SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with a price estimate of my R design?

I purchased this car new December 2012. It's black sapphire metallic. Doesn't have any of the add on packages. It currently has 40,800 miles and is still under factory warranty. All servicing has been done by the dealer. It has a few faint scratches and parking lot dings, rims have light scratches on the outside edge courtesy of roads that are never repaired downtown. It's never been in an accident.
I love the car but my 2 year old doesn't fit so well in the back with his car seat now that he has to face forward. We already bought an SUV for size and I need to sell my volvo. KBB listed it at 24k private party and 22k trade in. Obviously dealers came in WAY below those numbers. One dealer offering as low as $14k while most others in the range of $18.5k We then took it to carmax where we got an offer of $20k with every catagory marked "good".

My friend told me I should sell it privately and also list it here. I tried searching for similar cars to see what they sell for but haven't been very successful with that. Can anyone give an estimate of value? Should I take the carmax offer and be done with it? Or is it worth more selling private?

I'll try to get some pictures up but it's filthy from the rain we just had.
Car is located in Los Angeles.
Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
You will always get more money, in most cases, selling your vehicle privately. Spend an hour or so and clean the car up nice, take some good pictures and make an ad for craigslist. You can also post it for sale in the classifieds section of the forum. In regards to pricing, start at book value and people can make you offers from there, or, just start at a price you feel the car is worth. Carmax's offer isn't too bad though. Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
our cars are worth sh#$ these days,

i serously watched my car loose about 500.00 a month in value this year, about a 7k loss in a year

pretty bad compared to some other luxury brands are holding there value,

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I would take the $20k from CarMax. You may be able to get $24k Private Party, but who knows how long it will take, and its losing value every day, plus your time to meet with people who are just kicking the tires. Also consider most people do not have that kind of cash laying around, so your going to be dealing with some kind of bank, and theres the risk of fraud with that. Too bad you didnt trade it when buying the SUV, most states dont charge sales tax on the trade in portion.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Give Cars.com a try. I've sold several Volvos and a couple of Hondas this way. Each time took less than a month or so. Most time spent is with people who email and want more pictures or details. In the end only one or two people actually wanted to see and drive the cars and usually one would buy. Some were complete cash deals others were bank loans. No fraud worries if you meet them at their bank and get a check from the bank employee. Each time I sold I made more than what I anticipated but in the end its all about how you price the car. The car is not worth as much as YOU think it is, its worth what the market will bear. Pay for a Carmax report and have that handy as all will want to see it. Create a Bill of Sale document as well for your records (and for your protection) Always meet in parking lots in very public places and have company with you. Most people attracted to Volvos are good honest people but it only takes one that is not. Good Luck.

·
Registered
426 Posts
s6013 is correct, you only pay difference in taxes on the new car less trade in which could be a few thoursand there alone,

also dealing with tire kickers and low ballers is a pain,
Good point! Though his savings are more like in the hundreds. If the sales tax rate is 9-10%, on a ~$18K he would've saved about $1800, which is still considerable.

n

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. Unfortunately it seems California does not have any sort of tax credit for trade-ins. I guess I'll try selling it privately for a bit then kick it on over to carmax if I have to. Sucks these things don't hold value, it really is a great car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can anyone help with a price estimate of my R design?

I purchased this car new December 2012. It's black sapphire metallic. Doesn't have any of the add on packages. It currently has 40,800 miles and is still under factory warranty. All servicing has been done by the dealer. It has a few faint scratches and parking lot dings, rims have light scratches on the outside edge courtesy of roads that are never repaired downtown. It's never been in an accident.
I love the car but my 2 year old doesn't fit so well in the back with his car seat now that he has to face forward. We already bought an SUV for size and I need to sell my volvo. KBB listed it at 24k private party and 22k trade in. Obviously dealers came in WAY below those numbers. One dealer offering as low as $14k while most others in the range of $18.5k We then took it to carmax where we got an offer of $20k with every catagory marked "good".

My friend told me I should sell it privately and also list it here. I tried searching for similar cars to see what they sell for but haven't been very successful with that. Can anyone give an estimate of value? Should I take the carmax offer and be done with it? Or is it worth more selling private?

I'll try to get some pictures up but it's filthy from the rain we just had.
Car is located in Los Angeles.
Thanks
Just for reference I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2013 R-Design in perfect condition with 25k miles on it for $25k + TTL last week. I'd take the $20k Carmax is offering thats a good "cash" offer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts