual alarms when no one is around or when water splashes onto the car is what has gotten to me a bit!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yes, I agree, the braking is more of an "opinion", however the false auditory/visual alarms when no one is around or when water splashes onto the car is what has gotten to me a bit!
I have the distance alert turned off so maybe that's why I haven't noticed that. In my opinion, the distance alert is the perfect example of a nuisance alarm. I found it warning me of things that I was acutely aware of. Have you tried driving with it off? I normally don't like bypassing safety systems but being that the auto braking system is still active, I don't mind turning off distance alert.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Haha. Yeah, what some are describing as a bug, my wife would describe as a highly desirable feature. Anything that can force me to become a more cautious and less aggressive driver (besides her nagging) would be welcome in her mind!

But more seriously, aren't there settings in Sensus that allow you to set when the safety systems kick in? Early or Late or some such?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Haha. Yeah, what some are describing as a bug, my wife would describe as a highly desirable feature. Anything that can force me to become a more cautious and less aggressive driver (besides her nagging) would be welcome in her mind!

But more seriously, aren't there settings in Sensus that allow you to set when the safety systems kick in? Early or Late or some such?
No false alarms, but one real alarm when the car in front of me suddenly braked. I've driven past cars in adjacent left and right lanes, including those making turns, hundreds of times. I have my system set to come on early.

It's hard to tell of the XC 90 detected something unrelated to the primary focus of a driver.

I love the system.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
One GOOD effect of auto-braking systems is that they will eventually force drivers to KEEP CLEAR of cars in front! Cars in Europe had “Power Brakes” rear stickers years ago. Maybe something similar would be useful on cars with auto-braking until the slow learners catch up, or hang back…

·
Registered
602 Posts
One GOOD effect of auto-braking systems is that they will eventually force drivers to KEEP CLEAR of cars in front! Cars in Europe had “Power Brakes” rear stickers years ago. Maybe something similar would be useful on cars with auto-braking until the slow learners catch up, or hang back…
I had a customer who complained the parking sensor screen kept coming up when she was waiting at lights. Had her show me how she pulled up to car in front. She was 1 foot away from them... :facepalm: Some people need to learn to drive.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Good luck with that in the NYC tunnel commute.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had a customer who complained the parking sensor screen kept coming up when she was waiting at lights. Had her show me how she pulled up to car in front. She was 1 foot away from them... :facepalm: Some people need to learn to drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
cant agree anymore, the system is too sensitivity.
with 4 months of driving experience on the new 90, i had more than 5 alarms and auto stop

however, in case of accident happens, the 0.5 second can always save a life.
so i just keep the way 90 is, and love it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Good luck with that in the NYC tunnel commute.
Even New Yorkers will learn eventually, though I agree they may be the last. What Winston Churchill said of Americans in general applies particularly to New Yorkers, they'll eventually do the right thing, after exhausting all other possibilities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts