SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post. Done lusting after an R and ready to buy my first Volvo, used.

In discussion with a Ford dealer in LA. They will sell S60R (link below says 2.5, but it is an R) for $20K. Also includes a Ford ESP plan for 3 years. Can a Ford ESP plan be applied to a Volvo? Is it worth the $2K they claim its worth?

Am I being duped? Car is one owner, less than 12K miles per year and nearly flawless, at least cosmetically.

Thanks, -Joe

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...VOLVO

·
Registered
404 Posts
Re: Fair Deal on MY05 S60R w/48K miles? (JD Mack)

You need an exact copy of the Extended service plan contract to see what its worth. Angle gears fail quite often, so see if it covers awd components. If you can get the phone number for customer service, call them and ask specifically what it does not cover.

The service plan bears fords name, but that doesnt mean it wont be honored by a volvo dealer. The way it works is when you drop your car off, you tell them you have extended warranty coverage. Give them the contract number, and the claims hotline. When your car is diagnosed, they will call that company for approval. What isnt covered will be your responsibility to cover.

Most extended warranty firms will not cover most suspension parts, as they will wear out under normal use. Same to be said of the wheel bearings with some companies. No plan is as good as original factory coverage, but some come close.

Tto me 20k seems high for that R, but with the used car marlet growing in leaps and bounds, it may be the new reality for a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fair Deal on MY05 S60R w/48K miles? (Turb04S60)

Thanks for the prompt response. I am pressing them for the "PremiumCare" plan. It does not mention angle gears specifically, but a list of covered comonents via PDF is at https://www.genuineservice.com...e.pdf

$20K sems high to me too. I wonder what they paid for it at auction (according to Carfax)?

·
Registered
352 Posts

Hi, I got my 06 Sonic with less then 23k miles for 23,875. That included new tires, Blue tooth, dealer installed Sirius and I paid $1200 for an extended Volvo warrantee good till 2014. So your milage will vary as most here will tell you. Personally I never even considered getting a R from anyone but a Volvo dealer That was certified and with the extended Warrantee. But that was just my thing.

Plus this is a GT it seems to be missing the winglets from the Aero Kit on the nose.
05/25/2006 McDonald Volvo Service Littleton, CO Wing/spoiler replaced...
now missing

and the wheel looks chewed up...check them all... I looked on the Volvo site and there are no R's within 500 miles... you are in the R boondocks.lol

Good Luck with your search and welcome Marc

·
Registered
741 Posts

I think it's a little high. I got my 06 in Feb 08 with 6K for 26,500. Economy is in a completely different league since then. I'd offer 16,500 and go from there. It also has the sport body kit, but it looks like the first owner must have had parking or driveway issues, cuz no winglets. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Reguardless of mileage .be attentive to any and all past service items performed at dealer or anywhere else.Get a service record printout first if possible from a local volvo dealer

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Fair Deal on MY05 S60R w/48K miles? (peter_reece2003)

this car is overpriced. If you have some patience I am sure you could get a better deal. Someone on this board just got an 04 with under 20K miles for the same price..just keep looking and be patient. If you are willing to pay 22K for a car that comes very close to what a dealer is selling some leftover 07's on this site (look in the classifieds)...good luck

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

WAy too much for the mileage and as was said, it's missing parts.
Those winglets are now about $275 EACH, plus painting, plus install!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Fair Deal on MY05 S60R w/48K miles? (98glt)

Thanks to each of you for the quick advice today. I walked out.

All the docs from last night's visit were "shredded" so we had to begin all over again today.

Spent two hours playing a shell game with the price, gap, service plans, etc. Done.

Will be in touch again when the right opp shows up. Meantime, my Honda might not be the sexiest--but it's reliable and it runs like a top.

-Joe

·
Registered
284 Posts

I would think you could find a better deal. I wouldn't limit your search to your immediate area. I bet you can find some throughout the country for $17-18k. Possibly with less miles. Use that as a basis to talk your dealership down. As far as warranties go, shop around. I ended up just buying a 5yr powertrain warranty for ~$1600 from a company the dealer uses. I wish I had shopped around first. They gave me a line about having to buy it then and there because they already had the pre-warranty inspection done and if I took delivery and decided to get the warranty a few days later I would need the inspection again. About 6 years ago when I bought my last car I think I paid around $1500 for a 3yr bumper to bumper. Also consider talking to whomever you plan to service your car and see if they prefer working with any specific warranty company. If that is a Volvo dealership they most likely will steer you towards a Volvo CPO. I don't have any experience with Volvo CPO but make sure you know whether it covers failure for any reason, or just manufacturers defects. You may find more things fall under wear and tear with a manufacturer CPO then a third party warranty. Well that's my 2.5 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

I would have passed even before their lame paper issues.

There are a lot of Rs on the market right now, just keep digging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts