SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm trying to get everything down in writing for my FMIC plan just so it's a little more organized and I can bounce ideas off you guys.

So the masterplan is to do the following all during a 3day weekend, since we'd be ripping the front end of the car apart anyways...

1. FMIC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11060899192...XX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_3776wt_891
2. Custom charge pipe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Silico...Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_3429wt_891
+ http://www.allpurposepipes.com/prod...d=260&osCsid=3c67724ebe3420873f637fc35829759a [can be welded on if necessary, which would be done ahead of time]
3. Two air temp ports to get fmic in/out temps http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...d=500&osCsid=0a36531cd2ef178639f063904033965e
I had found on ebay aluminum piping with the ports built in but now I can't refind it :( This would be just as cheap though and probably easier on space requirements
4. Dual air temp gauge
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Interc..._Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_626wt_891
5. Silicone radiator hoses
http://www.vivaperformance.com/silicone-radiator-coolant-hose-kit-s60-v70-s80/ [gotta keep George in business ;) Also will be good to do a coolant flush as I haven't done one yet and to inspect the radiator for damage/cracks that might be developing]
6. Passenger CAI [good time because we can easily route around the FMIC with the bumper off]

The biggest hurdles to this are the AC dryer on my 04 R, which I've heard makes the job a PITA compared to 05-07, and the clamp for my turbo which is unique to 04-05 R's. The html-linked flange will work, but I'm not sure if I'll have to weld it or not. If anyone in the DC area knows of a good machine/welding shop that would do a full charge pipe for me for a decent price, let me know :D

I plan on putting the guage in either a fitzy pod or an a-pillar pod. I like gauges. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they're cool so dont judge me! ;) However, their installation at the same time is not necessarily going to happen as I might not have my pods ready. However, installing the sensor ports is the most important thing for this job.

So all that said, do you guys have any advice or recommendations for parts or methods of doing these jobs? Anything I'm missing? I'm not looking to do meth/water injection quite yet. Also, would this be the ideal time to put in a catch can and/or intake manifold spacer?? I mean, it seems like most of the work is already done anyways :D Also considering hitting up psw3081 for a high flow intake manifold, but that would set me back a few months for funding purposes.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Looks good, Expensive but good :)

Good luck my friend.

Is doing a custom CAP really worth it?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Also give Mandrel Bending Solutions a call. They are in Pasadena, MD and do great metal/welding work for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good, Expensive but good :)

Good luck my friend.

Is doing a custom CAP really worth it?
Well, it will be worth it for the fact of me not wanting to rerotate my turbo housing cause that's a real pain the butt. Right now I'm running my charge pipe sans the brackets because the housing is tilted a little towards the front of the car, which keeps it from clamping down while the brackets were on. And it's really pissing me off cause I had just painted the brackets a sexy cobalt blue! And the pipe rattles a bit around 1500 rpms cause it touches the hardline a little. More annoying cause it was self inflicted than anything. I'm not hurting the car. I'll probably do the charge pipe here soon because it'll be the easiest to do and I can just line things up like the stock one.

It's actually a lot cheaper than the IPD or Viva route for the FMIC. In fact, all things totalled together is about as much as the Viva FMIC kit costs. Kind of puts things into perspective :D

ions, I figured you'd be coming over to help install it. We can put a FMIC on yours too as I'm sure it's easier the second time ;) I'll probably be doing this the next time I down rmorse's way...money and schedule depending of course. And thanks for the MBS link. I'll shoot them an email and see if they can give me a ballpark figure. Otherwise I'll hit up my friend to see if he can do aluminum welding for me.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See anything in the box of left overs from my install you want?

I'm guessing you don't offer free shipping like eBay does though ;)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Well, it will be worth it for the fact of me not wanting to rerotate my turbo housing cause that's a real pain the butt. Right now I'm running my charge pipe sans the brackets because the housing is tilted a little towards the front of the car, which keeps it from clamping down while the brackets were on. And it's really pissing me off cause I had just painted the brackets a sexy cobalt blue! And the pipe rattles a bit around 1500 rpms cause it touches the hardline a little. More annoying cause it was self inflicted than anything. I'm not hurting the car. I'll probably do the charge pipe here soon because it'll be the easiest to do and I can just line things up like the stock one.

It's actually a lot cheaper than the IPD or Viva route for the FMIC. In fact, all things totalled together is about as much as the Viva FMIC kit costs. Kind of puts things into perspective :D

ions, I figured you'd be coming over to help install it. We can put a FMIC on yours too as I'm sure it's easier the second time ;) I'll probably be doing this the next time I down rmorse's way...money and schedule depending of course. And thanks for the MBS link. I'll shoot them an email and see if they can give me a ballpark figure. Otherwise I'll hit up my friend to see if he can do aluminum welding for me.
I'm saving money to fix/buy a new transmission :D I can't be spending money on little things at the moment. Once I get my transmission problems fixed I'll have more spending money on mods no doubt. Depending on work/car I could come down for moral support :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol I have a credit card thanks :D I only use it for medical emergencies as I don't wanna be in debt like most of America.
+10000000000

One of the best lessons my folks taught me was never spend more than you pay for in a month [not counting emergencies, of course], and if you can, pay cash!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
+10000000000

One of the best lessons my folks taught me was never spend more than you pay for in a month [not counting emergencies, of course], and if you can, pay cash!
+10000000000

Same with my folks. "Live within your means" Most of my friends have been in debt/filed for bankruptcy cause of credit cards and living beyond their income. Most of them still live at home cause of this. I have never been in debt, Have an almost perfect FICO score and payoff things within my income. I don't just go buying things I don't need at any given moment with a credit card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts