SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So beyond the obvious of checking my couplers and vac lines for leaks, what else should I look at for the following issue?:

Low engine low, light throttle, I will hear a whine or screech or humming sound. Only when I give it gas, it goes away immediately after lifting off. If I build boost, I can't hear it. That may be because all I hear is the turbo at that point, or the sound actually goes away.

It's incredibly faint. I've heard angle gear noises before, that doesn't seem to be the situation here, as the AG would constantly make the noises.

Should I rev the engine gently in neutral to see if it still makes the sound? I've been wondering if it's boost related. The turbo has 225k on it after all.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I'm interested to see what people come up with. I had exactly what you are describing but on a 2008 Infiniti EX35. Could only notice with music off completely and even then you really had to concentrate to hear it, almost had to be looking for it. But it was the same thing, if you so much as laid a feather on the gas pedal you could hear it, the instant you let off, gone. And it never got louder or softer with different throttle positions. Like you said, just kind of got drowned out with engine noise.

Never did figure it out because I always drive with some form of music on so I let it go. But I always imagine it was electronic throttle body or fuel pump related hum. Sounded like it was computer derived, not mechanical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts