SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a couple of threads discussing the ability to upgrade the headlights to the factory xenon lights in cars that came with halogen. The closest someone got (that I can find) was buying the headlight but they didn't have the ballasts to try it out.

Well I found a complete headlight for a great deal (bulb, ballasts, ignitor, housing, etc.) and decided to buy it and see if it worked. If it did then I'd consider spending the cash to get the second headlight. I did not expect ABL to work for obvious reasons but I was hoping that I could plug the headlight in and have the bulbs working. Turns out that isn't the case.

The parking lights work in the xenon housing but the actual low beam doesn't ignite when I turn my lights on. Since they are lower power than the halogens I don't suspect it's a fuse issue and unfortunately I don't have an S80 with factory xenons to make sure the bulb and ballast aren't bad on the one I have.

The only thing I can think of is the wiring harness or the software in the car. The wiring harness seems like something I do not want to tackle because the wiring goes back into the engine compartment and I would be completely unable to change it on my own (I don't even know if the wiring is different on cars with xenon). It's also possible that the car needs software in order to activate the ignitor or something. I don't know if simply sending power to the headlight makes everything happen automatically.

So I'm at a loss with whether there are any cost effective steps to take to make it work. Thankfully I have the option of returning the headlight.

If anyone out there was contemplating trying this out know that it is not simply a matter of buying the headlight parts and plugging it in. I guess I'm stuck with halogens for the rest of my car's (now shortened) life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not an expert but this is definitely not plug and play. In cars with xenon there are a number of sensors on the sway bars and steering to let the computer know how to aim them (up / down / left / right). Halogen cars won't have these. Also, you're probably right about software and such.

Sorry but these cars seem way too complicated for this. Maybe you should consider an aftermarket xenon kit?? but make sure you aim them right or you'll be blinding others.

Cheers!

Ian

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I stated I wasn't expecting ABL to work. The goal was to see if the low beam would actually ignite without any other modifications, upgrades, etc. The complete headlight I purchased was so cheap that it was worth a shot and if it didn't work I was able to return it.

I won't go aftermarket though because it's not worth it. There's no way I'd put a kit in the halogen housings and trying to rig something up in the projector headlamps just isn't worth it. If everything goes according to plan I'll only have the car for another year or so at which point I'll trade it in toward an E350 or E550 coupe. I'll make sure that one has the HIDs already!

Really though, the lack of HIDs is the biggest disappointment I have with my car. I didn't think I would mind it that much but after being used to them in my previous car not having them at night drove me crazy. Using Silverstar bulbs made it a little less annoying but I'm still really bothered by the light. I guess I'm just picky.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Retrofitting OE xenons on any Volvo is not plug and play.

It's well known on SS. Yes, others have gone aftermarket but I don't think these are safe.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Retrofitting OE xenons on any Volvo is not plug and play.

It's well known on SS.
Maybe elsewhere but not in the S80 forum where it has come up several times without an adequate answer.

And considering how poorly the search function operates it's not exactly easy to locate information in forum subsections you don't frequent. The entire point of me trying it out was to get a definitive answer that applied to the second generation S80 so that people in this forum did not have to guess or look elsewhere for the information which is not readily available for their cars.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the same issue with the halogen head lamps. I did find a quick fix though...not the best, but way better than stock. H11 to H9 bulb mod.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Saw a brand news 2012 S80 T6 OSD...even had both the front and rear Zoll plates and guess what. The car came with Halogen lamps! Yes, non-hid! The difference...the front lens has a diffuser right over the clear park lights. Not sure what that was for but I'll upload some pictures later today. BTW, ths had the S80 Inscription package - gorgeous interior!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts