SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car to be inspected today and failed. Apparently, when the mechanic plugged in the OBDII reader, the Check Engine light went on and the brake light and the traction control flashed (I'm pretty sure that's normal, at least with VIDA). Read the code and U0002 came up, which is a High Speed Canbus Network error. When I got back in the car and started it up, Anti Skid Temporarily Disabled popped up and the CEL stayed on. Restarted it twice and the CEL went away, no more errors.

For background, I did get the warning Alarm Triggered Check Car a few days ago when starting the car, and then have been getting Alarm System Service Required on start up since then. Oddly, when I got it back from the mechanic, it no longer displays that message.

Could the alarm issue be related? I know I likely need a new siren module but figured it would only potentially take out my sunroof and that it wouldn't cause me to fail inspection.

Trying to figure out if I should wait till I fix the alarm issue first, or if it was just a freak issue with the inspection. Apparently after you fail 3 times things get serious.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Is the battery original? CANBUS error says power issue or module on the fritz. Scan it with VIDA and see if the same thing happens.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Battery is not original, though it is about 6-7 years old. Volvo OEM.

Will try to scan with VIDA tonight when I get home.

I guess my main question is, do I replace the alarm siren module, the battery, or the CEM/ECM/whatever module first?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Replace battery and alarm module. Find a used one that will save you some money

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replace battery and alarm module. Find a used one that will save you some money

Is there a way to test the alarm siren battery, either through VIDA or otherwise without cutting the module open? Wondering if a low battery is causing the alarm issues or vice versa. Voltage is pretty steady at 13.6V.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Roll windows down lock the doors wait 60 seconds and reach in and pull the lock up by hand and see if the alarm makes a sound.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roll windows down lock the doors wait 60 seconds and reach in and pull the lock up by hand and see if the alarm makes a sound.

Don't I have to pull a fuse or something? Always figured the point of the battery in the siren module was so if power was cut to it, it would still function. Otherwise it uses the main car battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
He's telling you how to test the function of the siren unit. Often, the battery will fail and destroy the circuitry. I'd not seen the "wait 60 seconds" regarding testing the siren, so I'm guessing that's the part that switches the duty over to the siren battery.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, so I tested it. Flashers went off but no sound from the siren. Following VIDA instructions, I checked the fuse (#38) and it was fine, but upon putting it back in, the siren started going off, albeit at a much reduced volume. Now I can't put it back without the siren going off. No unlocking locking combination would stop the siren from going off, even while the car is on. I'm guessing that's not normal?

Code UEM-0004 for Siren communication fault was present. I'm guessing this means it is a 90% chance this is all due to my siren issues?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I've not experienced that exact sequence of events, but it sure sounds like a failed siren unit. I've been needing to do this since the error shows up every time I turn on the VR and it fails the hand through the window test. After posting the link to the Lisle Volvo deal, I placed my order to finally get it replaced.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turned out to be the alarm siren module, which also probably killed the old-ish battery (or just coincidentally they died at the same time). Replaced both and passed inspection no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts