SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Polestar freaks :)

So I finally have some hard data now after having DO88 intercooler, Ferrita downpipe and Snabb air intake+turbo piping installed. The numbers are cruel. Maybe it reacts faster and sounds faster (the downpipe is 25-30% louder in sport + the sound of air intake) but is not faster at all when on road. There are two controversial conclussions here:

1) Snabb... the air intake cuts power by 12 HP and 30 Nm comparing to series. Most likely the turbo piping is also reducing power but this I will find in nearest future (easy to go back to stock filter, not easy to go back to stock turbo piping and need another day at my shop) Oh yes, the sound of air intake was b e a u t i f u l, but sacrificing power and torque for the sound of air ? Not for me.
My mechanic (familiar with Volvo cars) said he tested several air intakes for Volvos and none of them added power. Simply, Volvo cars like stock air intakes. However there is a chance for some gains when somebody developes an air filter box which charges fresh air just like w stock box.

2) DO88, Ferrita, Snabb turbo piping (without Snabb air intake) increase power by 9 HP and 0 Nm (will see what happens after I have turbo piping removed and back to stock )
DO88 and Ferrita are overrated as well, however very important for ECU tuning I did afterwards.

Here are the numbers and some pics:

RUN3 Standard Polestar with no mods, no ECU tuning (349,4 HP 525,5 torque)
RUN1 is with all the mods (do88,Ferrita,Snabb air filter and turbo piping) installed, no ECU tuning (337,5 HP, 496,4 torque)

RUN1 - the mods without Snabb air filter (358 HP, 523,8 torque)
RUN3 Standard Polestar with no mods, no ECU tuning (349,4 HP 525,5 torque)

Waiting for production of the inlet manifold now.
Will keep you guys updated :)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Subbed. Interested in the Snabb intake (or similar) for fun sounds and possible tuning down the road, but not if it actually decreases power output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to hear Snabb's opinion on this as they were to suppose follow up with dyno testing after they released the intake pipe. It seems like the Ferrita DP and DO88 IC have been verified independently, but I haven't seen anything from Snabb.
Good point ! So now you know why we didn't see any dyno results ;) I'm very interested in their opinion.
As far as conditions are concerned they were similar during all dyno runs. I've been running the mods for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Subbed. Interested in the Snabb intake (or similar) for fun sounds and possible tuning down the road, but not if it actually decreases power output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested, and curious as well...

Marco.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Interesting results. We did dyno testing with the intake pipe on two different cars as well as flow testing on the intake pipe and those results were posted but due to scheduling conflicts we never actually got before and after on the airbox. We are working on scheduling that now to get the before and after data. I am curious what the relative humidity was on the different runs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My elevation is 250 meters above see level and all runs were at similar conditions, relative humidity was 70%. The fact is that the same day and only minutes apart the standard airbox performed better than Snabb's. I am guessing that there are some more important issues having an affect like sucking warm dirty air from engine bay unlike stock airbox does.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Hi thanks for your patience. Today we were able to finally get the dyno figures you've been waiting for. The testing was done on a 2012 S60R R-design with Stock polestar tune. The turbos are very similar and regardless of the R-design and Polestar having differences, the airbox is the same and with our testing the stock airbox showed a restriction vs Snabb.

The cars mods are:
ferrita Downpipe
3" staright pipe cat back
do88 intercooler
Snabb turbo intake pipe
Snabb intercooler piping .... these are the base modifications. The only variable between the runs was the airboxes.

The dyno was operated by a third party - Enhanced Street Performance on an AWD mustang Dynometer. We don't have the sheets yet, they will be available next week.

Results:

Run 1 base mods (listed above) with STOCK airbox 287 AWHP / 348 AWTQ
Run 2 base mods (listed above) with SNABB High flow airbox 295 AWH /357 AWTQ

We will continue our own testing to vet these kits but the initial data confirms a gain on this vehicle when comparing Stock to the Snabb aribox. I don't want to take over this thread just offer up what we found on our test car. I will be posting this on one of our own threads and am happy to continue discussion there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi thanks for your patience. Today we were able to finally get the dyno figures you've been waiting for. The testing was done on a 2012 S60R R-design with Stock polestar tune. The turbos are very similar and regardless of the R-design and Polestar having differences, the airbox is the same and with our testing the stock airbox showed a restriction vs Snabb.

The cars mods are:
ferrita Downpipe
do88 intercooler
Snabb turbo intake pipe
Snabb intercooler piping .... these are the base modifications. The only variable between the runs was the airboxes.

The dyno was operated by a third party - Enhanced Street Performance on an AWD mustang Dynometer. We don't have the sheets yet, they will be available next week.

Results:

We will continue our own testing to vet these kits but the initial data confirms a gain on this vehicle when comparing Stock to the Snabb aribox. I don't want to take over this thread just offer up what we found on our test car. I will be posting this on one of our own threads and am happy to continue discussion there.
Isnt this a different engine, installation and body to the current model???
This will perform differently and cannot be compared to the polestar.
All this shows is the kit for this car works.
Do you have any dyno data for the 14my > t6 polestar? Now that would be interesting :)

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The cars mods are:
ferrita Downpipe
do88 intercooler
Snabb turbo intake pipe

Results:

Kristian I appreciate your response and your gains as well however in my opinion your post is a little bit off topic here since we're talking about 2015 V60 Polestar 350 HP engineered not optimised. I understand it works for your test car (which has similar mods installed and the same stock airbox) but would love to see the same results (gains) on a car in which most people here are interested in.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Kristian I appreciate your response and your gains as well however in my opinion your post is a little bit off topic here since we're talking about 2015 V60 Polestar 350 HP engineered not optimised. I understand it works for your test car (which has similar mods installed and the same stock airbox) but would love to see the same results (gains) on a car in which most people here are interested in.
Hi Guys, Thanks for your responses. You're right even though the airbox is the same, mods are similar and engine is the same. I agree we need to do this same testing on the Polestar models. We will work to get that arranged locally. Thanks for your patience

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Guys, Thanks for your responses. You're right even though the airbox is the same, mods are similar and engine is the same. I agree we need to do this same testing on the Polestar models. We will work to get that arranged locally. Thanks for your patience
Isnt the '12 s60r a 2.5ltr 5pot??

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts